Help with ports of call on the Gulf

izzywalker

Hi fellow cruisers

Can you give me any recommendations on what to do/excursions/places to visit on the following ports of call:

Salalah

Muscat

Dubai

Sir bani has island

Abu Dhabi

Manama. Bahrain

Khoralfakken

Khasab

Any help would be wonderful.

Regards

Hi fellow cruisers

Can you give me any recommendations on what to do/excursions/places to visit on the following ports of call:

Salalah

Muscat

Dubai

Sir bani has island

Abu Dhabi

Manama. Bahrain

Khoralfakken

Khasab

Regards

In Muscat we’ve done a dolphin cruise (saw literally hundreds of dolphins) that I organised via internet and on another occasion booked a day pass at the Shangri La hotel which was beautiful

In Abu Dhabi we just did a beach day but can’t remember where - lots of people like to do the F1 thing

In Khor al Fakkan we went to the Oceanic hotel for the day - nice food very nice pool booked via internet

In Khasab (Arabian fjords) we did a dhow boat trip - very nice scenery booked via internet

Dubai - we’ve had brunch in The Burj al Arab (expensive but so worth it) gone to top of Burj Khalifa then seen The Fountain display and the Dubai Mall all in one day

I’m sure there are lots of other alternatives too - I loved the Gulf so have a great trip

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A visit to the mosque in Abu Dhabi is a must do. It is stunning, well worth a visit. They are very strict on dress wear for females. I wore palazzo trousers, long sleeved top, and a pashmina to coer head and shoulders. Do not try to get away with sandals. I wore black, flat pumps, together with black ankle socks to ensure everything was well covered. Entrance is totally free, so just get a taxi, or use the hop on,hop off bus (although you will want to return to the ship ASAP to remove all that gear)

Thanks for the info.

The trip to see the dolphins who did u book with on the internet - can u remember.

Thanks again much appreciated.

Sidab Seatours £27pp but it was 4yrs ago. Picked us up just outside the port and drove us back afterwards so we could go to the Muttrah souk. Honestly we didn’t know where to look there were so many dolphins!

A visit to the mosque in Abu Dhabi is a must do. It is stunning, well worth a visit. They are very strict on dress wear for females. I wore palazzo trousers, long sleeved top, and a pashmina to coer head and shoulders. Do not try to get away with sandals. I wore black, flat pumps, together with black ankle socks to ensure everything was well covered. Entrance is totally free, so just get a taxi, or use the hop on,hop off bus (although you will want to return to the ship ASAP to remove all that gear)

Thought you had to remove shoes going into mosques!

Thanks for the info. Kittyonions

Sidab Seatours £27pp but it was 4yrs ago. Picked us up just outside the port and drove us back afterwards so we could go to the Muttrah souk. Honestly we didn’t know where to look there were so many dolphins!

Great thanks will follow up.

Muscat

We had a group - and split into two:

1) Walk from port around the bay. Beautiful scenery, huge colourful flower beds, can walk to a small tower/turret which gives fabulous views over the bay (its about 150/200 steps to top). For a relaxing, free, scenic day - you can't beat just walking round the Muscat bay. On the way back - 5 minutes from the port is a wonderful souk (admittedly like many you will see in this part of the world).

2) Other group got a taxi at the port and asked the driver to show them round Muscat - simple as that. For about £20 gave a two hour tour to the Palace, the town, and also finished at the souk.

Abu Dhabi

Grand Mosque a must-see. White marble, beautiful, peaceful (despite the massive crowds). Can hold up to 40,000 worshippers. Free to enter. Dress code for men and women (Men - long trousers, no shorts, shirt, no vest tops; Women, long trousers/dress; arms, legs and hair to be covered). Definitely worth the effort.

Manama. Bahrain

Nice to say I've been. Town centre, few shops. Nothing much to go there for. Only good thing was to be able to use the punchline:

"Manama, Do doo bee-do-doo"

Khasab

Very little here - but memorable none the less. Quiet, stunning mountains give a backdrop to the port. In the port (tender access) is a small fort/museum, a military airport and... amazingly … a huge hypermarket (although there seems no-one around to use it!). Not much else.

