A Proper G&T

smokinmike

As a person who takes some measure of pride in producing a craft cocktail at home, I value experience, expertise, and knowledge. Knowing that Englishmen and Englishwomen are habitués of the Cunard board and at the risk of instigating controversy, I am asking for thoughts on the preparation of a proper gin and tonic.

I have always considered the gin and tonic a deceptively simple drink and in the days of my wanton youth, countless “Bombays and Tonic” were passed to me across various bars all over the globe. Invariably the drinks were made in the same manner: ice in a glass (usually in an Old Fashioned glass), a splash of spirit of choice (in my case, usually Bombay), a squirt of tonic from a bar gun, a squeeze from a lime wedge with a drop-in, and the insertion of a plastic bar straw with a two stroke stir.

Now - please understand that I have nothing against this preparation. However, I do things differently now that I am in my dotage - I measure everything, I use spirits based on a flavor profile, I use fresh fruit and juices, and when stirring or shaking with ice, I use a lot of time.

Presently my G&T is constructed with 2 ounces of a London dry gin (Gordon’s or Bombay Sapphire), 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and 4 ounces of Schweppes tonic - all combined in an ice-filled Collins glass. I stir the gin and juice for a longish bit prior to adding the tonic with a quick stir for that and garnish with a lime wheel.

As I said earlier, a gin and tonic is a deceptively easy drink to make and I realize that the addition of more than a “squeeze” of lime juice may not be traditional - it works for me though. I’m aware that even a squeeze of juice may not be preferable to some - there are folks who just want the interplay between the gin, tonic, and ice. I’m further aware that there are those who don’t want ice in their G&T as I’m also aware that there are those who may prefer lemon in place of lime as the fruit - either from preference or because lemon is a better accompaniment for a certain gin.

So - I’m opening the door here. How do Brits like their G&Ts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by smokinmike

Americans have enough ice in their drinks to sink the Titanic.We have got to the stage on ships,to order our ice in a separate glass and the mixer in a can or bottle.We mix it all ourselves,1 2oz measure of liquor,2 pieces of ice and 1/3 of can of mixer.

The mass market tonics in the US are sweeter than the same brands in Europe, which, until the availability of 'artisanal' tonic waters in the US (Q tonic, Fentimans, etc.) is why I switched to martinis. However, when I go out in the US, I drink martinis, G&T's at home.

3 ice cubes in a large tumbler, 25ml of Bombay Sapphire, filled with slimline tonic which is flavoured with a touch of lime, wedge of lime.

Another favourite, 3 cubes of ice, 25ml of Martin Millers, 1 sliced strawberry, dash of ground pepper, pepper corns, topped with slimline tonic (plain, not flavoured).

Third option, again no more than 3 ice cubes, tumbler, 25ml of Bombay, 3/4 filled with cranberry juice, topped off with ginger ale.

Well - I’m learning that ice should be used in moderation, lime juice is not an ingredient, and that my tonic water needs improvement. Martin Miller’s Gin sounds intriguing- as does the recipe using it. Please keep your suggestions coming!

If you don't mind an answer from one of Her Majesty's loyal Dominions beyond the seas: when making a G&T I start with a generous amount of gin (usually Bombay but any English gin will do) followed by a squeeze of a lime wedge which is then dropped into the glass, then some good tonic (Fever Tree if I can get it - or afford it) and only then a small amount of ice. I find the tonic keeps its bubbles longer if the ice is added after the tonic. If the tonic is cold from the fridge then one or two cubes is sufficient; if warm three cubes may be necessary.

I have cut down ordering a G&T in a bar or restaurant. Usually there is barely enough gin to cover the bottom of the glass, the tonic often comes from a hose and is almost flat and they add far too much ice. Yes, you can negotiate with the server to serve the tonic "on the side" and hold back on the ice, but it gets tiresome.

All the following with lots of ice and a slimline shweppes or britvic tonic:

Bombay London or Greenhalls Gin, wedge of lime

Hendricks Gin, slices of cucumber

Harris Gin, slice of pink grapefruit

Chase Pink Grapefruit Gin, perfect

Just a few thoughts for those who prefer less ice.

Store your choice of gin in the refrigerator next to the tonic.

Think smaller individual servings. Old Fashioned glass vs Collins.

Chill the glass either a) by storing in the refrigerator or freezer or b) with ice and cold water. If a), the heavier bottomed the glass, the better. If b), something more lightweight, like a Riedel O, chills more quickly.

But no matter your pleasure, cheers!

The ice is just a personal preference.I don't want my drink starting to dilute immediately.It's 40c + here for 2 months in the summer,but I still only have 2 pieces of ice.Keeping the liquor in freezer is even better.

It depends. Usually it's Whittaker's Gin & Le Tribute Tonic. For sentimental reasons sometimes it may be Plymouth Navy Strength & Schweppes (as it was served on the most venerable RMS St. Helena). I like to add rose pepper or star anise, sometinmes even cinnamon. I have to admit that I'm not overly fond of Cunard's own moonshine.

I do find that a bad tonic can ruin the gin - so there's no Slimline Britvic nonsense in my bar. I like Dr. Polidori's tonics, but Fever Tree does a good job too.

Last night - 2 ounces of Beefeater, 4 ounces of Fever Tree tonic, and a lime wheel in a double Old Fashioned glass with four ice cubes.

It works for me - I’m impressed with Fever Tree.

I was so impressed, I made a second.

One measure of gin, two measures of gin.

Slice of lemon

An ice cube to chill, not dilute.

Triple gin.Do you hide your bottle of mothers ruin under the kitchen sink,lol.

Last night - 2 ounces of Beefeater, 4 ounces of Fever Tree tonic, and a lime wheel in a double Old Fashioned glass with four ice cubes. It works for me - I’m impressed with Fever Tree.

I was so impressed, I made a second.

Reminds me of the Dorothy Parker line (although some dispute its origin):

“I like to have a Martini,
Two at the very most.

After three I’m under the table,
After four I’m under my host.”

I’m not a big drinker so if im going to have a drink I’ll make sure it’s a good one.

My fave is Hendricks with a slice of cucumber (don’t you dare come near my Hendricks with lemon or lime!) and either Schweppes or East Imperial tonic.

I have also recently tried and loved Tanqueray’s Rangpur gin with lime juice and tonic. Very refreshing.

Reminds me of the Dorothy Parker line (although some dispute its origin):

“I like to have a Martini,
Two at the very most.

After three I’m under the table,
After four I’m under my host.”

Wish I had a “like” button on this app! Rotfl! Love it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I lived for 10 years in the Middle East. Not so sniffy about choices. Hate saccharine but now Type 1 so no choice. Before diabetes any tonic that didn’t have blessed sweetener. Now it hardly matters. Need a hefty whack of gin, ice if gin and mixer not chilled, lemon or lime, zest if possible! Go Grills - take your own choice of mixer! That’s what we just did. Fabulous!

Sent from my iPad using Forums