Ira to Circumnavigate Irish Land on Nautica

I_r_a

Hi All,

My Lady Wife and I shall be flying in a big silver bird across the ocean to Dublin.

I shall try to send back daily reports - it all depends on the ship's wifi.

Ciao

Ira

Hi All,

My Lady Wife and I shall be flying in a big silver bird across the ocean to Dublin.

I shall try to send back daily reports - it all depends on the ship's wifi.

Ciao

Ira

Never Ciao for an Irish Cruise

slàinte

It should be gorgeous there at this time of year.

Looking forward to the reports!

I thought the same thing!

We have relatives over there, and they consider "the troubles" to have ended around 1998 (although the IRA did not officially disband until 2005).

Twenty years is a long time, but as Mark Twain put it:

Twenty-years-from-now-you-will-be-more-disappointed-by-the-things-that-you-didn%E2%80%99t-do-than-by-the-ones-you-did-do.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Please forgive me for not reporting live, but a series of unforeseeable mishaps coupled with vindictive evil forces prevented me from communicating - to wit, I broke my computer and the ships wifi proved unreliable.

So, here I am, finally at home and ready to update you.

A quick Summary:

Lovely trip. Beautiful, well-kept ship. Excellent professional, yet friendly, service. Very Good to Excellent food (except that they kept overcooking the lobster - 3x). Beautiful country. Almost perfect weather.

Ask questions, if you wish, while I sort through photos, and begin posting details.

Ira

Glad you enjoyed the cruise to the land of my forefathers! Looking forward to some of the pictures. Will be there next summer.

As far as the lobster goes, we stopped ordering it several cruises ago, always tough and over cooked, in our opinion. Other posters here seem to like it that way apparently ! Must be like preferring super well done steak, each to their own as far as food goes! Plenty of other stuff to eat.

Ira,

Welcome back! Glad you had such a wonderful cruise. We are doing the 18 day Myths & Legends circling England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland next June, so I hope we are as fortunate with the weather. We were in Dublin for 4.5 days in November 2015, and only had less than a half day of rain altogether - but not being Irish, we can't count on their luck for good weather! Hoping we didn't exhaust our supply on that 2015 visit.

Looking forward to your report. Especially interested in what you did in the ports, how tendering went, and if shuttles were provided or needed in any of them.

Thanks!

Ira,

Welcome back! Glad you had such a wonderful cruise. We are doing the 18 day Myths & Legends circling England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland next June, so I hope we are as fortunate with the weather. We were in Dublin for 4.5 days in November 2015, and only had less than a half day of rain altogether - but not being Irish, we can't count on their luck for good weather! Hoping we didn't exhaust our supply on that 2015 visit.

Looking forward to your report. Especially interested in what you did in the ports, how tendering went, and if shuttles were provided or needed in any of them.

Thanks!

We. Are also doing the 18 day trip next June 9, 2019. I was concerned about the ship, food, service etc as I’ve heard some negatives lately.

Hi all,

After an uneventful transition to ATL, a bumpy ride in an Airbus 330 brought us to DUB.

Having reached that point where it is no longer easy for us to walk long distances, we had asked for assisted transport. A couple of professional drivers whisked us through the crowds to baggage claim, where we waited, and waited, and waited.

After about 30 min, we had our bags, were in a cab and off to Dublin.

A quick ride and we were at the Arlington Hotel, where they very pleasantly and efficiently, took our bags, told us that our room would be ready at 3:00, gave us maps and whisked us out the door.

The hotel is conveniently located close to the O'Connell Bridge. A walk around the corner and up the street brought us to the General Post Office - an imposing building that was the site of the Easter Uprising of 1916. (https://www.gpowitnesshistory.ie/ )

After a pleasant lunch at the cafe (Soup and sandwich €6.5, coffee €2, and a water €2) we bought a stamp at the reconstructed post office (https://*******.com/y7qfww9q ) and returned to the hotel where we people watched for a while until we were given the keys to our room.

548295938_IMG_0182s.jpg.98d848bd0cc4fcbe37b99761dccfa26b.jpg

I'm not touching that "Pan-fried Cod"! Never heard of the "door sign" preparation or service on the way to the Ladies' Room.

(It appears your "Terrine" photo is the Cod instead, there is no photo of the Terrine, and then the photo on the way to the Ladies' Room is linked to the Cod instead.)

With a handle like "IRA," I would avoid ordering a "Black and Tan" at the local Guinness Pub...

Ira, currently starting my planning for shore excursions for the Nautica June 2019 around Ireland cruise. Did you have any difficulty anchoring for any of the five ports where required? a couple of years back, we had to leave Waterford early due to forecasted winds for the afternoon, but the other anchor ports - Bantry, Galway, Londonderry - look more protected than the Waterford anchorage.