Tamron 18-400 for you "one-lens" fans

pierces

• 2 weeks later...
Looks like it's not a bad all-in-one option. Not for everyone, but advances in design are making these lenses perform way better than a few years ago.

DP Review first impressions:

https://www.dpreview.com/samples/9152094990/gallery-impressions-tamron-18-400-f3-5-6-3

Dave

Thank you!!! I heard about the Tamron here on CC a few months ago and have been interested but have been hesitant since I've seen mixed reviews. I'm one of the once who was commenting and seeking opinions here on CC. When looking at reviews, a lot depends on who the reviewer is (professional or novice), so this link has been very helpful in getting the kind of information I've been looking for. I didn't want to even consider the investment for convenience if I'd be losing quality. I'm not a professional photographer (far from it), but do enjoy taking pictures and I'm always trying to improve on the pictures I take.

So...

Did you get it? If so, what is your reaction?

No, I didn't get it...yet. Now that I've seen this post and some first hand experience with it, I am seriously considering. We are splurging for a dream vacation to celebrate our 25th anniversary in September (Hawaii), so am on the fence for a couple reasons. First, the cost. Since we just booked this vacation, I'm hesitant to spend this much right now. Second reason is that I would need time to practice and get used to it and see how the pictures come out. The lenses I have now are the two that I got with my camera seven years ago, so I'm familiar and comfortable with them.

I will be going through seven years of loose change I have accumulated throughout the house to see if I have enough. Believe it or not, that is what I used to purchase my Canon Rebel T1I in 2010. It's amazing how that loose change adds up over the years. If I have enough, then I will take that as a sign that I'm meant to have it now and if not, then I'll wait. :)

• 1 month later...

Got mine from LensRentals today. First impressions (just taking pictures of the TV set) - its a lot lighter than I thought it would be (that doesn't mean it is light) - about the same as my SigmaArt 18-105. Very sharp though at least at the low end zoom. Probably not the greatest low light lens (no way to easily test right now).

The zoom extension is very odd, instead of the more typical backward facing gaps, they are front facing (I know I am not explaining it well) which would make me very hesitant to use it in sandy or dusty environments (even if sealed I would be concerned about gumming up the zoom mechanism. Zoom is fluid at the low end, a little stiff at the high.

Rental was $96 including their insurance (f-stop case, filter and hood included for free) - $25 for round trip shipping via fedex ground - plus tax. Plus I have a promo credit for $25 off next order until end of year.

I was very impressed with their packing materials, they even included tape to reseal the box when I send it back. The lens was packed in bubble wrap inside the case, the case inside a custom foam insert, inside a heavy cardboard box.

Thanks, please let us know how the pictures turn out. By the way what does a two week rental cost?

• 2 weeks later...

I'll post more details later and some sample pics (still editing) but overall I have to say I was pretty happy with the lens. It suffered a little in low light conditions, but I expected that, but generally speaking was pretty sharp across the range (some minor edge softness in the very long and very short range but LR lens adjustments handled that easily)

I'll post more details later and some sample pics (still editing) but overall I have to say I was pretty happy with the lens. It suffered a little in low light conditions, but I expected that, but generally speaking was pretty sharp across the range (some minor edge softness in the very long and very short range but LR lens adjustments handled that easily)

Glad to hear. Were pictures sharp at 400mm?

Only editing on this was adding some blue to the clouds... (250mm),

Germany%20ABD%202017-363-X3.jpg

I rarely went to 400mm, let me see if I can find a photo I kept at that range...

Here's one:

Germany%20ABD%202017-37-X3.jpg

Interestingly, lightroom keeps thinking its a Sigma 70-300...

quote=mskaufman;54210728]Glad to hear. Were pictures sharp at 400mm?

I'll be buying one as soon as I have the budget, my 18-255 will be retired, probably to my Nephew.

I want to be clear its not the greatest lens ever, but especially on a crop sensor the value/performance ratio is really good.

When all is said and done, I will probably reduce my lens kit for the D500 to the 150-600, 18-400 tamrons and the sigma arts 24-105 and nifty 50. The 90/10 rule seems to certainly apply here (I was looking at my 300mm and realized I can't remember the last time it left the house)

Loonbeam,

I've also been posting on this thread with interest in the Tamron lens, so thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience with it and the pictures. I have been considering it, but now am really leaning towards purchasing one.

I'll be buying one as soon as I have the budget, my 18-255 will be retired, probably to my Nephew.

I want to be clear its not the greatest lens ever, but especially on a crop sensor the value/performance ratio is really good.

When all is said and done, I will probably reduce my lens kit for the D500 to the 150-600, 18-400 tamrons and the sigma arts 24-105 and nifty 50. The 90/10 rule seems to certainly apply here (I was looking at my 300mm and realized I can't remember the last time it left the house)

Again, thank you. I think the Tamron would be great for my needs as well since I'm not a professional and it would eliminate the need for two different lenses. The lenses I currently have are "kit lenses" and I have seen reports that "kit lenses" aren't the greatest lenses either. :)

They are not, but usually decent, and have 3 advantages (cheap, fairly light and fairly forgiving) so they are great for people starting out or who just don't want to get too heavily into lenses...

Again, thank you. I think the Tamron would be great for my needs as well since I'm not a professional and it would eliminate the need for two different lenses. The lenses I currently have are "kit lenses" and I have seen reports that "kit lenses" aren't the greatest lenses either. :)