Any tips for new comers?

Netosha

...Don't feel that you need to take part in all the activities. Give yourself time to relax...

In the same vein, do you know why you are going on a cruise? Seriously, have you thought about what your biggest hopes & expectations are? Is it about warm weather? Nice beaches? Exotic drinks at funny little bars? Landscapes? Sea scapes? Iguanas? Dolphins? Whales? The ship’s great food? The pool, climbing wall, water slides, etc.? The luxury of just relaxing while a competent staff looks after you? The list of possibles goes on and on; what is it that you are hoping for? The point is, as others have said, don’t try to do it all. And if you have some expectations ahead of time, it will help you focus and prioritize your time.

But oh by the way... Prepare to be flexible and enjoy things you never had thought about. And along the way, make mental notes about what you want to do next time; there will be a next time.

• 2 weeks later...

Take a cheap watch and set it to ship's time when you leave the ship so that you don't get left behind when the ship leaves. Some of the ports are on a different time zone so looking at a clock at a bar might cause you to be wrong about what time it is and you could miss the ship. Your phone will auto correct to the time zone. A cheap watch will keep you on ship time.;)

• 3 weeks later...

Top 5 Cruise Travel Rules:

1. DO NOT travel to the embarkation port on the day the cruise starts. Delay's happen including things that you have absolutely no control over.

2. Get travel insurance! All it has to do is save you $$ one time to have more than paid for its cost every time!

3. Keep your passport and other travel docs with you at all times while traveling and NEVER put them in your luggage!

4. Check that you have all travel documents with you before you leave your house!

5. After you make your cruise reservations, continue to check back with the cruiseline website to check for price drops, added benefits such as OBC (On Board Credit) or newly added benefits, etc.) and, if you find them, contact your cruise line (or TA (Travel Agent) to see if your booking can be modified to include them. Do this right up to the end.  The worst that can happen is you'll be told no!

Tom

1. Do your research. Check out the your ship's deck plans and get familiar with them beforehand. This will give you an idea of how to get around, and it will also let you know just what the ship offers.

2. Same thing for ports. Check out the Port of Call threads and Trip Adviser.

3. Join your roll call.

4. Food. If you see two entrees on the dinner menu that you really like, order both. Same for appetizers and desserts.

1. Do your research. Check out the your ship's deck plans and get familiar with them beforehand. This will give you an idea of how to get around, and it will also let you know just what the ship offers.

2. Same thing for ports. Check out the Port of Call threads and Trip Adviser.

3. Join your roll call.

4. Food. If you see two entrees on the dinner menu that you really like, order both. Same for appetizers and desserts.

On #4, if you don't want to eat that much, see if either of the two will be on a following day's menu so you can eat one then and the other one today!

Tom

• 2 weeks later...
I saved this document from this board years ago and have found it very helpful.

Go with an open mind and be nice to everyone. They will be nice to you. If you're a drinker, tip your bartender an extra dollar here and there! The service will be amazing

Thank you so much for that document. very helpful information in it.

The port times listed in the itinerary are not the earliest time you can get off the ship, nor the latest time you can board the ship. Times listed on an itinerary are when the ship is expected to dock and undock.

Last aboard time will be printed in your daily cruise planner. There will usually be a sign with the same information on your way off the ship or at the bottom of the gang plank. This time is the time by which one has to be back aboard the ship. In tendered ports, the last tender time will be listed instead.

Port times can be adjusted for various reasons. Always check the daily planner and listen to announcements.

ALWAYS take a copy of the Princess Patter (or applicable daily "newsletter" for your cruise line) with you when you go ashore, especially if you're going on an excursion that is not sponsored by the cruise line. That's because if something happens and you miss the sailing time, the name and contact information for the Port Agent for your cruise line will be printed there and that is the person whom you will want to get in touch with to help you get married up with your ship again. They will also probably have your travel documents should you have left them in the safe in your cabin.

