Walking shoes for a September Nordic Cruise

teena4

I have a tendency to get blisters and I assume I can expect rain on this trip so would really appreciate any tips on great shoes to get which will be comfortable and waterproof. Have tried googling but there are so many that I am at a loss and realised that those that know best are those who have gone before. Please help or point me in the direction of help. Also do I need to buy a size bigger (if they are trainer typr shoes) and are anti-blister socks any good?

I am in the UK which affects the make of shoes that I can buy.

Thanks so much- I need to get some soon so I can get used to wearing them

I have a pair of Clarks shoes that are waterproof.

I wore them on our cruise to Norway, and at home walking the dog.

I find Clarks very comfortable (I have several pairs, only one pair is waterproof).

Also, check outdoor/camping stores. You may be able to find a waterproofing spray that you could spray on any pair of comfy shoes.

Never tried anti-blister socks, so can't offer and opinion on those.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi teena4, go to a good shoe store where they can fit you properly and have a variety of styles and makes of walking shoes. I did that last fall and bought a pair of New Balance shoes (model 1300) that are very comfortable. I ended up buying a half size larger based on their help. You really meed to try them on. Good luck!

I second the Clarks opinion. My husband and I both bought waterproof Clarks before going to Scotland and they were perfect in rain and dew. They'll be going with us to Norway was well.

Hi teena4, go to a good shoe store where they can fit you properly and have a variety of styles and makes of walking shoes. I did that last fall and bought a pair of New Balance shoes (model 1300) that are very comfortable. I ended up buying a half size larger based on their help. You really meed to try them on. Good luck!

I second this advice! I can get by with lesser priced shoes for every day living but on cruises when walking comfort is at a premium, I go to the experts at a proper shoe store. I've had good luck with Josef Seibel shoes http://www.josefseibel.co.uk/ and Aquatalia. The latter are (uncomfortably ;p ) expensive but if I can get them on sale I buy them as they're wonderful for walking and waterproof as well. They're Italian shoes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoes-Aquatalia-Bags/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A1769609031%2Cp_4%3AAquatalia

DITTO. It is the fit that counts, not the numbers printed on the side of the box. Each shoe is different, I can wear some Clark's styles but not all. AND, just because it feels good in the store does not mean that you don't have to give the a test run and break them in before you go.

As for blisters, I put adhesive tape (not band-aids which rub) on the places where I tend to blister before I get them, even for shoes that I know are comfortable. I like the fabric tape.

Ok, so first of all the only place you really need to worry about rain is Bergen.

Secondly what makes you think there’s lots of walking on a Norway cruise? However, that depends on what you call a long walk.

Meanwhile, being used to long hikes (and steep hills), I recommend not going tra shoe shop per se. You’re better off going to either Mountain Warehouse or Go Outdoors, both of which carry good ranges of walking, hiking and climbing booty, shoes and accessories including the appropriate socks, cleaners and waterproofers. Good luck.

I have a tendency to get blisters and I assume I can expect rain on this trip so would really appreciate any tips on great shoes to get which will be comfortable and waterproof. Have tried googling but there are so many that I am at a loss and realised that those that know best are those who have gone before. Please help or point me in the direction of help. Also do I need to buy a size bigger (if they are trainer typr shoes) and are anti-blister socks any good?

I am in the UK which affects the make of shoes that I can buy.

Thanks so much- I need to get some soon so I can get used to wearing them

Hi

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I did try Trespass shop but they didn't have my size and there are no other shops like that near me.

The cruise is actually the Viking Homelands one covering many other countries such as Sweden, Finland, Russia, Estonia ,.... and I remember from the Mediterranean one we did 2 years ago that we were on our feet a lot.

Sounds like noone has found the need for anti-blister socks so will take some of the advice on here.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

We are doing Mumbai to Bangkok in September and I wanted a pair of good stout shoes that allowed my feet to breath a bit. Ended up with a pair of Karrimor from JD. They are so comfortable I have been wearing them on my daily walks and will probably get another pair for our trip.

