Hot Tubs

myfuzzy

My BIL is a pool expert and he won't go near a public hot tub.

Pool expert is not a microbiologist.

What makes him a pool "expert." College degree? Post-graduate education?

If you think about it, everything that is used by the public is going to be gross and disgusting. Stair banisters, bathroom door handles, the buffet. Its best to just not think about it, you can enjoy life more that way :)

This ^^^

Skin is an excellent barrier against many things.

Immune systems take care of most other things that might get in.

You are challenged by micro organisms all day, every day.

That augument will not fly around here. CC'er's generally LIKE ckickens and cows. ;)

But it seems they do not like people. :D

You would not like chickens if you ever visited a chicken farm. :D

Immune systems take care of most other things that might get in. You are challenged by micro organisms all day, every day.
Yes, very true. However, consider the way that happens: You get exposed to something. You get sick from the exposure. You develop immunity. Next time, you don't get sick. Unless you spend a lot of time in hot tubs with a lot of different strangers from all over the place, there is a higher chance of encountering something for which you have not yet developed immunity. While the system of developing immunity works, I'm not sure I want to spend time on a cruise going through the steps.

You would not like chickens if you ever visited a chicken farm. :D
And most would never eat another steak if they visited a CAFO.

This message may have been drafted using voice recognition. Please forgive any typos.

But you EAT chicken soup and beef soup, and other animal soups.

You are SOAKING in a hot tub, not drinking it.

Someone posted that a guy commented to his wife that soaking in the hot tub removed all his scabs. Sorry, I still avoid them.

Same here. I imagine that the line probably has enough chemicals in a hot tub to kill whatever might be in it, but it is hard to erase the notion that it is just a people soup --- especially if I have just seen a group of guys drinking beers for a half hour or so in one.

I tend to feel the same way about the ship's pools. If I see several people (not just guys) bobbing around in the pool, drinking beer, and staying in for long periods of time, I will pass on getting in the pool.

My point is, a pool "expert" is not a degreed microbiologist.

And his handy dandy test kit tells him chlorine level and pH, and sometimes a few other things, but does not tell him about microbiological load and what might or might not be growing in it.

And his handy dandy test kit tells him chlorine level and pH, and sometimes a few other things, but does not tell him about microbiological load and what might or might not be growing in it.

And yet it does...he also delivers his opinion in the same smug tone...Bill, is that you?

There is no accurate instant test for microbial contamination of interest in hot tubs.

There are quick tests for boiler and chiller water.

You were the one that replied that your "pool expert" relative would not get in a hot tub, after I stated my degreed microbiologist ex would.

In my state, a “pool expert” can close down any non-private pool in a heart beat based on results from their handy dandy little test kit. And impose a handsome fine on the HOA for the privilege.

So I have respect, well actually, maybe it’s more like fear, of pool experts and their handy dandy little test kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Being familiar with the potable water tests used on ships, requiring 18-24 hours for a result, I thought I'd look into this, and in fact there are test strips that will detect the presence of several strains of bacteria and microbes in 15-20 minutes.

In my state, a “pool expert” can close down any non-private pool in a heart beat based on results from their handy dandy little test kit. And impose a handsome fine on the HOA for the privilege.

So I have respect, well actually, maybe it’s more like fear, of pool experts and their handy dandy little test kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yep. and the public pools in my community which he has on several occasions...