Tom

What are some tips you would offer for a first time cruiser?a

Just back from my first ever cruise, from UK so might be slightly different. I read all the posts avidly, dressing for dinner meant an opportunity for new outfits. I went way over the top and arrived on embarkation day like a pack horse, bags dangling from everywhere, in addition to my two cases. The advice I am giving to myself for my next cruise is you can wear things more than once and nobody cares. Mix and match evening trousers and tops are my way forward and above all if it's not comfortable don't take it. I probably needed a third of what I took. Be yourself, do what suits you, and take comfy shoes. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Read the reviews - I have two of mine in my signature. It gives you a great idea of what to expect. I'm also attaching a document that was posted here before that I think is helpful. Good luck!

This attachment is excellent. Thanks much.

ALWAYS take a copy of the Princess Patter (or applicable daily "newsletter" for your cruise line) with you when you go ashore, especially if you're going on an excursion that is not sponsored by the cruise line. That's because if something happens and you miss the sailing time, the name and contact information for the Port Agent for your cruise line will be printed there and that is the person whom you will want to get in touch with to help you get married up with your ship again. They will also probably have your travel documents should you have left them in the safe in your cabin.

Tom

I now take a picture of this information with my phone and delete upon return. Not a perfect solution, as I could loose my phone, but I hate carrying extra paper(s) and find this work for me.

Be Organized

Pick up a travel folder with see thru pages to hold your important papers ie; boarding passes, excursion information, special events, flight info and so on. It's much easier to have all of that at hand instead of scrambling around in your carry on.

Early Bird

Arrive at the cruise terminal around 10/10:30 am on embarkation day. Go through security, get on board key card and board the ship early by 11:30 am.

Start your vacation early instead of waiting around a crowded hectic cruise terminal.

Embarkation Lunch

Head straight to the Lido for lunch. If you're cruising on Princess some ships offer lunch in the main dining room, take advantage of this.

Trip Study

Research all of your ports. Look over the excursions offered, read about what interests and book some excursions. Some ports are easily done on foot others are more suitable to a booked excursion. Don't wing it.

Meet Your Cruise Mates

Join the roll call for your cruise here at Cruise Critic. You will learn tons of things and meet some great new friends while your at it.

Jonathan

Edited by cruiserking

Honestly...take a highlighter and highlight items of interest on the daily schedule!!! Be ready to change your schedule. Don't sweat the small stuff!!! We just came off a RCI cruise..we booked an excursion through the cruise line and the company got the pier mixed up and we did not get to swim with the sting rays. The one thing on my list....lol!! But, we just got more deck time on the ship!!! Had a great day!! One man on the bus...with his kids just started letting the company have it, in front of everyone...whew!!! So my point is plan...but take it all in stride, you are on a ship!!! A very happy place!!!! ( They gave our money back..so no problem)

You are SO underplaying the screw up on this excursion. It isn't every day/vacation/trip that you can swim with stingrays. We swam with Manta rays in Hawaii and it was AMAZING. Ours was a land trip and we did the swim at night. They put HUGE lights on the bottom of the ocean and the lights draw in the krill (?) and then the Manta Rays come. They were HUGE. And soft. And swam over our heads and bumped us. I know ... stingrays and Mantas are not the same thing. But it's still an unusual experience and not one you can do any day of the week.

Be Organized

Pick up a travel folder with see thru pages to hold your important papers ie; boarding passes, excursion information, special events, flight info and so on. It's much easier to have all of that at hand instead of scrambling around in your carry on.

Early Bird

Arrive at the cruise terminal around 10/10:30 am on embarkation day. Go through security, get on board key card and board the ship early by 11:30 am.

Start your vacation early instead of waiting around a crowded hectic cruise terminal.

Embarkation Lunch

Head straight to the Lido for lunch. If you're cruising on Princess some ships offer lunch in the main dining room, take advantage of this.

Trip Study

Research all of your ports. Look over the excursions offered, read about what interests and book some excursions. Some ports are easily done on foot others are more suitable to a booked excursion. Don't wing it.

