Doctors Cave Beach - Is it best? Is it fun?

We will be porting in Montego Bay, and just want to take a cab to a beach with nice sand and enjoy a few hours of swimming.

Doctors Cave Beach looks to be our best bet. Would you agree?

I’ve heard that it’s not safe to travel around without using a cruise line excursion, but I’m wondering if that’s true or if it’s just the cruise lines trying to scare people into booking with them.

We will have a 6yrold and an 8yrold with us.

It's been about 6 years since we've been to Doctor's Cave beach, but when we went, it was nice. There only down side is the women trying to sell you a massage. It gets a bit annoying, but they aren't pushy. They'll leave you alone after a while. All in all, I'd go back.

Don't walk around in town. Get a cab from the cruise terminal and have them drop you off at the entrance of Doctor's Cave beach . If you leave the general area of the beach entrance, you'll be accosted by swarms of locals trying to sell you pot and braid your hair. Doctor's Cave (and all the other attractions around it like Margaritaville have security out front and the locals stay clear). You can safely walk from the beach to Margaritaville.

I do recall it being a bit of a chore to get a cab at the cruise terminal (but no problem from the beach to the terminal). The terminal will be packed full of tour buses and vans. You need to tell one of the security people in the drive up area that you want a cab, and they'll get one for you.

The cab drive will try his best to convince you to go somewhere on the other side of the island. Just keep telling him you are meeting the rest of your party at Doctor's Cave.

We will be porting in Montego Bay, and just want to take a cab to a beach with nice sand and enjoy a few hours of swimming.

Doctors Cave Beach looks to be our best bet. Would you agree?

I’ve heard that it’s not safe to travel around without using a cruise line excursion, but I’m wondering if that’s true or if it’s just the cruise lines trying to scare people into booking with them.

We will have a 6yrold and an 8yrold with us.

I have only been to Jamaica 1 time (12 years ago)and when we did we stayed at a very expensive place, there were guards with guns strapped to their chests at the gate. That being said I felt comfortable while there and ventured out to Duns Falls with no problems. With kids, I may side with the cruise line in booking with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Were there in November

There are security guards. You are still approached for drug sales but once you decline they do not come back

Police are usually out front directing traffic so you aren't hassled in front of the club

Walk either way about 20 feet and it's a completely different story

They tell you at the port which is the only taxi/shuttle certified and make sure you take that one back

Although we enjoyed the beach we were hassled so badly when we made the mistake of taking a walk my husband said we are never getting off at Jamaica ports again

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app