Galveston to HOU debarkation day - what to do with several hours?

mjonis

We're using Southwest points, so our flights in and out for our Jan 27th-Feb 3rd cruise out of Galveston means we will be flying in and out of HOU/Hobby.

We're arriving the day before (Jan 26th) since weather out of Albany, NY can be tricky that time of year.

However, due to schedules, we have to return home when the cruise ends on 2/3/19.

And, due to lack of enough points (not to mention the routing), the "early' flights are too close (for my comfort), although the 10:50 a.m. flight would've worked had it not been 3x the points and no food for 9 hours (with the short connections, SW doesn't let you de-plane).

So, we're on the 2:45 p.m. from HOU to BWI and then onto ALB.

Since there's no lounges in HOU (we're not military), what do we do for say, 6 hours? (assuming we stay on the ship as long as possible-haha).

Do we lug the luggage around Galveston while "doing things" there?

Or just go to the airport and then kill 3+ hours (I figure an hour to get from the port to the airport, and depending on how busy, 30-60 minutes to get through security/etc.) and Southwest boards like 30 minutes prior, so figure about 11:00 a.m. - 2:15 p.m. of "free" time? (assuming we leave the cruise port around 9:30 a.m.)

Never been to Galveston or HOU. Airport doesn't look like there's any comfortable place to sit/relax (just food court chairs). I may need to bring my butt cushion seat with me. LOL.

Cruise Stop will store luggage

25th and Strand .

Plenty to do around Port and Old Town .

Museums :

Train Museum

Petroleum drill Rig and Historical Industry

Sub And Destroyer

Pirate

Elissa Tall Ship Schooner

Short Films :

Pirate Lafitte

Great 1900 Storm

Galveston Immigration City

Strand walking

Post office Street walking

LaKings Confectioners

Bryan Museum (large and Great )

Bishops Palace

Moody Mansion

Carriage Rides

Carved Tree Tour

Pier 21

Restaurants and Bars

Hobby was recently completely redone inside and it's not as bad as you're thinking. It's now servicing international flights. But I wouldn't want to spend that much time in any airport so I get what you're saying.

There is a ton to do in Galveston very close to the port. Walking up and down the Strand with shops and restaurants is fun and you can control how much time you spend there.

One of the great things about Galveston if you're a nerd like me and enjoying learning is the Ocean Star Oil Rig Museum, you actually get to see it as the cruise ships leave port. We visited it before we cruised back in May and as you journey out into the Gulf of Mexico it's cool to see the different kind of oil rigs and see the real life examples of what you just learned about.

One of the great things about Galveston if you're a nerd like me and enjoying learning is the Ocean Star Oil Rig Museum, you actually get to see it as the cruise ships leave port. We visited it before we cruised back in May and as you journey out into the Gulf of Mexico it's cool to see the different kind of oil rigs and see the real life examples of what you just learned about.

Hope you all those rigs lighted up in the middle of the night . It is called Rig Alley. Its a wonderful sight going out or coming into Galveston.