“Chair hogging” in Observation Lounge.

Maya1234

I have read in some threads that this is occurring but not quite sure how that would happen. Obviously outside one can legitimately leave things like a towel on a chair while one uses the pool. Thus it’s hard to tell who is “hogging” and who is simply making use of the chair for its intended use.

But the whole point of the observation lounge is to observe. Seems like it would be harder to leave things on the chair and there wouldn’t be much of a legitimate reason to do so.

It will be interstesting to see if this really is an issue and if NCL will step in quickly to develop a culture against it.

6:45 am at Sea, Norwegian Bliss

Let’s try fix some of the misconceptions in this thread.

Observation Lounge is a very large space taking up nearly 1/4 of Deck 15. It runs from the bow, down along both the Port and Starboard sides of the ship all the way to the forward elevator lobby. Massive. It has hundreds of chairs and loungers.

Can you fit all 4700 passengers this week into the Observation Lounge at the same time??? Never.

Our room is a few doors down from the OL, so it is easy for us to pop in all times day and night. We have NEVER been unable to find a seat if we wanted one.

There are 22 seats directly at the forward facing windows. Lots and lots of facing forward seats in additional rows all the way back to the buffet, but not with your nose smashed to the glass. These 22 seats are highly coveted and people camp out to get one.

Window seats (allowing smashed noses) run down both Port and Starboard sides of the ship. Same size as the Garden Cafe directly above.

15605de175b58fe1243a714240d17acd.png

8a801b64c5deca4b2939ecfed0ee9e4f.heic

a2099dcb1165761f3cdf3ffff6c26cc2.heic

3b0f36f07c6b2f9bfc1d48de907d2b6a.heic

4f9cc031f060bfe277e8f32b9b2d43ec.heic

d9720798bae27f91dfb27161a80158f3.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by BirdTravels

So,,, considering the foot print of the OL and the identical footprint of the Garden Cafe directly above (which has identical forward and side view), there is a lot of warm, covered Alaskan Viewing.

ec9adc9fc0782273689c77ffe9c5666c.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My answer to these chair hogs would be to simply set their items on the floor and use the chair...

Never touch another person's belongings. By 'these chair hogs' you mean someone who got to a chair before you did of course. You might use different words to describe it but that is what it boils down to. If you think someone is violating some sort of rule about chair use, the way to get it resolved is to inform a crew member and have them address it.

• Like 1

I don't get the whole camping out near a window on a cruise, let alone Alaska. I saw it last year on the Pearl with people camped out at the tables near the window in garden cafe, the card room, and a few other inside spots around the ship. They would be there all day, so yeah I can imagine that some would see the same on the Bliss in the observation lounge. Not a complaint from me just a observation, because honestly I'd much rather be outside even if it's chilly and raining then sitting inside watching the world go by through a window.

I don't get the whole camping out near a window on a cruise, let alone Alaska. I saw it last year on the Pearl with people camped out at the tables near the window in garden cafe, the card room, and a few other inside spots around the ship. They would be there all day, so yeah I can imagine that some would see the same on the Bliss in the observation lounge. Not a complaint from me just a observation, because honestly I'd much rather be outside even if it's chilly and raining then sitting inside watching the world go by through a window.

Fortunately, you don't have to get it. Just be thankful other cruisers like to camp out near a window inside somewhere and are not crowding the outside observation areas you enjoy.

Hogging is not “ camping out” to me. It’s trying to claim possession while not there. Ala towels on deck chairs. My question was really about what “ things” would be used to “hog”.

In any event anything left on an observation lounge chair would have to be considered in my mind to be abandoned if the owner does not take it with them when they leave the chair for more than 5 minutes. I would turn them in to a crew member so they can be brought to lost and found.

There is no excuse for leaving things on a chair for longer. Unlike at a pool where you can be using the chair to hold things while you get in the pool.

Hogging is not “ camping out” to me. It’s trying to claim possession while not there. Ala towels on deck chairs. My question was really about what “ things” would be used to “hog”.

In any event anything left on an observation lounge chair would have to be considered in my mind to be abandoned if the owner does not take it with them when they leave the chair for more than 5 minutes. I would turn them in to a crew member so they can be brought to lost and found.