I'm from UK and buy Hotter shoes and use Blis-sox if any danger of blisters. Hotter do width fittings so best to try on in shop rather than buy online. Well trained staff who will advise. The trainers I buy are Asics Gel, good support and padding.

I'm from UK and buy Hotter shoes and use Blis-sox if any danger of blisters. Hotter do width fittings so best to try on in shop rather than buy online. Well trained staff who will advise. The trainers I buy are Asics Gel, good support and padding.

I use Hotter for my winter shoes, and my running shoes are ASICS. In warmer weather try Sketchers.

We are doing Mumbai to Bangkok in September and I wanted a pair of good stout shoes that allowed my feet to breath a bit. Ended up with a pair of Karrimor from JD. They are so comfortable I have been wearing them on my daily walks and will probably get another pair for our trip.

I will second Karrimor. I got a pair of walking boots that looked a cross between a boot and a trainer and they are so comfortable. As it was winter time when we were in Norway I made sure I could get thermal socks on so bought a size to accommodate them. I got them from Sports Direct and the price was very reasonable.

If you're going into Olden and then on to the Briksdal Glacier then maybe something like Karrimors could be a good idea - it gets wet and slippery underfoot in places on the path (if you hike it, and not take the buggy).

Walking up the hill in Gerainger just needs ordinary shoes.

Last time I got Karrimor shoes, I got a really good deal in Sports Direct.

I second this advice! I can get by with lesser priced shoes for every day living but on cruises when walking comfort is at a premium, I go to the experts at a proper shoe store. I've had good luck with Josef Seibel shoes http://www.josefseibel.co.uk/ and Aquatalia. The latter are (uncomfortably ;p ) expensive but if I can get them on sale I buy them as they're wonderful for walking and waterproof as well. They're Italian shoes. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shoes-Aquatalia-Bags/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=n%3A1769609031%2Cp_4%3AAquatalia

The Josef Seibel fashion snickers look very good and extremely comfortable. The price on Amazon was around $95-$200 depending on the size, color and availability.

Hi. Thanks again everyone. Have taken some advice on here and have ordered some Clarks Waveform shoes and will get some dubbin as suggested. I already have some Sketchers, in case we get some nice dry weather. Now I only have to worry about what clothes I need to buy for this trip! Happy cruising everyone.

I think shoe brands vary for everyone. No way can I wear a Clark shoe. My podiatrist recommends Keen's, Vionic and definitely New Balance. My husband and myself wore a combination of Keen's and New Balance on our Viking Homeland tours.

Parsley Cruises, it rains in many of the ports on the VH cruise and not just Bergen. We didn't have rain there but we experienced an extremely heavy rain in Stavanger. You just never know.

Shoe choice is a very personal decision. In some cases, I like to keep my feel dry and will choose a waterproof shoe. If your waterproof shoe gets water inside, it doesn't dry out easily. In warmer weather, I prefer a breathable shoe and bring extra socks. For socks, I prefer "Smart Wool" or similar. Feet stay comfortable and warm but do change socks if they are too wet. As far as size, I always size up on running shoes but not other shoes. Just make sure your foot doesn't slip around in the shoe and your toes have room to wiggle. Best to test them out before you leave for your trip. I plan to use running shoes and Keen sandals for walking about on my Midnight Sun cruise leaving this week.

I think shoe brands vary for everyone. No way can I wear a Clark shoe. My podiatrist recommends Keen's, Vionic and definitely New Balance. My husband and myself wore a combination of Keen's and New Balance on our Viking Homeland tours.

Parsley Cruises, it rains in many of the ports on the VH cruise and not just Bergen. We didn't have rain there but we experienced an extremely heavy rain in Stavanger. You just never know.

Oh well I must’ve got it wrong, having spent a lot of time cruising in that part of the world, or we’ve been lucky with the weather! Norway is just about our 2nd favourite country, Iceland in the winter is our top favourite, and we can’t get enough of either. However as they say in Iceland, no such thing as bad weather, just wrong clothing 😊😎