My son is 15 years old, is he allowed on the solarium on adventure of the seas?

CNTowerGUN

• 2 weeks later...
It's not like they card you at the door. If he looks like he might be 16 and is acting like an adult the crew won't say a thing.

Another of the "rules do not apply to me" respondents.

DON

I don’t normally advocate rule-breaking, but if he looks old enough and behaves well, I can’t see any harm in giving it a try.

I don’t normally advocate rule-breaking, but if he looks old enough and behaves well, I can’t see any harm in giving it a try.

Because the policy is 16 and the adults that use the Solarium typically do so because the rule is 16. It is an adult area which has been determined by the cruise line to restrict use to 16 and older. So the harm is you would be affecting others who don't want under 16 there and go there because the policy is 16. But what the heck, right? Rules are meant to be broken. :rolleyes:Unless someone broke a rule that would affect you of course.......

Because the policy is 16 and the adults that use the Solarium typically do so because the rule is 16. It is an adult area which has been determined by the cruise line to restrict use to 16 and older. So the harm is you would be affecting others who don't want under 16 there and go there because the policy is 16. But what the heck, right? Rules are meant to be broken. :rolleyes:Unless someone broke a rule that would affect you of course.......

I’m more interested in the desired result than the rule itself. Why is the cut-off 16? Probably because they’re looking for an enforceable way to keep out people who don’t act like adults, or who might be so young they’d have safety issues if they were allowed in. If a person is 15, but looks and acts 16+, the spirit of the rule has been upheld, even if the letter has not.

I don’t have kids, I don’t want to share the solarium with other people’s kids, and I’m not advocating breaking the rules. But if a kid looks and acts so much like an adult that no one even notices he’s there, that seems like a pretty good result to me.

the harm is teaching a child that the rules only apply when you feel like applying them to yourself. the harm tis putting he crew in the difficult position of having to enforce the rule if challenged, or worse, letting it slide and annoying those of us who follow all rules of the venue we are at regardless of whether or not we think they are fair.

Because the rule is no one under 16 allowed, I'm not sure why your 15 year old would even want to be in the Solarium. I don't think he would enjoy the Solarium very much. I'm 66 and find it a bit stuffy. I prefer the activity and the music around the family pools.

I’m more interested in the desired result than the rule itself. Why is the cut-off 16? Probably because they’re looking for an enforceable way to keep out people who don’t act like adults, or who might be so young they’d have safety issues if they were allowed in. If a person is 15, but looks and acts 16+, the spirit of the rule has been upheld, even if the letter has not.

I don’t have kids, I don’t want to share the solarium with other people’s kids, and I’m not advocating breaking the rules. But if a kid looks and acts so much like an adult that no one even notices he’s there, that seems like a pretty good result to me.

The desired result and the rule are one in the same. It is a pool area - unlike the main pool - that is intended for adult use and not children. It has nothing to do safety or how old a person acts or looks - which IMO is an irrelevant argument.

It is simply the age that has been determined by the cruise line to be the cut off age for passengers who wish to be there - period. It is an objective decision, not a subjective one based on some arbitrary interpretation of the "spirit of the rule". It is intended to prevent exactly that. For the benefit of those adults who expect to not have children under that age to be there, that is the expected and desired result.

And I'm not sure how anything you try to justify regarding allowing those under the stated policy age could be interpreted as anything but advocating breaking the rules. I don't understand why you just don't accept that this is the policy and let it go at that. If you really have an issue with it you should be contacting the cruise line to make your case - and then they can respond as well with why it is their policy.

• 2 weeks later...

It starts with just 1 under aged kid, but he/she tells their buddies who then want access as well, along with someone who's jealous that the rules don't apply to those kids, so why should they apply to mine, and next thing you know, the 16yr + solarium becomes the hangout for a 12 to 15 yr old crowd, vying the pizza shop for popularity.

After that, what the heck, may as well let the 8 to 12 yr olds join in the fun. And what about the kids in diapers? can't exclude them either.

Our daughter was 15 & joined us in the solarium. She simply wanted to sit, with family & read in the sun.

