Iona Deck Plans

h3rjp

Now they’ve been released, in very excited about this ship. Probably like many of you, I enjoy looking over the details.

https://www.pocruises.com/global/deckplans/Iona/Iona_Deckplans_2019-20.pdf

Here’s my observations:

Lots of lifts and stairs: Should be easier to get around with 2x 8 banks of lifts and 1x6 bank of lifts. Plus mid, aft and fwd all seem to have top to bottom staircases

Pools and Hot tubs: always shy away from Britannia because it seemed under pooled for the size. Iona seems to have *lots* of hot tubs. Not sure what infinity ones on deck might be, but hey ho!

Outside space: seems to be quite a lot of it. And a proper walkable promenade deck. I know some of the space will be taken up with eateries, but I would imagine for those like me who like to get their 07:00 sea stroll in, it’s going to be great.

Odd Cabins: I’m not struck on the deck 8 balcony cabins that are “visible” from the promenade. It would be a bit like sleeping in a beach hut?! I’m keen to see what these look like in real life, but there goes my strategy of taking a balcony guarantee and hoping for the best!

That were just my observations from a quick look over. The ship seems to has to re thought in the design. I’m no p&o cheerleader, but I can’t wait to try it.

What does everyone else think?

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Forums

Agree with you, very excited. We've registered for the Maiden Voyage and can't wait. It's excellent that it's longer than all the other cruises as well.

The Dome area looks interesting, along with The Quays.

My Husband is very pleased there is an Andersons. I'm looking forward to The Olive Grove restaurant.

We went on Azura's Maiden and loved every minute, so we're hoping this will be as good.

Cruise Puss

Where was Azuras maiden voyage too?

Cruisefan2012

It went down to the Med, taking in Majorca, Venice and Hvar amongst others. It was 17 nights long. It was the first time they had a Glass House and Sindhu on board, as well as having the Sea Screen so it was very exciting.:)

We had an amazing time! Really hoping this will be as good. :)

It went down to the Med, taking in Majorca, Venice and Hvar amongst others. It was 17 nights long. It was the first time they had a Glass House and Sindhu on board, as well as having the Sea Screen so it was very exciting.:)

We had an amazing time! Really hoping this will be as good. :)

Azura's maiden voyage departed Southampton in April 2010 and was a 16nt cruise.

Azura's maiden voyage departed Southampton in April 2010 and was a 16nt cruise.

Good God - I'm soo sorry for having put 17 instead of 16. I didn't check the list I had of every single cruise I've ever taken.

Honestly, this is why I avoid forums and will now do so forever more. :rolleyes:

Good God - I'm soo sorry for having put 17 instead of 16. I didn't check the list I had of every single cruise I've ever taken.

Honestly, this is why I avoid forums and will now do so forever more. :rolleyes:

Why was only stating a fact and had no intention to upset.

Have to say that the pre launch blurb hadn’t sold me on Iona, but I was heartened by studying the deck plans to see that all of Britannia’s shortcomings seem to have been addressed and she has everything that we like on the various other ships. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised enough to book the maiden cruise and intend to work our way around all of the Select Dining restaurants during the 9 nights!

I just wish P&O would announce which dining venues will have a surcharge unless they already have and I have missed it. It does sound impressive the amount of venues but which are included in the cruise price and which are not.

If you’ve missed it, I have too. I had assumed that all restaurants will be extra cost, with the exception of the main dining room and buffet, but I guess the ‘street food’ venues could be either/or. What intrigues me is the two small main dining rooms. As we know that all of the MDR’s are freedom dining, I wonder how the restaurants will be allocated or indeed if it will be a case of ‘take your pick’.

I just wish P&O would announce which dining venues will have a surcharge unless they already have and I have missed it. It does sound impressive the amount of venues but which are included in the cruise price and which are not.

Yes, agreed it would be useful to have clarification on the select dining venues.

I think 'take your pick' could be a nightmare. As they are doing things very differently, maybe they will have a central 'reception' for all 4 mdr's that you go to and then be allocated a dining room & table???

The P&O website now says 8 speciality eateries so I would guess that could be

Olive Grove

Sindhu

Keel & Cow

Glasshouse

Limelight Club

Epicurean

Beach House

Skydome Pizzeria & Grill (maybe just in the evenings as a Grill???)

Vistas Cafe - Eric Lanlard

Just my speculation though!

I'm expecting the 'street food' to be included. I think they just need extra space to feed everyone. Also I don't think anyone would pay extra for fish and chips and burgers.

Agreed, as you know currently there is no charge for the likes of Pizza and burgers etc. so hopefully it will be the same for IONA.

I'm expecting the 'street food' to be included. I think they just need extra space to feed everyone. Also I don't think anyone would pay extra for fish and chips and burgers.

I hope that you are right (and suspect that you are), but a lot of people do currently pay extra for fish & chips and burgers, albeit posh ones, in the Glasshouse & Beach House!

If you have received the new brochure in the past few days there is a ship comparison near the back which gives you the details of which eateries are included.

There must be more than one brochure doing the rounds then. I have received a brochure (23 pages) but there is not a ship comparison in it anywhere...

Mine hasn't either.

I was disappointed with the brochure as I was expecting it to have a lot more details on Iona. The cabin details don't even specify sizes. Surely they know that?

Non of the recent brochures give exact sizes which is why I have kept one from 2009

Of course that does not help with Britannia.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What worries me is the possible lack of space. Not the biggest ship at sea, but with more passengers than the biggest. Doesn’t that equal too many people and nowhere to sit? Especially in the bad weather you may encounter in the fjords.

Only time will tell!

What worries me is the possible lack of space. Not the biggest ship at sea, but with more passengers than the biggest. Doesn’t that equal too many people and nowhere to sit? Especially in the bad weather you may encounter in the fjords.

Only time will tell!

I'm glad you have raised this as I think it is a very valid point. I have shied away from saying it as I am unlikely to ever sail on her but as someone generally interested in ships, it is something I have been thinking. Something that has also struck me since seeing the deck plans is the seemingly huge amount of space allocated to restaurant areas - it seems far more than general entertainment or relaxing areas.

As you have said, only time will tell and people will know once they have sailed on her. I hope for all those that do that passenger flow is good and that she doesn't feel too crowded.