New England/Canada cruise

etnocaha

We have never been on a New England/Canada cruise. Have been to Caribbean and Alaska and Hawaii. We enjoy nature and beautiful scenery. Not much for architecture, museums, etc. Looking at a cruise departing New Jersey and ending in Quebec City at the end of September. Would we enjoy this cruise?

We obviously do not know you. All that I can say is that we did one of the Quebec to Boston cruises once. It wasn't bad but it certainly was not one of the best cruises that we ever took. We stopped in some small towns in Canada that I thought were sort of boring. Just my opinion but you did ask.

One other thing. If you are going for fall foliage, Sept. might be a bit early. Do some research on this before you pick a date.

DON

I also don't know you so can't really say whether or not you would enjoy it. My 2 sisters and I went last fall and we found it to be anything but boring. We loved the little towns and friendly people. Granted, in a couple of the towns in Canada there isn't much to do, but that has never stopped us before from exploring a place and finding something interesting about it. We all enjoyed it quite a bit.

Beautiful scenery, lots of history, friendly people. Agreed if you want fall foliage you should probably go later. But, from what I hear it's kind of a crap shoot. We were there late September and debarked on October 4. No fall colors. Next time (and I would love to go again) we will go later in October.

Favorite moments: sailing out of New York past an all lit up Statue of Liberty. Standing on a balcony at the Breakers in Newport RI, overlooking an ocean brilliantly and beautiful shining from the sun. Walking the Freedom Trail in Boston. Lunch at a place in Sydney, Nova Scotia at a place called The Governor's Pub. The food was OK, but there was a fiddle player playing lively Scottish reels. So much fun. An island tour of Prince Edward Island. Fantastic weather, awesome scenery. Watching the lights of Quebec City come on as it got dark. Especially beautiful was the Fairmont Le Chateau Fontenac. This hotel looks like a castle. The whole town looks like a fairy tale so why shouldn't it have a castle?

We have never been on a New England/Canada cruise. Have been to Caribbean and Alaska and Hawaii. We enjoy nature and beautiful scenery. Not much for architecture, museums, etc. Looking at a cruise departing New Jersey and ending in Quebec City at the end of September. Would we enjoy this cruise?

We did an October cruise from NJ and back to NJ .The cruise included 2 nights in Quebec City ,it was great.

We are on the Celebrity Summit 14 night Oct 7/2018, RT from Cape Liberty, N.J. Our roll call is very active I'm sure this one will be one of our favorites cruises, several members of the RC have done this 2 or 3 times.

I’ve done the 10 day NE cruise with HAL and Princess. One of the neatest shore excursions offered was on my trip last fall. We had a stop at Prince Edward Island, and I went to the falconry service. Really one of the best excursions I’ve ever had.

https://www.retireearlyandtravel.com/prince-edward-island-attraction/

New England/Canada is in our top 3 cruise destinations.

We are of the museum, arts, music and other cultural offerings bent, but we also like to walk and hike (particularly steep inclines) and enjoy scenery and those off-the-beaten-path places to eat. NE/Canada offers the best of everything!

you don't tell us your ports

I have sailed Canada NE itineraries many t imes and always enjoy being in Halifax, Portland, , Bar Harbor, Charlottetown PEI, Quebec City and Montreal.

Give yourself a couple of days staying in the old city of Quebec at the end of your cruise- a really lovely taste of France.

Hi

Sorry, but it's a taste of Canada. They speak French, but quite different than France. They speak English in N.Y. city but not a taste of Britain. :)

For the OP...if you are interested in scenery, most of your stops would allow you rent a car and travel out of the cities (small towns) and see the countryside/coastline.

have a great cruise

Hi

Sorry, but it's a taste of Canada. They speak French, but quite different than France. They speak English in N.Y. city but not a taste of Britain. :)

For the OP...if you are interested in scenery, most of your stops would allow you rent a car and travel out of the cities (small towns) and see the countryside/coastline.

have a great cruise

Of course it is a “taste of Canada”. - but being French Canada - especially in the old walled city the French flavor is strong in restaurants and coffee shops.

It is a whole lot more French than New York is English. Have you spent any time there?

Of course it is a “taste of Canada”. - but being French Canada - especially in the old walled city the French flavor is strong in restaurants and coffee shops.

It is a whole lot more French than New York is English. Have you spent any time there?

Hi

Actually, I grew up just down the road a bit, Montreal (another beautiful city, and they speak French there too). Still not a taste of France.

So the French flavor is only the language and nothing to do with France. So they do speak French in Canada, we are officially bilingual country. Just as in other parts of Canada where English is spoken, it would have no more relation to Britain than N.Y. city. That's all I was getting at.

hope this helps

Hi

:)

have a great cruise

One thing to consider, if hiring a car in Quebec, is the signposts are only in French. Coming from the West Coast, I found it challenging driving through Quebec, while heading coast to coast across Canada.

One thing to consider, if hiring a car in Quebec, is the signposts are only in French. Coming from the West Coast, I found it challenging driving through Quebec, while heading coast to coast across Canada.

The signs are in French buy with a little research they are easy to understand.

The sign below means STOP!

arret.jpg.83b139de785e2ec7b7436ce1c1967b8c.jpg

I have lived in Montreal and I have lived in France. While very much a Canadian city, Quebec City does have a somewhat European feel.

What has living in Montreal to due with Quebec City - other than geographic proximity.? That “somewhat European feel” isn’t likely to be Danish or Italian - but, as noted by many travel sites, somewhat French. Language, some architecture, a fair amount of cuisine all contribute.

Of course, there is the slight possibility that there is a reluctance on the part of some Canadian Anglophones to recognize it.