I understand the rule, but I also knew that my daughter would behave more respectfully than some over the age of 16.

We all know it really isn't about a specific age, but a behavior expectation.

But since behaviors can be very subjective, age is easier to enforce should their be any issues.

Now, had they looked up her age & asked her to leave, we would have respected that.

The question is--would they ask those who are over 16 to leave if they were behaving like children? I saw a young couple carrying on loudly in the solarium, splashing one another, making out. BUT they were over 16...I am 100% confident all passengers there much preferred my lovely daughter's behavior to this couple's....

The desired result and the rule are one in the same. It is a pool area - unlike the main pool - that is intended for adult use and not children. It has nothing to do safety or how old a person acts or looks - which IMO is an irrelevant argument.

It is simply the age that has been determined by the cruise line to be the cut off age for passengers who wish to be there - period. It is an objective decision, not a subjective one based on some arbitrary interpretation of the "spirit of the rule". It is intended to prevent exactly that. For the benefit of those adults who expect to not have children under that age to be there, that is the expected and desired result.

And I'm not sure how anything you try to justify regarding allowing those under the stated policy age could be interpreted as anything but advocating breaking the rules. I don't understand why you just don't accept that this is the policy and let it go at that. If you really have an issue with it you should be contacting the cruise line to make your case - and then they can respond as well with why it is their policy.

Very well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our daughter was 15 & joined us in the solarium. She simply wanted to sit, with family & read in the sun.

I understand the rule, but I also knew that my daughter would behave more respectfully than some over the age of 16.

But since behaviors can be very subjective, age is easier to enforce should their be any issues.

Now, had they looked up her age & asked her to leave, we would have respected that.

The question is--would they ask those who are over 16 to leave if they were behaving like children? I saw a young couple carrying on loudly in the solarium, splashing one another, making out. BUT they were over 16...I am 100% confident all passengers there much preferred my lovely daughter's behavior to this couple's....

who cares. the age is 16. you cannot use the argument of 'adults misbhave worse than my perfect angel'

NOT THE POINT.

the point is.. the age to utilize the Solarium is 16. not 15 . not 15.5. not 9 and 3/4. behavior is irrelevant .

I suppose you'd be okay with her sneaking into an 18 and over club too? since she doesn't drink?

So the lesson for your daughter is it's OK to break the rules that suit your preferences as long as you don't get caught, and if you do, respect them then?

Along with the other posts on this thread explaining why the age rule is the policy, see my responses in posts #8 and #12. All you did was offer a justification why in your eyes the rules don't apply to you. You apparently think the rules are subjective which why it was OK for you to violate them. By your logic anyone can then build a case as to why their child is fine to be there as well. But this is not a subjective policy, it is an objective one meant to apply to all - including you!

Edited by leaveitallbehind

I’m not sure how my comment of “I don’t have any kids, and I don’t want to share the solarium with other people’s kids” got translated into having an issue with the cruise line’s policy and needing to contact them for clarification or change. I don’t want the policy to change, and I don’t need clarification - it sounds just fine to me. I just said, rather selfishly, that if the kid looked and acted over 16, I’d never know the difference or have grounds for complaint. You plainly feel otherwise. Fair enough.

Edited by lisiamc

Well said.

I’m not sure how my comment of “I don’t have any kids, and I don’t want to share the solarium with other people’s kids” got translated into having an issue with the cruise line’s policy and needing to contact them for clarification or change. I don’t want the policy to change, and I don’t need clarification - it sounds just fine to me. I just said, rather selfishly, that if the kid looked and acted over 16, I’d never know the difference or have grounds for complaint. You plainly feel otherwise. Fair enough.

That fact that you do not have kids is irrelevant to my response to you comments regarding the "desired result" and the "spirit of the rule", which is what I was addressing.

But more than enough - in particular by me - has been said about this. It is just the cruise line policy which IMO should be respected and followed by all.

If your kid (perfect angel who is wise beyond his years or not) isn't 16, keep him out. Or her, even if she wants to read quietly. The underage kid is taking a seat from someone who can be there without sneaking in.

Never once were there no open seats in there. Had that been, I agree, I would have said she needs to go elsewhere.