Water???

cruisin'sz

It's greedy -- whether they agree to let people bring water onboard or not, they certainly do not have to charge $53 for a 24-case of water. Other cruise lines don't gouge that way (at least Disney and Carnival and Princess don't)

This is the exact same price you would pay to buy the exact same water at a 7-11. And I watch people at 7-11 every morning pay that price without a blink.

Have you got proof that the water is "sodium laced"? There are other agents involved in water retention than sodium, mainly the chlorine, and also the lack of magnesium and potassium from water produced in evaporators, which is distilled water.

Water produced in evaporators (majority of water produced onboard) has less than 10ppm of sodium (the unit rejects water with a higher level and diverts it to sea), water produced by reverse osmosis has less than 20ppm of sodium (again the unit will divert to sea at this level), while municipal water from ports where water may be bunkered have water quality reports that say: Miami (30-50ppm) and NYC (40-70ppm), and even Honolulu water has reported 44ppm sodium.

So water produced on the ship has less sodium than Miami or NYC. Thank you Mr. Cheng for always being the voice of reason. I have learned a lot from your posts.

Have you got proof that the water is "sodium laced"? There are other agents involved in water retention than sodium, mainly the chlorine, and also the lack of magnesium and potassium from water produced in evaporators, which is distilled water.

Water produced in evaporators (majority of water produced onboard) has less than 10ppm of sodium (the unit rejects water with a higher level and diverts it to sea), water produced by reverse osmosis has less than 20ppm of sodium (again the unit will divert to sea at this level), while municipal water from ports where water may be bunkered have water quality reports that say: Miami (30-50ppm) and NYC (40-70ppm), and even Honolulu water has reported 44ppm sodium.

You want to jump in on this thread: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=56808779

;)

I don't have to fly... so not concerned about luggage weight limit, I'm taking my Brita filter jug for the room.

That is actually a great idea! Then I will also bring a bunch on empty water bottles and I can keep them in the fridge. Thanks....That's why I read these boards :)

Then I would venture to guess, unless NCL has contract with a recyle company other than China, they will be banned soon. I'd also guess that many US cities will start to ban them just like they are straws. I think a city in Massachussetts has already banned single serve plastic bottles and in San Fracisco they are not sold at city events.

I agree they should be banned. I am a teacher and during Earth Week my school did a whole project about water pollution and water bottles. I was 100% guilty of buying cases of water each month. (I am a water-a-haulic). I promised my students that I would stop buying bottled water. So now I have several old water bottles that I fill up every day, put them in the fridge, and in my cooler every day. I do not buy water bottles anymore. I have seen the damage that they are doing to our planet :(

... forces you to buy a bottled water package!!

That is totally and absolutely incorrect.

I have NEVER been FORCED to buy bottled water on any cruise I have been on. I have NEVER even bought water on any cruise I am on. I take empty bottles on board with me, fill them on board, chill overnight in the, now, empty fridge and take them with me. Then I empty the bottles before re-boarding and start the whole process again.

Exactly what I plan on doing

Having seen this thread, and checked the NCL website (but also searched for squash), I'm concerned about being able to bring squash (concentrated fruit syrup which you mix with water) on board. NCL say "guests are prohibited from bringing any beverages -- including liquor, beer and non-alcoholic drinks such as water, soda and juices -- on board either as carry-on or checked luggage"

Not sure if squash meets that definition. Know it sounds stupid but I really don't like plain water...

Can anyone answer if it will be or not?

I am going to bring propel packets, to put in the empty water bottles that I bring on board. No reason why you can't bring something like that. I like plain water, but sometimes I like some flavor too

You mean the FDA has similar safety requirements with water as they do with all the other food we put in to our bodies... Thank goodness for all that extra EPA testing in Flint, which didn't even occur until people started getting sick and complaining.

Of course, your original comment was "there are no standards on bottled water for testing or reporting" - which is completely false. Bottled water is very much regulated and tested.

The reality is that bottled water from a reliable source goes through intense filtration and is bottled at the source. It doesn't travel through miles of pipes and risk contamination. Nothing is perfect, but bottled water is absolutely more likely to be safer. Of course, articles point out it's no safer because they use a good, quality tap source. But when traveling, on a ship, etc... I don't think it's unreasonable for people to feel more comfortable with bottled water.

A good example would be at ports of call. You get off and have to buy water or buy water on the ship to take with you. It was the point of my original comment, that NCL is all about the dollars with their bottled water policy. It has nothing to do with environment reasons or any of that nonsense. Just like Royal didn't start requiring all in a room to have the same beverage package because of sharing. Are people that gullible?

Why not just bring a bag of empty water bottles and fill them up on the ship and store in fridge? This way you can take them off of the ship with you. Free and you know you are drinking safe water. That's what I plan on doing

I think the moderators removed the troll. Thank you.

I drink the ships water and do just fine. Now flying for long periods of time makes me swell up as well as rich salty food, but not ships water. I bring my own metal water bottle and take it on excursions. I do not buy water on the ship because I do not need to, not because of the price. The water on the ship is perfectly fine for our consumption. It is actually delicious. Get a pitcher of ice and use it after it melts for your water bottle. No one can convince me that the water on the ship is laced with salt.

I agree, that know it all is annoying!

Anyway some people seem to have a problem with the ship provided and the price gouging for water!

Just because others say it doesn’t affect them doesn’t mean it doesn’t affect others!