Sandcastle or Rainbow Beach?

tamilyn

Walking to Sandcastle is very do-able, I did it last year with a girlfriend and we had no problems, Drake is right there are no sidewalks but if you have any sense at all you would not walk down the center of the road. We stayed on the side off the road and even though cars past us we were not in danger, similar to any country road, but I guess if you are a city person this may be an issue. It was a lovely walk.

• 2 weeks later...
Walking to Sandcastle is very do-able, I did it last year with a girlfriend and we had no problems, Drake is right there are no sidewalks but if you have any sense at all you would not walk down the center of the road. We stayed on the side off the road and even though cars past us we were not in danger, similar to any country road, but I guess if you are a city person this may be an issue. It was a lovely walk.

Thank you for the input. I suppose I should clarify a bit, if you know how to safely walk down a road with traffic moving opposite to how you're used to (if you're from the states) then you are welcome to walk. My concern is when there are groups walking south from town (presumably headed for Sandcastle) in the left lane oblivious to the traffic coming up behind them. Same thing at the end of the day just reversed. As I've said, we like to drive fast on the beach road, it's where a lot of people go to show off their vehicles on Sundays, it's not a safe place to be walking in the lanes.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Rainbow gets too crazy on a ship day, jetskis and loud music are not my cup of tea.

Sandcastle is a bit expensive for food, otherwise it's perfect. Very relaxing and peaceful with beautiful views and great snorkeling.

So, Drake, I noticed your signature about asking you anything about St Croix... Soooo...what's the best beach to go to that's close enough to the port that we can take a taxi to? A beach bar would be cool, but not needed. We really like the "off the beaten path" type places. Amenities and entertainment are not necessary, but we don't need to avoid them either. Just want a beautiful beach and sunshine!

Also, any places you'd recommend for shopping, hand crafted by locals items & unique items are what we are after. None of that touristy junk!

Thanks in advance!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
So, Drake, I noticed your signature about asking you anything about St Croix... Soooo...what's the best beach to go to that's close enough to the port that we can take a taxi to? A beach bar would be cool, but not needed. We really like the "off the beaten path" type places. Amenities and entertainment are not necessary, but we don't need to avoid them either. Just want a beautiful beach and sunshine!

Also, any places you'd recommend for shopping, hand crafted by locals items & unique items are what we are after. None of that touristy junk!

Thanks in advance!

I'm so sorry I missed this one! After the storms I wasn't around here much so I'm trying to catch up now.

You've probably already been here but I'll answer anyway in case it helps someone.

The best off-the-beaten-path beach in the world is Sandy Point at the southwest tip of the island. There are no amenities there of any kind since it's a wildlife refuge, and it's closed from April-August for turtle nesting season, but if you time it right you may be the only people on 2 miles of perfect white sand beach. It's absolutely incredible!

There's more info here: http://www.gotostcroix.com/st-croix-beaches/sandy-point/

Please plan appropriately as there are no amenities of any kind and limited shade.

For good shopping in Frederiksted I would recommend the courtyard behind Polly's and walking along the waterfront, there are lots of cute boutiques and shops along there.

Hope this helps someone!

Sorry, just going back through this thread and saw I missed this post. That could work for you, the first thing you'll hit is Freedom City and they'll take good care of you.

Is Freedom City open again? I read they had a fire after the hurricane and that they were wiped out.

Thank you Drake for all your knowledge. I've just read this entire thread!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The beach (sand) at Rainbow was wonderful. Chairs and umbrellas were $10 each and the bar had good, strong, reasonable drinks.

In the water, the bottom drops off quickly and is quite rocky. I highly recommend wearing water shoes.

-F-

• 3 months later...
Quick question,

From either Sandcastle or Rainbow, how difficult to get cab to Cuzan Rum Tour? Approximate cab time and tour time? Also would it be difficult to get cab back to ship?

Easy to catch a cab, 12 minute travel time, $10 each way. Make arrangements with the driver for the trip back.

• 5 weeks later...

Drake

Have been reading your very informative posts - thank you for taking the time to help everyone.

We will be in St Croix this coming Christmas Day - will shops/bars be open? We are thinking of going to Sandcastle Beach - will we be able to get taxis easily enough? What time do you think we should get there to make sure we get chairs and umbrellas?

Thanks so much.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...
Drake

Have been reading your very informative posts - thank you for taking the time to help everyone.

We will be in St Croix this coming Christmas Day - will shops/bars be open? We are thinking of going to Sandcastle Beach - will we be able to get taxis easily enough? What time do you think we should get there to make sure we get chairs and umbrellas?

Thanks so much.

Chris

It's really hard to say, we've never had a ship ON Christmas Day since I've lived here so it's hard for me to know. The carnival starts the next day so people may be busy setting up for that also. I would imagine the bars will still be open but I'm not sure what shops will have employees willing to work. Taxis should be running just fine and I wouldn't worry about Sandcastle running out of anything, get there whenever you like.

• 1 month later...

I saw that the beach pool at Sandcastle is under construction until end of November.  I would like to go somewhere with a pretty beach, pretty water, shade/umbrellas and lounge chairs, facilities (we are an older group and like our amenities) and someplace we can get a drink or two.  Without the construction noise.  Have been to Sandcastle, and wondering how Rainbow compares.  We were also considering Cane Bay for the snorkeling as well.  Would love some input from a local!

Thank you!

On 10/30/2018 at 9:33 PM, Denise&Paul STL said:

I saw that the beach pool at Sandcastle is under construction until end of November.  I would like to go somewhere with a pretty beach, pretty water, shade/umbrellas and lounge chairs, facilities (we are an older group and like our amenities) and someplace we can get a drink or two.  Without the construction noise.  Have been to Sandcastle, and wondering how Rainbow compares.  We were also considering Cane Bay for the snorkeling as well.  Would love some input from a local!

Thank you!

I'm so glad you mentioned the pool at Sandcastle! From all the reading on this thread, that's where I would be heading on the 11th. Boy wouldn't we have been disappointed (as part of that "older group", too)!

I will be very interested in the answers you receive now that I'm looking for a "plan B" :) 

• 3 weeks later...

The construction is not bad at Sandcastle (and is producing some AMAZING results!). My wife and I just spent the day there yesterday with a stateside visitor and had a wonderful time lounging on the deck, enjoying the bar, and swimming in the sea. I still highly recommend it. The pool is actually finished structurally, they are just wrapping up the filter system before it goes into service.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, ChrissieB said:

Can you still just turn up on the day and buy a day pass?

Yes they don't take reservations.  I was there on December 9th and had a great time. It is $10.00 per person for a chair and shared umbrella.