Jinteros (street hustlers) in Havana, Santiago de Cuba and Cienfueguero

ebslcc

I found this great list of tips on Cuba travel: http://first2board.com/pointssummary/2015/04/14/100-things-i-learned-from-my-recent-trip-to-havana-cuba/

7. There are a lot of Jineteros in Habana Vieja (Old Habana) – If you’re wandering around in the historic Old Havana area, prepared to be pestered like crazy with a “Hi, my friend!” for a ride into their classic car, Coco taxi, pedicab, and taxi. Some of them will also try to sell you fake cigars and bother males for prostitutes and hookers. A lot of people on the internet give Jineteros and Jineteras (female hustlers) a bad name, but I see it as a form of entrepreneurship because after all, the Cuban salary is equivalent to $20 USD a month. All you have to do is politely say “No, gracias”, walk away and they will prey on their next victim.

Another article on Jineteros in Old Havana:

https://www.travelyesplease.com/travel-blog-hustled-and-hassled-in-havana/

We are protected from Jinteros in Havana since we are going to be on a private tour. Does anyone know if the problems are similar in Santiago and Cienfuegos? better than Old Havana?

Thanks!

Laurence

Greetings

They will also offer to show you the best shops, bars, etc and then want money for their guide services. When you give them a few CUCs they will demand more and/or give you a sob story about their hungry children.

We found them to be more aggressive in Santiago than in Havana (we missed the Cienfuegos stop due to an oil spill). Maybe it's because Havana is more spread out than Santiago or because there were many more tourist for them to target in Havana. They can be annoying but they never seemed threatening.

Good Sailing

Tom

We spent a full day and night in Havana. There was the occasional person dressed up to pose for pictures, a few trying to sell you cigars and 1 person in a wheelchair with a coin cup. I agree with Magnetchef a polite "No thank you" sends them on their way. In my opinion there are more people trying to sell you in the ports of the other Caribbean Islands and the tourist areas in the USA.

Never bothered us in Havana,

There were the 'ladies' in costume who would posr for photos. But a polite "No thanks" worked.

Thanks! How much were they asking for a photo?

I read that some museums in Santiago charges photo fee (5 cuc). Using your camera at the Tropicana show is also 5 cuc!