We went on a cycle excursion from the port, up to little villages in the mountains, saw lakes, historic rock/cave painting and great views.

Whole place had a calm relaxing atmosphere. Great for a half day visit...not much there after that though.

One memorable thing about Muscat and Khasab, the two ports in Oman, was the incredibly friendly welcome of the locals. Not just traders or those trying to get business, but everyone. Muscat - walking down the beautiful prom - the locals would all smile and say hello. In Khasab - in little mountain villages, the locals would stop what they were doing and wave, smile, shout hello at us tourists.

Oman really felt a welcoming place to be. Fabulous.

Enjoy your trip.

Muscat

We had a group - and split into two:

1) Walk from port around the bay. Beautiful scenery, huge colourful flower beds, can walk to a small tower/turret which gives fabulous views over the bay (its about 150/200 steps to top). For a relaxing, free, scenic day - you can't beat just walking round the Muscat bay. On the way back - 5 minutes from the port is a wonderful souk (admittedly like many you will see in this part of the world).

2) Other group got a taxi at the port and asked the driver to show them round Muscat - simple as that. For about £20 gave a two hour tour to the Palace, the town, and also finished at the souk.

Abu Dhabi

Grand Mosque a must-see. White marble, beautiful, peaceful (despite the massive crowds). Can hold up to 40,000 worshippers. Free to enter. Dress code for men and women (Men - long trousers, no shorts, shirt, no vest tops; Women, long trousers/dress; arms, legs and hair to be covered). Definitely worth the effort.

Manama. Bahrain

Nice to say I've been. Town centre, few shops. Nothing much to go there for. Only good thing was to be able to use the punchline:

"Manama, Do doo bee-do-doo"

Khasab

Very little here - but memorable none the less. Quiet, stunning mountains give a backdrop to the port. In the port (tender access) is a small fort/museum, a military airport and... amazingly … a huge hypermarket (although there seems no-one around to use it!). Not much else.

We went on a cycle excursion from the port, up to little villages in the mountains, saw lakes, historic rock/cave painting and great views.

Whole place had a calm relaxing atmosphere. Great for a half day visit...not much there after that though.

One memorable thing about Muscat and Khasab, the two ports in Oman, was the incredibly friendly welcome of the locals. Not just traders or those trying to get business, but everyone. Muscat - walking down the beautiful prom - the locals would all smile and say hello. In Khasab - in little mountain villages, the locals would stop what they were doing and wave, smile, shout hello at us tourists.

Oman really felt a welcoming place to be. Fabulous.

Enjoy your trip.

I agree - Oman, particularly, was majestic. We saw the Shangri La hotel on the way back from our dolphin cruise and said I’d we ever came back we’d spend they day there, and we did! The sea was like warm bath water in early June. No wonder the dolphins seem to congregate in such numbers there

Hi fellow cruisers

Salalah

Muscat

Dubai

Sir bani has island

Abu Dhabi

Manama. Bahrain

Khoralfakken

Khasab

Regards

Just looking back at docs from that cruise - at Khor al Fakkan there is a courtesy shuttle bus just at the port that runs back and forth all day to the Oceanic Hotel - it was £10pp for the use of beach/pool including a lovely buffet lunch. Think we did this because there wasn’t too much to see at this port

In Khasab we book the dhow boat cruise with Khourshem tours which was £21pp

Hope this helps

Just looking back at docs from that cruise - at Khor al Fakkan there is a courtesy shuttle bus just at the port that runs back and forth all day to the Oceanic Hotel - it was £10pp for the use of beach/pool including a lovely buffet lunch. Think we did this because there wasn’t too much to see at this port

In Khasab we book the dhow boat cruise with Khourshem tours which was £21pp

Hope this helps

Very helpful information . Thanks Caravan37 x