Motion sickness?

I was afraid that I would get sick as well so I made sure to have the patches and sea bands for my family. We ended up only using the sea bands and by the last day We had already taken them off!!! They also make them for kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am very susceptible to motion sickness, so naturally I was worried for my first-ever cruise last month.

I wore me ReliefBand (which has been a travel lifesaver for years). I also got the patch from my doctor. Between those 2 things I didn't have a problem, not even on our catamaran trip around Antigua.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

I'm lucky not to have any issues with motion sickness. The cruise ship size/design, stabilizers, seamanship, etc all combine to do a remarkable job of making things comfortable. But, unless in a millpond, there is going to be movement. Because you know you are susceptable to motion sickness, I think you are very wise to see a doc beforehand. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a massive mastoid infection in my teens, so any motions like spinning rides or looping roller coasters kill me. On our cruise in 02, I was great on the Hudson through NYC, but once we hit the ocean...:o. I went to the gift shop, cashier sold me Bonine, and I was fine for the rest of the week. Plan to take it before we leave the hotel for the ship this year!

The biggest thing about motion sickness medications, whether OTC or prescription, is that if you take it when you start to feel bad, its too late. This is why you should try these meds before cruising to see if you have side effects. If you are very sensitive to motion sickness, start the meds as soon as you board, and continue for the entire trip.

For those who have had bad side effects from the patch (and these should be a last resort), you can reduce the dosage in an easy and safe manner. Place a small round bandaid behind your ear, and then place the Scop patch partially on the bandaid and partially on your skin. Only that portion touching your skin will transfer the medication, so it reduces the dosage. If you still feel side effects, but not motion sickness, move the patch more on to the bandaid. Move it more onto your skin if you still feel motion sickness.

It is not so much that cruise ships are "designed to go through the waves", as the simple physics that their size and weight keeps them from riding over seas the way a small boat does.

The biggest thing about motion sickness medications, whether OTC or prescription, is that if you take it when you start to feel bad, its too late. This is why you should try these meds before cruising to see if you have side effects. If you are very sensitive to motion sickness, start the meds as soon as you board, and continue for the entire trip.

For those who have had bad side effects from the patch (and these should be a last resort), you can reduce the dosage in an easy and safe manner. Place a small round bandaid behind your ear, and then place the Scop patch partially on the bandaid and partially on your skin. Only that portion touching your skin will transfer the medication, so it reduces the dosage. If you still feel side effects, but not motion sickness, move the patch more on to the bandaid. Move it more onto your skin if you still feel motion sickness.

It is not so much that cruise ships are "designed to go through the waves", as the simple physics that their size and weight keeps them from riding over seas the way a small boat does.

That’s really good advice about the patch and I haven’t heard it elsewhere. It makes sense.I take Bonine which works great for me, but this is good to know. Thx for sharing :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My wife uses the patch and sea bands. In Canada the patch is available OTC, so she brings a healthy supply depending on length and location of cruise.

If the ship is rocking gently she will use the wrist bands, but when heavy weather is predicted she applies a patch about 12 hrs before. Fortunately she doesn't experience any of the patch side affects. She changes the patch about every 3 days.

Been using this combination for many years and is good except in some of the more extreme storms.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
thank you!

what are the patches side effects?

Xenia

Hi Xenia,

The most common is drowsiness and a slight groggy feeling. You may not experience any of these. Mixing the patch with alcohol is not a good combination, so this may affect you cruise ;-)

Its my understanding, and you would probably know more than I as I'm only a mechanical engineer with no knowledge of marine design, that while cruiseships are equipped with anti-heeling systems the stabilizers don’t help with much with pitching, so modern cruise ships are often designed to have a longer and narrower bow to help cut through the waves. I know that its size and weight will effect its water displacement so physics come into play but thought that there were some design elements as well. If I'm wrong, I apologize - just remember reading that somewhere in passing along the way......

thank you!

what are the patches side effects?

Xenia

Side affects vary and many do mention not to drink alcohol. However, DW has no side affects and does not have any problem with social drinking.

Side affects vary and many do mention not to drink alcohol. However, DW has no side affects and does not have any problem with social drinking.

I also use the patches, they have allowed me to continue cruising. I get a very dry mouth but nothing worse. I do drink alcohol, a few units a day, and this causes no problems despite all the other meds I take that also warn against drinking alcohol with them (my GP knows about this and is fine with it, alcohol is not completely contra-indicated with any of my meds).

I have a friend who gets sea sick watching ducks on a pond or ice cubes floating in a glass of whisky.

Strangely enough, a pair of sea bands worked like a charm on him when we sailed through the straits of Messina, where it can get a bit rough.

• 3 weeks later...
Its my understanding, and you would probably know more than I as I'm only a mechanical engineer with no knowledge of marine design, that while cruiseships are equipped with anti-heeling systems the stabilizers don’t help with much with pitching, so modern cruise ships are often designed to have a longer and narrower bow to help cut through the waves. I know that its size and weight will effect its water displacement so physics come into play but thought that there were some design elements as well. If I'm wrong, I apologize - just remember reading that somewhere in passing along the way......

Don't short yourself. (Not my first time reading this but upon reading again, a light blub when off. I may be mistaken, like you, but many Mechanical Engineers go on to work in aerospace? Since air, space is a gas, or lack there of depending on how high up you go, isn't water also a different type of gas? So your comments are worthy to be considered even if you find out the mark was missed. :D (I'm not being critical or sarcastic)

Ramona

I get carsick and seasick in small boats all the time. I bring plenty of Dramamine and Sea Bands. I don't need either most of the time. If things seem like they are getting a little rough I take Dramamine before I get sick and put on the Sea Bands. Drinking ginger ale also helps.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Forums mobile app

That's why i take ginger root capsules with me. If I'm on vacation, i want to have a drink or two or more :)

I should mention my motion sickness is weird. Slight movements make me ill-things like the sway of a skyscraper, soft floorboards that flex under foot, or the way an rv tilts when it's parked, so it's no surprise when the stabilizers are working, i feel every little movement but when the seas are rough, i can ditch the ginger and enjoy the ride.