Meet Your Cruise Mates

Join the roll call for your cruise here at Cruise Critic. You will learn tons of things and meet some great new friends while your at it.

Jonathan

Good points, but I have a couple suggestions:

Early Bird - depending on the line you might not be able to board early and if you wait until later you might avoid lines too

Embarkation lunch - try to avoid the Lido and see what other options are available; we had nice embarkation lunches at O'Sheehans on NCL and Alfredo's on Princess. These can be good, relaxing lunch options that might get more crowded later in the cruise.

You are SO underplaying the screw up on this excursion. It isn't every day/vacation/trip that you can swim with stingrays. We swam with Manta rays in Hawaii and it was AMAZING. Ours was a land trip and we did the swim at night. They put HUGE lights on the bottom of the ocean and the lights draw in the krill (?) and then the Manta Rays come. They were HUGE. And soft. And swam over our heads and bumped us. I know ... stingrays and Mantas are not the same thing. But it's still an unusual experience and not one you can do any day of the week.

I think they are just "not crying over spilt milk". Yes, it would be frustrating to miss an excursion like that. But if you miss it the world goes on. Enjoy yourself anyway and don't obsess about something beyond your control and let it ruin your trip. It sounds to me like they had a healthy attitude towards the inconvenience and disappointment.

--Try to fly in the day before. But sometimes this isn't an option. We have flown in 3x on embarkation day as it was our only option. 2x we booked with the cruiseline, which should give you a level of protection should you run late. But we definitely bought travel insurance!!!

--You do NOT need a passport if traveling the Caribbean or MX Riviera. While recommended, if you do not plan to travel internationally or aren't sure if cruising is right for you, a state ID (like a driver's license) & a CERTIFIED (raised seal) birth certificate are sufficient. Our children never had passports on our cruises--NO issues. (btw, if you do have passports, leave them in your safe while on port, but do take a photo of them on your phone; only take your ID & sea pass)

--You can do as much or as little as you like. Beauty of a cruise. If traveling with others, be flexible--it will drive you crazy trying to coordinate everyone. When traveling with a group we had dinner together every night. If the dailies were out, we reviewed them & everyone said what they wanted to do.

--Pack half as much stuff & twice as much money. We don't spend much, but I would hate to run short! ATM fees can be costly (but if you forget cash--AS MY BROTHER DID--ATMs are available even on the ship;-)

--You change clothes A LOT on a cruise, so dress to mix & match since you can wear things more than once. I toss on a tee & shorts for breakfast, then into swimsuit for a few hours, then casual top & capris for afternoon & nicer outfit for evening! I stick with mostly black pants/shorts so I just need a couple shorts, a couple casual capris, a couple nice slacks or capris--3 tees, 3 casual tops, 3 dressy tops. I have done a 7 day cruise with a backpack & carry on (one time we flew in embarkation day & booked ourselves; worried about delays we opted for no checked bags. I STILL didn't wear everything I brought! Do bring plenty of sunscreen if it is the Caribbean. BUT virtually anything you forget you can get onboard or do without (except perhaps prescription eyeglasses or prescription drugs--and even some drugs are be available)

--PS DO not hesitate to go to the on board medical center if it really is necessary. My DF was clammy, sweaty with heart palpitations about 4PM embarkation day. He was rushed down. They did EKGs, blood tests--determined he was dehydrated & gave him 2 bags of saline. They even held the ship about an hour JUST in case he needed a hospital. The bill from Celebrity was under $500 (WAY less than emergency room!) & Blue Cross covered it. My mother is an RN & was impressed with the staff & the cost.

--On port--DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT be late for the ship. We are always sure to be back about 90 minutes before the ship is due to depart if we have to transport back to the port. If we are just walking around the port area we don't worry as much. But we are ALWAYS sure that our watched match ship time & we know what time we are due back on. It would be SO costly & SUCH a pain to be stuck in a port. (so be sure to have ID & credit card JUST in case...)

--The only other thing you need to bring is a good attitude & open mind--have a blast! You will likely be hooked like most of us after a first cruise!