Costa Maya - First time visiting

bnorris10

This will be our first visit

Noon - 8 pm is when we are in port

So from my understanding the all inclusives are out since you would only get a few hours before they closed

We are a family of 4 13, 17, 38, 40 -- we are not into extreme anything

So what is there to do or see in this port

I believe many of the options in Costa Maya adjust their times to match the ships times in port.

If you want a nice beach day, check with Maya Chan. They are usually flexible on their hours to accommodate ship times.

If you are interested in Mayan ruins and culture, look at Native Choice Tours. They have several options. We enjoyed the Chacchoben Extreme Tour (there is nothing extreme or difficult). The tour visits the Chacchoben ruins and a local resort on a lagoon. Lunch is included, along with some time at the resort. They have kayaks or you can just relax in a beach chair.

We have done both of the above and would do them again.

A third option is to just spend time at the pool in the port and explore the shops / restaurants in port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

for that large of group and diversity of ages, you may just want to take the tram or a taxi and head to the malecon in Mahahual. Short ride. Then just walk along the malecon and stop at any club that looks interesting to you.

Caution: You will be "harassed by lounger hawker trying to get you to stop at their place. But IMO, keep walking. Places to look for are Krazy Lobster (they have a big banner stretching over their portion of the beach), Tropicante (look for the name on the building, pay no attention to what the hawkers say). PezQuadro (lots os palapas), Pitaya (may have an AI charge now, but not sure) or YaYa Beach (next tot Dr Dive scuba shop).

Places to avoid are the first stop, Tequila Beach, it's neighbor, Corona Beach, El Faro (next to Tropicante), and I'm hearing that Barefoot Beach is getting a bad reputation on overcharging or poor service.

An interesting and often overlooked spot is the Hotel El Caballo Blanco just before Dr. Dive, great breakfasts-locals and longer term visitors head here in mornings, Tina is a wonderful host.

If you take a taxi (which you catch outside the cruise port complex) then head to Blue Kay. They have their own separate entrance and are before the first tram stop.

Trying to decide between Krazy Lobster, Tropicante, or Jaimes. Looking to chill on the beach with a few cocktails. Ages 66, 40, 40, 9, and 6. Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My vote would be Tropicante. Email Steve and he'll have some loungers waiting on you when you get there. Be prompt as he won't hold them long as it can get busy. Here's the link with his email

http://www.sandalsandskis.com/tropicante.html