First time in Nassau

cruiser20145

Just curious what made it horrible. We haven’t been there but we were debating between Blue Lagoon and Balmoral Island for our last visit.

We chose Balmoral, and while the island was very nice, the facilities modern, and the beach beautiful, we ran into an issue which almost spoiled the day. One of our family members started feeling very sick so we tried to cut our day short and return to the ship. When we asked about an early boat back, they told us that it wasn’t possible and that there would only be one return boat at the end of the day. So we had to wait about 3 more hours before we could leave the island. Not fun when someone is sick. You feel a bit like a hostage. Thankfully our sick family member powered through it, but we learned a valuable lesson about these excursions to private islands. Most likely we won’t ever take one of these excursions again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's impossible to avoid a bad review. Vahand had a bad time for whatever reason, but a vast majority have a great time. We have been to Blue Lagoon twice and will probably go a 3rd time this year, too. It's excellent. Clean, new facilities, large beach area, white sand, clear water, a decent lunch option and bar. What more could you ask for?

What more could you ask for?

Based on what happened to us at Balmoral, the only thing that I would ask for would be to have the ability to return from the island whenever I want in case of unforeseen circumstances, and not to be limited to one boat back at the end of the excursion.

Based on what happened to us at Balmoral, the only thing that I would ask for would be to have the ability to return from the island whenever I want in case of unforeseen circumstances, and not to be limited to one boat back at the end of the excursion.

Blue Lagoon has several boats that leave pretty often. You can stay just an hour or two if you wanted as the first boats back are fairly early.

I’m thinking of taking my son to Atlantis . The ship do s trip which is 5 hours , which is fine if you spend most of it there and is cheaper than pass direct or hotel as there are only 2 of us . Anyone done the trip? Any reviews ? Do you get enough time there ?

Thank you

I’m thinking of taking my son to Atlantis . The ship do s trip which is 5 hours , which is fine if you spend most of it there and is cheaper than pass direct or hotel as there are only 2 of us . Anyone done the trip? Any reviews ? Do you get enough time there ?

Thank you

Go online, do the math, prices are fluid.

ETA, done it twice, what week are you going? How old is your son?

Blue Lagoon has several boats that leave pretty often. You can stay just an hour or two if you wanted as the first boats back are fairly early.

That is a definite plus! Thanks for the info! [emoji1360]

WE were misinformed that this was a great place to snorkel, the beach was dirty, food was not anything better than fast food and our waitress tried to rip us off by keeping our change of 25$; we met others who said the same, one women paid with100$ and bought a 9$ drink and had to track down management to get it. We had the same scenario and wasted about an hour trying to prove it.

I would not go back if you paid me.

If you are on Royal Caribbean and go to Coco Cay you will have a beautiful beach day. We rented a cabana which made up for the awful day at Blue Lagoon. Even without a cabana would have been great. That is a real beach and snorkel area.

We are looking at our first cruise for October (Conquest to Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove). There is only 1 sea day-the last day. I know many people stay on board in Nassau. I am considering it, as we will be in HMC the next day, and we would also get an extra ship day. However, we have heard Nassau is a waste of time. What should I do, stay on or get off?

Frankly, I am puzzled reading your thread. This is your FIRST cruise and you are in ports you have never been before and you want to stay on the ship? You do not say if you like to beach, snorkel, shop, even eat some type of different foods, all of which you cannot do on the ship. AND for anyone that told you Nassau is a waste of time, how many times have they been there and did they never get off the ship?

We were just in Nassau in February, our 3rd time there. We do NOT do beaches, so we look for other things to do. (see my thread about Nassau). You simply do not know it is a 'waste of time' (which it is not) until you get off and experience it for yourself. THEN, if you ever go back, you can say that.

You can do a tour of Nassau for about $30PP, take the ferry to Atlantis for $4PP and just wonder around there for a couple of hours. Do all the people that go there think that is also a waste of time? You can pay and visit the aquarium there, the beach there, among other things.

I will admit Nassau isn't the best island in the Caribbean, but if it was my first time there, I would want to see for myself. .

Don't listen to all the naysayers whom have probably been there many times. it's your first cruise, get off and experience all the different places you paid to go see.

Cheers

Len

Cheers

Len

Each and every day, I trust reviews and opinions less and less. Someone will always say they hate something you enjoy. Who knows, that may be the only opportunity you ever get again to go there. Why wouldn't you take the opportunity to at least give it a try?

And yes, there is plenty of beautiful sights to see there.

We are beach people (not shoppers) so we don’t mind Nassau because we have found beautiful beaches there. Atlantis is having a special in May so we are going there for our first time to enjoy the beach and water park and whatever else we are entitled to with our pass. For those who are not beach people I can see why they would just stay on the ship and feel the way they do about Nassau.

Happy cruising!:)

What special does Atlantis have going on in May? I tried to google it and didn't find anything. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
We are looking at our first cruise for October (Conquest to Nassau, Half Moon Cay, Grand Turk, and Amber Cove). There is only 1 sea day-the last day. I know many people stay on board in Nassau. I am considering it, as we will be in HMC the next day, and we would also get an extra ship day. However, we have heard Nassau is a waste of time. What should I do, stay on or get off?

We made a huge mistake by not spending too much time in Nassau .It was exceptionally hot and we headed back to the ship . We should have gone back ,changed clothes and ventured out again. It is a beautiful place to visit.

• 4 weeks later...

We live in Florida and have been to Nassau so many times that I can close my eyes and see every store in town lol I do not like the beaches there as there are so many other islands that are better for snorkeling. That being said - we get off - we walk to Senior Frogs and have cocktails with lunch and people watch! When we are done we walk back to the ship via the main road of town and stop for some more junk to bring home to the dog sitter and any one that needs a trinket. We will be asked (for the 500th time) if we want our hair braided or want to see their rope bracelets. We give everyone a $1.00 and keep walking. Along the way to Senior Frogs we stop to watch the fishing boats come in and just enjoy not being at work!

The End - our Nassau Day :)

We have been to Nassau multiple times, did the Atlantis which was nice but overpriced. Went to Junkanoo Beach and thought it was.... JUNK. A really nice beach area is Cabbage beach behind the Paradise Island Beach Club. That's where my family usually goes.

There will be LOTS of vendors as you walk out of the terminal and they will harrass you. You need to be firm. I think the straw market is a generic flea market with almost every vendor having the same stuff.

I don't enjoy going to Nassau but a lot of that is probably attributable to seeing a 30 yo mother and her 5 yo daughter floating dead in the harbor next to the ship. They were Nassau residents, not cruise passengers.

We have been to Nassau multiple times, did the Atlantis which was nice but overpriced. Went to Junkanoo Beach and thought it was.... JUNK. A really nice beach area is Cabbage beach behind the Paradise Island Beach Club. That's where my family usually goes.

There will be LOTS of vendors as you walk out of the terminal and they will harrass you. You need to be firm. I think the straw market is a generic flea market with almost every vendor having the same stuff.

I don't enjoy going to Nassau but a lot of that is probably attributable to seeing a 30 yo mother and her 5 yo daughter floating dead in the harbor next to the ship. They were Nassau residents, not cruise passengers.

Consider Love Beach as well. Has the Nirvana beach bar, too.

Has anyone visited Clifton Heritage Park? This will be our first visit to Nassau as well and I thought it looked interesting and less touristy than some of the other options. It's out past Love Beach / Nirvana.

:(<|3How aweful:eek::(<|3