I may have to go full-frame...

pierces

...if Sony keeps pumping these things out.

A7r III announced with a new 42MP sensor and a lot of the whoop-dee-do features of the A9. May top the D850 in IQ and shoots at 10 fps in shutter and silent modes. 24-105 f/4 FE and 400 f/2.8 FE announced as well.

Explains the huge price drop on the A7r II this week. ;)

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3426999280/sony-a7r-iii-promises-faster-bursts-better-focusing-and-longer-battery-life

Hey, Sony...APS-C users need some love too!

Dave

Dave

Dave, no matter what you have, something new and better will be along next week. I firmly believe that cameras today are at a level that it is much more about the skills of the photographer than what the camera can do. I cannot even imagine what I would do with a 42mp file.

Just bought my 6500 and am still trying to figure it out. Love the size for travel.

BUT, if I do go full frame in the future, this is the sort of thing that will push me there!

Unfortunately, I think we've got photography now obeying a version of Moore's Law. Eventually, there will be a point of diminished returns for all but the top professional photographers. And Sony "may" be more susceptible just because their history isn't as long.

In my very short experience with Sony, and looking at glass, I do think their current investment is in full frame. There's some great APS-C glass out there, but I'm not seeing a lot of native glass from Sony. Sigma does seem to be filling in some of the blanks (and of course you can use FE glass on the APS-C bodies), and their 30mm 1.4 DC DN lens looks great (have the Canon version, but it's a pig to actually carry!).

So, we'll see.

It's a fairly similar path that Sony is on with E-mount now as Canon and Nikon already established with their DSLR lines. Release some APS-C lenses to get interest going, then really develop the full-frame lens collection and keep that strong. Most new investment goes to full-frame lenses over APS-C for the obvious financial benefits but also because those lenses are universally compatible to all cameras in that mount, while APS-C lenses cut out a large chunk of users in that mount.

Everyone knows how huge Canon's very well established EF lens collection is. But how many APS-C specific lenses does Canon have? 12 (not including newer versions of the same focal range). And only 1 new one released in the last 2 years, plus two updated versions of existing focals. Nikon has 26, 4 of which are updated versions of the same focal range. Sony's e-mount has 16 APS-C lenses. So clearly, they're following a similar strategy...and I suspect new APS-C lenses will come - primarily a newer updated version of an existing focal, plus every 2-3 years maybe a new focal lens. While FE lenses will continue to come at a torrid pace, to cover the needs of both full-frame shooters AND APS-C shooters.

I can honestly say I don't really have a deep need for too many NEW APS-C lenses...but I'd like to see some updated and improved versions of existing lenses - especially a better 16mm prime, a better 16-50/18-50 kit, and a better cheap mid-range zoom (ie: 55-210). Otherwise, I'm thrilled with every FE lens I've ever purchased...and with third party development starting to fill some holes in APS-C that Sony hasn't (Sigma's 30mm F1.4, and upcoming 16mm F1.4), I'm quite happy in APS-C land at the moment!

I agree that Sony is following the basic path of Canon and Nikon; the near mantra of Canon was "no EF/S L glass", and they stuck to it.

Right now, I only have the Sony/Zeiss 16-70 f/4. So far it's a great lens, and I love the size. I will "probably" add the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 in the not too distant future (although the dimensions on B&H are far too similar to my Canon mount version), and would like a decent macro lens, which will probably be the 90mm G lens, although the 50mm Zeiss Tuit looks interesting. I picked up a Vello adapter and it really didn't autofocus well at all with my Canon 60mm macro (the better adapters are almost as much as a lens, and add back the bulk I was trying to get rid of).

What I don't see, that would admittedly be largely redundant with the 16-70, is a 17-55 f/2.8 or 17-50 f/2.8, which is kind of the bread and butter high end standard zoom for APS-C with Canon. I have the Sigma for Canon and it's just a great lens.

What I don't see, that would admittedly be largely redundant with the 16-70, is a 17-55 f/2.8 or 17-50 f/2.8, which is kind of the bread and butter high end standard zoom for APS-C with Canon. I have the Sigma for Canon and it's just a great lens.

Redundant is good if the f/2.8 version of a short zoom was fairly compact. I would probably get it as an alternate for the 16-50 PZ when I have the room but don't want to haul the "daily-driver" 18-105 G around.

I am really in no hurry to rush to full-frame. As stated often, I love the form factor of the A6x00 cameras and except for a bump in grip depth for the larger NP-FZ100 battery, I hope they keep it pretty much as-is for the next generation.

Dave