Where do old cruise ships go to die?

babs135

I was told they go to the country of India. This is where all ships go, freighters, cruise ships etc. go. They are run up onto the beach, then they are cut apart for scrap. Just think, your water bottle or beer can may have been a cruise ship!

Most of the breaking yards are located in India & Pakistan.

As previously mentioned Alang in India has miles of beach when the ships are literally run right up onto the beach.

In Pakistan the Gadani yard is huge - they dismantled the P&O liner SS Canberra

The SS Uganda went to Taiwan, but a storm arose while at anchor and she ran aground. Never been refloated and currently rotting away.

China also scraps a few ship - SS Oriana met her fate at a yard in the Yangtze River

There are breaking yards in several areas. They just removed most of the ships from the Naval Reserve Fleet in SF Bay. Some were broken up locally, some were towed to Texas.

Steel has very high capability for easy recycling, and is recycled extensively. You just have to remove any bad stuff, like lead paint and asbestos.

The operation in Alang, India gets all the attention, but not ALL the ships.

There is a reason that India and Pakistan and China get the lion's share of shipbreaking. They have little or no environmental or health and safety laws. The Ready Reserve Fleet was broken up in the US because it is mandatory for US government owned ships to be scrapped in the US.

Yes, non Flag of Convenience flagged ships cannot be broken at yards that do not meet current environmental standards, hence the reason most developed countries also have limited ship breaking capacity.

Yes, non Flag of Convenience flagged ships cannot be broken at yards that do not meet current environmental standards, hence the reason most developed countries also have limited ship breaking capacity.

And yet, major maritime companies like the A.P. Moeller Group (Maersk lines), the largest shipping company in the world, in terms of number of ships, and who have many ships under their native Danish flag (and several other countries, not flag of convenience, such as UK and Brazil (for cabotage reasons), will simply re-flag a ship to a flag of convenience when it is sold for scrap in Alang.

The lack of shipbreaking facilities in the EU has led to a backlog of ships sitting around waiting to be scrapped, and is only recently been addressed in a limited fashion.

And yet, major maritime companies like the A.P. Moeller Group (Maersk lines), the largest shipping company in the world, in terms of number of ships, and who have many ships under their native Danish flag (and several other countries, not flag of convenience, such as UK and Brazil (for cabotage reasons), will simply re-flag a ship to a flag of convenience when it is sold for scrap in Alang.

The lack of shipbreaking facilities in the EU has led to a backlog of ships sitting around waiting to be scrapped, and is only recently been addressed in a limited fashion.

Sadly, that's how the ship owners circumvent the IMO requirements, as due to the asbestos, etc it costs more to scrap than the hull is worth.

Yes, the original Pacific Princess went to Turkey, I recall seeing a photo of her with an extensive list. Of the other original Princess ships, IP went to Alang and I believe SP sank just off the Thailand coast. A sad ending for Sun Princess, which was my favourite of the 3 ships.

As previously mentioned Alang in India has miles of beach when the ships are literally run right up onto the beach.

I've asked Mrs. Dawg to just run me up on a nice beach when its my time to be broken up.:D