Advantage of Dealing with a Travel Agent

SLSD

As a relative newby to the cruise world I read this thread with great interest and want to share an alternative not mentioned yet, at least w/r/t rebate or value back. When booking our upcoming SB cruise (first cruise I've booked in over 10 years) I booked using the cruise program affiliated with our usual airline, which can net anywhere from 7x to 10+x miles per dollar spent. From our booking we'll get enough miles for a 1st class ticket to Europe or Asia, or for two RT US tickets (first class if 'saver' awards). Any of these options are a value that well exceeds 10% of the SB fare. (Adding the 3x Chase UR points for using CSR to the miles bonus, we have the makings of a pretty nice second trip somewhere from our SB cruise.)

As it turns out (I did not know in advance) the airline contracts out to a TA, who then handles anything associated with the cruise travel. With a few exceptions (ironically air travel is one) most things arranged through the TA qualify for the mileage bonus. To be clear - I can't speak to whether airline affiliated TAs can provide some of the other valued added benefits mentioned about cruise/luxury travel TAs in this thread, though I speculate they would be of size and substance to have those contracts and likely have luxury travel desks. This thread has definitely given me questions to ask the next time we book cruise travel.

I'm using this thread to ask a question . . .

I usually book direct with Seabourn. They know I have been with them before and it's likely I will be upgraded when I get on board the ship. This happened on the Quest earlier this year.

However, if I book through an agent, will Seabourn recognise me as a returning passenger or regard me as a first-timer?

However, if I book through an agent, will Seabourn recognise me as a returning passenger or regard me as a first-timer?

You're a Seabourn Club member whether you book direct or through a TA. So if you do use a TA just make sure that you have your SB Club number added to your booking, your spouse's number too.

I got an email from our TA last week to tell us she had modified our reservation to take advantage of a Seabourn promotion, doubling our OBC and getting us $250 each in air credit.

We did not ask her to do this, it was her initiative.

I got an email from our TA last week to tell us she had modified our reservation to take advantage of a Seabourn promotion, doubling our OBC and getting us $250 each in air credit.

We did not ask her to do this, it was her initiative.

My TA acts in a similar fashion. I kissed many frogs before landing this "prince"! :p

Fletcher

Why do think Seabourn will upgrade you because they know who you are?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is a good question.

I have to generalise massively here, but I have found that it tends to be cruisers who are relatively new to SB, or those cruising Antarctica who receive upgrades if they have booked a specific suite.

OB bookings too but that's a different discussion than the one here, I think.

Fletcher, SB are aware who everyone is that has sailed with them previously, whether booking direct or not. If you booked a guarantee or stated you would be happy for an upgrade you might receive one, whether it is via a travel agent or direct. Sorry to say,but your upgrade isn't dependent on anything, it is the luck of the draw,that's all!

I buy 5% discount future cruise passes when I’m on board to take home. I later book whatever cruise directly with Seabourn. It’s easier to pick my cabin.

I then transfer the booking to my TA to get an additional 5% back. ( 10% total).

I pay for the cruise with a Chase Saphire rewards card to get triple airline miles.

I buy 5% discount future cruise passes when I’m on board to take home. I later book whatever cruise directly with Seabourn. It’s easier to pick my cabin.

I then transfer the booking to my TA to get an additional 5% back. ( 10% total).

I pay for the cruise with a Chase Saphire rewards card to get triple airline miles.

Fyi, since you appear to value airline miles, if you transfer the booking to the UAL cruise TA you'd get between 7x and 10x (sometimes more!) miles per dollar spent. Since UAL miles are currently valued at $.014 that benefit on average well exceeds the 5% from your TA. Of course, I'm sure you know miles strategically used (e.g. for international business class reward) are worth significantly more than average. Example: A $15k booking @9x yields 135,000 miles - virtually enough for RT US-Europe business class on any Star Alliance carrier, which is worth much more than a 5 or 10% fare rebate. All that is in addition to getting 3x for paying with Chase Sapphire.

Can any UK Cruise Critic participant point me to a URL for UK citizens that evaluates discounts and airmiles?

I regret my decision to stay with my old Midland Bank Mastercard for decades when I hear friends talking about the Club Class flights they have been given free of charge by using airmiles acquired with their purchases. A rough and ready calculation suggests I may have spent around 1.5 million UKP on my Mastercard and received less than three thousand pounds of rewards.

OK this is my mistake and water under the bridge - but maybe I can get a bit more by changing tactics in my sunset years?

Yes. I use a TA but primarly because he comes up with more innovative ideas than I can. For me Seabourn does not provide enough variety so we vary our holidays and have just come back from a week in Cefalu, Sicily. The cruise we have booked for Christmas is on the Crystal Esprit and is something we would never have thought about despite prolific reading of Cruise Critic, the internet generally and the UK press. How can I remain loyal to my TA and save even more money?

Tony - London

Can any UK Cruise Critic participant point me to a URL for UK citizens that evaluates discounts and airmiles?

I regret my decision to stay with my old Midland Bank Mastercard for decades when I hear friends talking about the Club Class flights they have been given free of charge by using airmiles acquired with their purchases. A rough and ready calculation suggests I may have spent around 1.5 million UKP on my Mastercard and received less than three thousand pounds of rewards.

OK this is my mistake and water under the bridge - but maybe I can get a bit more by changing tactics in my sunset years?

Yes. I use a TA but primarly because he comes up with more innovative ideas than I can. For me Seabourn does not provide enough variety so we vary our holidays and have just come back from a week in Cefalu, Sicily. The cruise we have booked for Christmas is on the Crystal Esprit and is something we would never have thought about despite prolific reading of Cruise Critic, the internet generally and the UK press. How can I remain loyal to my TA and save even more money?

Tony - London

Tony, look up Head For Points for the airmiles info. If you use BA or Virgin you might be better off using one of their affiliates cards.

Sent from my iPad using Forums