Hairdyers on Seabourn Odyssey?

SophieJ17

I have very long hair so the "quality" of hotel hairdryers is a subject near and dear to my heart. I have good news and a little bad news. First the good news- they are not the type that requires you to hold your finger on the on button to keep it going thus making it impossible to hold a styling brush and a section of hair at the same time.The bad news is they are prone to overheating. On more than one occasion on this last cruise the dryer overheated and quit when my hair was only half dry. DH took the offending appliance out on the balcony and swung it by the cord for a couple of minutes to cool it off then I was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd love to take my own dryer, but my suitcase is quite large enough.

My hair is shoulder length and fine. I style it (as opposed to a quick dry off) everyday. The hairdryers are heat based and after a week or so I can almost crack the length in half with the combined effects drying and hairspray. As a consequence I also take my own shampoo. The Molton Brown is too drying - almost like dishwashing liquid - so goodbye colour. Styling products don't help much either. We usually take long cruises, so the quality of the dryers is a real bug bear for me. It should be time they invested in ionic/ceramic combos, rather than portable heaters.

If you are on for any length of time, take a good conditioner/hair masque/nourishing oil.

• 10 months later...

hello all,

i know this thread was 2017- but wondering if recently 2018- anyone had any update on changes or replacements in hairdryers ? as would love to leave mine at home if there is one that works - but overheating and shutting off as described above - doesn't work with trying to get out quickly and enjoy dinner etc. in the evening.

just wondering if the same problems as above still with dryers shutting off?

also are their own dryers plug in or wired in? as in you do not need to use a plug plugging them in? as sometimes then i bring my own and use both dryers at same time to get a super fast dry (but sometimes limited plug space stops this or if they are wired into wall far from other plugs).

thanks

bob

Thanks All,

If room might try and squeeze in my babyliss travel - with is a super travel hairdryer for anyone looking- 2000-and then amuse my partner by using one in each hand and swinging my head and hair in-between - he thinks that is hilarious :)

but it does dry everything super fast ....

So we’re allowed to bring our own appliances now? Yes, I’m out of date.

I don't know if it's still the case, but Seabourn used to state in their "fine print" that we were not allowed to take our own electrical appliances, including power-boards/strips, however with the advent of mobile phones and computers (low wattage charging) the ban on power-boards is not enforced.

The Seabourn hairdryers are a fairly low wattage unit and that is why they are so slow.

I think that if you use your own high wattage hair dryer/s you might trip the circuit breaker:o

Before the last SB Cruise I went and bought an expensive power board with surge protection but when I read on SB website that power boards with added electronics were not permitted as they muck with the power system on the ship I left it at home. So what SKP says would be correct.

Power boards without surge protector are okay. It is the ones with surge protection that are banned from use as far as I am aware. I take on my hair straighteners and know of others who use hot curlers. Have never had a problem and leave them out without staff asking me not to use it.

Julie

Thanks All.

I think it would be fairly odd for a hairdryer to trip the circuit breaker- as that has never happened to me anywhere. If SB had that problem - I would be thinking it's SB faulty/ bad wiring- which would be disturbing on a ship.

thanks Julie - agree with you on straighteners /dryers - all ships and hotels accept that people use their own now- as well as charging iPhone/iPad - other devices. I think some cruise lines have yet to really update all their info - but the reality is how would it be unsafe in a cabin when they use them in the spa.

seems to fall on side of bringing your own dryers etc.- in case you get a dodgy over heating type or have to wait days to replace.