Galveston terminal question and more

moongal

We are leaving this week from Galveston and I pulled a muscle or did something wretched to my hip and for the life of me I cannot remember if there are elevators there at the terminal or not. All I can remember is toting my bags up on an escalator. If there are elevators are they available for anyone or just wheelchair or handicapped?

My other question is a port related. I know you cannot bring fruit off the boat into a port (Caribbean) but can you bring prepackaged nuts? I was wanting to pack some healthy protein for our Progresso stop in case the provided lunch was bad. Hubby won’t eat protein bars so I thought nuts would be good but didn’t want to get stopped by the sniffing dogs if nuts were included with fruit. They are in a sealed plastic pouch.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are elevators at the Galveston port. Just tell them you can't take stairs/escalator and you are fine.

As far as the nuts, you should be fine. I don't think they are looking for those. Worst case is that they take them away from you.

Yes there are elevators next to the escalators. Yes you should be fine with prepackaged snacks, we take them all the time in both our carryon bags and sometimes we have so many we pack them in a suitcase and check them (when it’s a big group of us, especially with teens ). Enjoy , we cruise out of Galveston mostly.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are leaving this week from Galveston and I pulled a muscle or did something wretched to my hip and for the life of me I cannot remember if there are elevators there at the terminal or not. All I can remember is toting my bags up on an escalator. If there are elevators are they available for anyone or just wheelchair or handicapped?

My other question is a port related. I know you cannot bring fruit off the boat into a port (Caribbean) but can you bring prepackaged nuts? I was wanting to pack some healthy protein for our Progresso stop in case the provided lunch was bad. Hubby won’t eat protein bars so I thought nuts would be good but didn’t want to get stopped by the sniffing dogs if nuts were included with fruit. They are in a sealed plastic pouch.

Thanks!

I can't speak to Carnival embarkation in Galveston. However, I have done Royal Caribbean embarkation in Galveston, and I am willing to bet that the buildings are very similar inside. Short version: Yes, there are elevators. Your challenge won't be at embarkation. Your challenge would be disembarking. Lines at the elevators got fairly long, and you wouldn't be able to carry off your own luggage. If my guess is correct about the two buildings being the same, you can absolutely do it. It will just take longer.

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten what a terrible time we had disembarking last year. It was pure chaos. We couldn’t get an elevator to go down (we were on deck 6) so we toted all of our luggage down the stairs. We were FTTF and self assist and were told to go to some holding area, I can’t remember where it was but by the time we actually got there, there wasn’t one place to sit. When they started to let people go it was a massive line and it seemed people from other areas kept getting in the line so we never moved it seemed. It was like every single person on the ship must have been priority self assist getting off the ship.

I guess this time maybe we will get up at 5 am and hoof it down to our assigned holding area before everyone else wakes up!

Thanks everyone. I had forgotten what a terrible time we had disembarking last year. It was pure chaos. We couldn’t get an elevator to go down (we were on deck 6) so we toted all of our luggage down the stairs. We were FTTF and self assist and were told to go to some holding area, I can’t remember where it was but by the time we actually got there, there wasn’t one place to sit. When they started to let people go it was a massive line and it seemed people from other areas kept getting in the line so we never moved it seemed. It was like every single person on the ship must have been priority self assist getting off the ship.

I guess this time maybe we will get up at 5 am and hoof it down to our assigned holding area before everyone else wakes up!

Probably the platinum and diamond or faster to the fun and all their "they're with me".....

• 2 weeks later...
I can't speak to Carnival embarkation in Galveston. However, I have done Royal Caribbean embarkation in Galveston, and I am willing to bet that the buildings are very similar inside. Short version: Yes, there are elevators. Your challenge won't be at embarkation. Your challenge would be disembarking. Lines at the elevators got fairly long, and you wouldn't be able to carry off your own luggage. If my guess is correct about the two buildings being the same, you can absolutely do it. It will just take longer.

The two terminals in Galveston are totally different in lay out .

As far a disembarkations at #2 , there can be a Royal Caribbean staging and Crowd control issue before releasing passengers . My last disembarkation though in Galveston in fall was flawless . Royal had it all under control .

Coast guard inspections and Immigration lack of staffing , extra drug enforcement, computer issues can be a circumstantial problem anywhere at cruise ports .

Issues at ports are usually coast guard inspections , cruise line passenger on board issues , and custom immigration issues . Not the port operations .

another question about the terminal and debarkation. Is there a place to wait for shuttle pick up? I'm trying to decide what time to schedule Galveston Express and am wondering if there's a place I can buy a snack for my diabetic husband if he needs it (he has Type 1 and no longer recognizes when he's going low). I guess I can pack my own but I was wondering if there was a coffee stand nearby.

another question about the terminal and debarkation. Is there a place to wait for shuttle pick up? I'm trying to decide what time to schedule Galveston Express and am wondering if there's a place I can buy a snack for my diabetic husband if he needs it (he has Type 1 and no longer recognizes when he's going low). I guess I can pack my own but I was wondering if there was a coffee stand nearby.

There are bench outside of the terminal to sit, but can be crowded and finding a spot may be difficult depending on what time SEE HERE.

As for snacks drinks etc. I don't recall seeing anything like that offered.

There are bench outside of the terminal to sit, but can be crowded and finding a spot may be difficult depending on what time SEE HERE.

As for snacks drinks etc. I don't recall seeing anything like that offered.

ty for the reply, I'll pack my own snack/juice box.