There is no excuse for leaving things on a chair for longer. Unlike at a pool where you can be using the chair to hold things while you get in the pool.

Therein lies the rub. What is in YOUR mind is not what matter. I do not need a 'excuse' to go to the bar, the bathroom, or to go up to my cabin to get my meds if I forgot them. Seeing as I am limited mobility and use a walker, it can easily take me more than your silly personal time limit to accomplish any task I may need to get done. NEVER move another person's belongings ever.

• Like 1

You HAVE TO be there to "claim possession". Think about it!

Yes I am on the Bliss now and there ARE some chair hogs in my opinion. Certain people laying across entire sofas with their legs up. People sitting in one chair and holding an entire section while the rest of their family has gone shopping/game show/go karting/laser tag/spa/etc.

Each time I’ve been there have been many people just lying down on a lounger or sofa and sleeping for hours at a time. In my opinion if you are going there to sleep why not go back to your cabin? The observation deck is for OBSERVING. It’s not called the nappping deck!

For a single traveler finding one empty seat is probably never an issue but for parties of two or more it will be tough to find seating together during the busier times.

Despite all of this I still think that the observation lounge is a fantastic feature on the Bliss and I’m really glad that NCL chose to design the ship with this space in mind. I just wish that some of the fellow passengers were more courteous.

Yes I am on the Bliss now and there ARE some chair hogs in my opinion. Certain people laying across entire sofas with their legs up. People sitting in one chair and holding an entire section while the rest of their family has gone shopping/game show/go karting/laser tag/spa/etc.

When you say "holding", how are they holding sections?

Therein lies the rub. What is in YOUR mind is not what matter. I do not need a 'excuse' to go to the bar, the bathroom, or to go up to my cabin to get my meds if I forgot them. Seeing as I am limited mobility and use a walker, it can easily take me more than your silly personal time limit to accomplish any task I may need to get done. NEVER move another person's belongings ever.
To me... If I get up to get something from my cabin then my space should be open. Even as simple as going to the bathroom I have left the space and it is open to who needs it. There is only one exception I would expect is if I was sitting with my wife/family and I left(they stay) for maybe 10-15 mins tops. And that is just so we can stay seated together

That's just me.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

To me... If I get up to get something from my cabin then my space should be open. Even as simple as going to the bathroom I have left the space and it is open to who needs it. There is only one exception I would expect is if I was sitting with my wife/family and I left(they stay) for maybe 10-15 mins tops. And that is just so we can stay seated together

That's just me.

But everyone else is more important than you!:')

To me it’s like a chair in a hotel lobby. You get up and you take everything with you. If I saw a book on a comfy hotel chair I might wait a few minutes but then take it to the staff and say “ someone left this here” and take their chair. If they came back it would be “I assumed you forgot it, it’s beeen put in lost and found”.

To me it’s like a chair in a hotel lobby. You get up and you take everything with you. If I saw a book on a comfy hotel chair I might wait a few minutes but then take it to the staff and say “ someone left this here” and take their chair. If they came back it would be “I assumed you forgot it, it’s beeen put in lost and found”.

But make sure you have someone hold the chair while you go to lost and found....its a long way away:rolleyes:

Seriously, NCL should police(not you or anyone else) but wont because they are afraid of retaliation and putting other hard working people's tips at risk from the ire of the self-centered people that would be pissed they have to go find their stuff once removed from the unoccupied chair.

I wonder what percentage of the chair hogs are the same ones that seem to think going into a convenience store and using the "parking spot" in front of the busy gas pumps is also OK:mad:

When you say "holding", how are they holding sections?

When you walk up to a section of seats (a sofa and multiple side chairs and they say “no, these are taken.” There may be hats or jackets on the seats.

And you see that nobody ever comes by to sit there.

Reminds me of what we see on the Water Front chairs during the warm weather cruises. Always some taking a nap on the couch seating and many on the chairs have another chair pulled up to put their feet on.

When the Bliss moves to the Caribbean, will the Observation Lounge take some of those outdoor 'nappers' or will be it be less utilized when you can get that ocean breeze on the Water Front:confused: