What do you use duct tape for?

Okay, I'll bite: I'm seeing lots of experienced cruisers say they travel with...duct tape! What for? What uses do you find for it? I wonder how to justify the extra 3" it'll take up in my luggage!

OK, first thing you take a small roll, then step on the roll to "flatten it some. Will fit nicely in a shoe.

Could make a list of what's possible, but will just list what we DID use it for:

Emergency repair of luggage handle at airport.

Pant hem let go, inch of tape fixed

Reverse wrapped on hand makes great lint "roller"

Thanks for the business. I work in a duct tape factory and we also make 510 Gaffer. Got some new colors last year. Keep buying.

Good to know.

But sorry, I do not like your duct tape. I prefer other brands.

I am not sure which brand my last roll of gaffers tape was. I have had it for some 10 years.

That is the other thing, gaffers tape does not go bad like duct tape tends to do.

It is so tempting to make a funny comment or two about using it to keep people quiet...but with so many folks having no sense of humor on here I best not. Someone would get their knickers in a twist. :rolleyes:;)

Not without using up a lot of duct tape they won't! :D

Duct tape was the only suggested item I didn't take on my first cruise, and turned out to be the one I needed most.

I use a CPAP machine to sleep, and had to run the extension cord across the cabin from the outlet to my bed. Turned out this is a trip hazard in the middle of the night! And I had to put everything up every morning so the steward wouldn't trip either. Next cruise, I covered the cord completely with duct tape and was able to leave it the entire time. No mess on the carpets, either. I did end up with bits of tape wrapped around the CPAP cord, but it still works just find keeping me alive and all.

(On another note, TruckerDave, you are a naughty, naughty fellow. Report to me next cruise. I have duct tape.)

This is MUCH better for keeping cords in place. Less mess. reusable, and works great on carpet:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TWI23E/ref=asc_df_B007TWI23E5495269/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B007TWI23E&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167146065113&hvpos=1o4&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2958121084649218006&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007816&hvtargid=pla-307290761661

This one, there are a number of brands out there.

Good to know.

But sorry, I do not like your duct tape. I prefer other brands.

I am not sure which brand my last roll of gaffers tape was. I have had it for some 10 years.

We make both tapes as well as electrical tape , pipeline tape and window flashing, Gorilla tapes. Gaffer is very high dollar tape that now comes in navy blue, purple , burgundy . We have black, orange, yellow , brown, white, green, neon colors too in pink , green & yellow .

You could use it to stick a couple of ducks together :D

There is nothing that duct tape cannot fix -- a broken piece of luggage, torn fabrics, ripped hems, broken shoes -- the list is endless.

Did they put it on their bill? :D

We use it at home. We never travel with it.

In 45 years of travel, independent, tours, international, etc. we have never regretted not having it in our luggage. The few times when we have needed tape of some sort we have been able to source it, or a similar product to handle the job. Last time it was a strip of baggage tape for a carry on handle from an accommodating airline check in clerk in Bangkok.

But, we do not pack to prepare for a lot of 'whatifs'. We only go with carry on so there is not much room for it/them.