Klfhngr's story: I missed the boat in Nassau!

I'd never read this...thanks for re-posting! Sorry Klfhnger experienced this, but I'm so happy he took the time to post his experience. Even some good advice for seasoned cruisers who think they have it all under control (me!).

I need a drink after reading that. Whew!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

We don't travel out of country too often, but we just got back from a 4 day to Cozumel. We use Discover Card as an everyday "go to" CC, but when out of the country, I learned to use a Visa CC. I had just forgot. We had our Discover CC with us, but from here on out, we will travel with Visa. I got The RCI Visa.

• 2 weeks later...
What happened to klfhngr was largely self-inflicted and thus easily avoidable.
No offense to klfhngr, who is a great storyteller and was a good sport about discussing his problems returning to the ship, but -- yeah -- this was all started by poor communication. If the group had communicated better, the passport problems never would've ensued.

• 1 month later...

What an awesome story.. as a neew'b.. I learned a few things.

1.) be on time (assuming this adventure doesn't intrigue you).

2.) its much quicker/easier to get a passport if you are abroad (this can be good and/or bad, depending on circumstance).

3.) everything aside, he had a relatively safe and enjoyable time EVEN though he missed his connection.

4.) it might be something to add to the list of adventures in life.. (its terribly hard to find new things that just seem to happen in this day and age).

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
32 minutes ago, klfhngr said:

I've been on 3 more cruises since my ordeal, lol.. And haven't missed the ship again! I have 2 more booked and probably won't miss it again! 😉

I'll bet that's the truth! :classic_biggrin: That's a lesson that you probably never, ever forget!  My wife and her mother saw a couple come leisurely strolling (literally!) back to their ship in Ensenada one time. When they reached the pier, the gate was locked and not a soul was anywhere on the pier. The longshoremen had already pulled the gangway away from the ship and the hawsers off the cleats on the pier and gone and the ship was floating away from the pier. The couple started yelling to no avail.  There was another Princess ship at the next pier and they ran over there where the same situation existed.  Both ships sailed away and the people were left standing on the ground watching them sail away. Don't know what happened after that as the ship's agent had already left also.  It's one thing to miss a departure at a US port and another thing to miss one at a foreign port!

It's good to hear that your experience didn't cause you to swear off cruising and that you still enjoy doing it!

Tom

• Like 1

On 2/21/2019 at 10:56 AM, Pierlesscruisers said:

I'll bet that's the truth! :classic_biggrin: That's a lesson that you probably never, ever forget!  My wife and her mother saw a couple come leisurely strolling (literally!) back to their ship in Ensenada one time. When they reached the pier, the gate was locked and not a soul was anywhere on the pier. The longshoremen had already pulled the gangway away from the ship and the hawsers off the cleats on the pier and gone and the ship was floating away from the pier. The couple started yelling to no avail.  There was another Princess ship at the next pier and they ran over there where the same situation existed.  Both ships sailed away and the people were left standing on the ground watching them sail away. Don't know what happened after that as the ship's agent had already left also.  It's one thing to miss a departure at a US port and another thing to miss one at a foreign port!

It's good to hear that your experience didn't cause you to swear off cruising and that you still enjoy doing it!

Tom

Lol, thanks Tom! My ordeal can be found here on CC... It was quite an adventure!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

....And the cruising continues, lol! I'll be on the Symphony in May! Have to make up for the lost days on the Allure! And yes, my friend is going, however my son is now 21 and won't need a 'sitter', lol! We'll be going over this post to make sure that we are ready!

So glad that this has helped many, I no longer feel that I wasted my time in telling this story. I had so many flamers in my original post, that it was starting to become a chore in writing about this ordeal. Now I know that writing this was not a waste of my time.

Thanks all, and happy and SAFE travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

So glad for your original post -not at all a waste of time!    This is one of the oldest threads that keeps getting bumped up - and yes it has helped many people.  It never ceased to amaze me how many people felt it necessary to throw in their opinion on - what you could have, should have done; or what they would have done differently, better, etc.  Thanks again from so many of us, and glad you are still cruising. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 8:49 AM, LewesBeach said:

So glad for your original post -not at all a waste of time!    This is one of the oldest threads that keeps getting bumped up - and yes it has helped many people.  It never ceased to amaze me how many people felt it necessary to throw in their opinion on - what you could have, should have done; or what they would have done differently, better, etc.  Thanks again from so many of us, and glad you are still cruising. 

Thank you.  Being accused of lying was the worse part... But it was worth it, if people learned from my mistakes!

Edited by klfhngr
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/18/2019 at 11:49 AM, LewesBeach said:

The only thing I would have done differently was to probably start crying once I got to the hotel if not sooner. So glad you were able to get back on the ship with your family.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Covid changed our Panorma plans, but we went on her in Oct! No close calls, maybe in Cabo ;) Heading to Rome in May for a 10 day cruise on X, no kids, lol! I've gone to a few Meet n Greets since I've missed the ship, this story came up twice! On one occasion I didn't say I was klfhngr, lol. On the other, I did. I was treated sorta like a celebrity, lol! Awkward, lol. But many, many people thanked me for my story. Happy sailing everyone, the cruises continue! 

11 hours ago, klfhngr said:

Covid changed our Panorma plans, but we went on her in Oct! No close calls, maybe in Cabo 😉 Heading to Rome in May for a 10 day cruise on X, no kids, lol! I've gone to a few Meet n Greets since I've missed the ship, this story came up twice! On one occasion I didn't say I was klfhngr, lol. On the other, I did. I was treated sorta like a celebrity, lol! Awkward, lol. But many, many people thanked me for my story. Happy sailing everyone, the cruises continue! 

There is a thread on the NCL forum right now posted by a couple who missed their ship in Nassau. Their experience was similar to yours, spent the night, to the embassy the next day, issued passports (they only had birth certs) and then waiting for a flight home (which delayed them more because of spring break). Glad that you are continuing to cruise! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

There is a thread on the NCL forum right now posted by a couple who missed their ship in Nassau. Their experience was similar to yours, spent the night, to the embassy the next day, issued passports (they only had birth certs) and then waiting for a flight home (which delayed them more because of spring break). Glad that you are continuing to cruise! 

Oh cool!! At least they had each other, lol!!! I think that if someone was with me, it would've been totally different! Partied left and right, ha!!!

Thank you! Yea, it was a learning experience, but the cruising continues!

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/17/2019 at 2:24 PM, klfhngr said:

I had so many flamers in my original post, that it was starting to become a chore in writing about this ordeal. Now I know that writing this was not a waste of my time.