Best Antarctica Cruise - Celebrity or Holland America

stromer

IT WAS ZAANDAM FOR US

There are all kinds of definitions of having visited. I used to work in Africa and the debate was over whether one had to deplane and airplane -- purists said you actually had to walk on tarmac -- or whether landing was adequate to use a dateline for a particular country.

We were privileged to take the Zaandam's Antarctica drive-by last Christmas and New Year's. We had weighed all the pros and cons between HAL and Celebrity and made our decision for the reasons many have enumerated. It was a spectacular trip. We were blessed with four sunny days in Antarctic waters, we were able to make it to Falklands, etc. The smartest decision were made was to leave the ship in Buenos Aires after the final dinner and stay in Ibis Congreso overnight, thus avoiding the morning debarking rush and the lack of cabs. The hotel was cheap so we kept it for a second night, although we had a 9 p.m. flight back to the U.S.

One reason we were so happy with Zaandam was that we were lucky enough to get one of only two unique cabins.7082 and 7083 and aft-facing Ohs, just steps away from a deck with loungers. Perfect for zipping in and out during the 24-hour show in the-sun-never-sets (in summer) Antarctica. Steps leading to the Lido deck get you a big swimming pool and lots of food, of course, so the convenience was unbeatable.

Before our trip I was thinking about a regular Valparaiso-to-Buenos Aires run. Luckily some poster argued that if I went that far I should include Antarctica. Sage advice.

IT WAS ZAANDAM FOR US

There are all kinds of definitions of having visited. I used to work in Africa and the debate was over whether one had to deplane and airplane -- purists said you actually had to walk on tarmac -- or whether landing was adequate to use a dateline for a particular country.

We were privileged to take the Zaandam's Antarctica drive-by last Christmas and New Year's. We had weighed all the pros and cons between HAL and Celebrity and made our decision for the reasons many have enumerated. It was a spectacular trip. We were blessed with four sunny days in Antarctic waters, we were able to make it to Falklands, etc. The smartest decision were made was to leave the ship in Buenos Aires after the final dinner and stay in Ibis Congreso overnight, thus avoiding the morning debarking rush and the lack of cabs. The hotel was cheap so we kept it for a second night, although we had a 9 p.m. flight back to the U.S.

One reason we were so happy with Zaandam was that we were lucky enough to get one of only two unique cabins.7082 and 7083 and aft-facing Ohs, just steps away from a deck with loungers. Perfect for zipping in and out during the 24-hour show in the-sun-never-sets (in summer) Antarctica. Steps leading to the Lido deck get you a big swimming pool and lots of food, of course, so the convenience was unbeatable.

Before our trip I was thinking about a regular Valparaiso-to-Buenos Aires run. Luckily some poster argued that if I went that far I should include Antarctica. Sage advice.

Do you mean cabins 7087 and 7088? They are larger and at the very back of the ship.