upgrade worth it to Britannia Club room

britichick

We weren't going to have a cruise this year but my resolve has gradually been weakening and I had been starting to look at autumn short breaks. Having read this thread and been wanting to try Britannia Club anyway, I persuaded my other half that we should do QV's 3 night trip to Le Havre this November. I therefore made a booking yesterday and the extra cost of a club cabin was £97 per person over the three nights. With a bit of OBC offered by a TA I have occasionally used, I think that hopefully, this will work out to be a good deal. It will be our first time on QV, so will also give us the opportunity to check her out ahead of our Mediterranean voyage on her next October (in a standard Britannia balcony).

I'm very excited already! :D

Kynance: sounds wonderful and a very similar deal/price difference to my forthcoming trip for a 3 night Xmas market trip on the QE. So let us know how it goes.

I did a Western Med cruise on the QV last year and I don’t think you will be disappointed. I’m back on the QV next summer for a Fjords trip.

BC on the QE,for us, was fantastic.Never been on a ship where you have your own table anytime for breakfast,lunch and dinner.The breakfast menu was the most extensive I've seen and everything fresh and hot within minutes.Having the same waitstaff knowing your needs inside out after only a few days.How's that for an advert,is the cheque in the post,lol.

At least for U.S. market pricing and offers, Britannia Club always seems a bad value all around....at the prevailing pricing for me, no thanks.

I can provide some data to support this. I started tracking the December 15, 2018, westbound TA late last year, when I was contracted to teach a short course in Manchester and thought it'd be a good way to come home, since it departs a week after the end of the class.

I decided to track prices for all categories for this crossing, mostly as an academic exercise (my training in science coming out), with updates every four or so weeks. Since October 2017, Britannia Club has generally been 75% to 150% higher than a balcony cabin (it was almost double once), while PG has been about 14% to 25% more than BC.

By the way, we booked a P1 cabin under a promo for Cunard World Club, prices for which were not shown on the Web site, but were substantially less than the advertised price. Actually, the rate we booked (April this year) was significantly less than the advertised BC pricing at the time.

Indeed. We are booked in a P2 for QUEEN ELIZABETH 28 August at the same fare as a Britannia Club cabin is being offered today. We booked ours on a World Club promotion as soon as we returned from our last cruise, a "Three for Three" deal that, in effect, upgraded you from Britannia Club to Princess, free gratuities and free drinks plus $400 pp more OBC. Sometimes it's worth grabbing a deal when it's first offered rather than wait hoping for better. Britannia Club almost never seems a "deal" compared to standard balconies or Princess Grill. The concept is nice, the cost... isn't.

I completely agree you need to work out the maths. My previous post was less scientific but to run the numbers on a 3 night QE trip (using Early Saver rather than Cunard fares as the basis):

- The cheapest stateroom was actually a Britannia balcony (obstructed view) at £299 per person. It was cheaper than either an inside or oceanview room. This is my baseline.

- The cheapest unobstructed view was around 6% more than the baseline.

- The cheapest BC stateroom was around 35% more than the baseline.

- The cheapest Princess Grills option was around 300% more.

- The cheapest Queen’s Grills option was around 500% more.