Laundry facilities

1Stormy

is there a charge for self laundry on the riviera, including soap.

The washers and dryers require tokens to operate, which cost SAD2 each. One token buys one wash or one drying cycle.

Token dispensers may be found in laundries, taking SA currency, or may be purchased from Reception or the various lounges.

The washers and dryers require tokens to operate, which cost SAD2 each. One token buys one wash or one drying cycle.

Token dispensers may be found in laundries, taking SA currency, or may be purchased from Reception or the various lounges.

Greetings from South Beach. What is SA currency?

• 1 month later...

Thinking of booking our first Oceania cruise...

Are there self serve laundries on all the ships?

This would be a real plus for a longer cruise such as the one we are considering. It's one thing I love about the older HAL ships and came in really handy for 48 and 35 day cruises.

Yes, there are but there are more of them on the two bigger ships (Marina and Riviera). There are laundry rooms on all the passenger decks except for Deck 12, where there aren't so many cabins.

The "R" ships -- Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and Sirena -- only have one, on Deck 7.

Soap is supplied but you need to buy tokens (either in the laundry room with U.S. currency or Reception).

The laundry rooms also have ironing boards and irons for your use.

Mura

States of America. Most of the passengers aboard tend to be Americans.

There were some awkward dinner conversations with Trump supporters. Generally there's a few code words used to indicate which way someone looks at things. "Clown". for example, is a good one.

A brief comment on the laundry (with a couple of images) here.

Sore loser is a good one.

• Like 1

Yes, there are but there are more of them on the two bigger ships (Marina and Riviera). There are laundry rooms on all the passenger decks except for Deck 12, where there aren't so many cabins.

The "R" ships -- Regatta, Insignia, Nautica and Sirena -- only have one, on Deck 7.

Soap is supplied but you need to buy tokens (either in the laundry room with U.S. currency or Reception).

The laundry rooms also have ironing boards and irons for your use.

Mura

Thanks so much. It's the Nautica we're considering.

Thanks so much. It's the Nautica we're considering.

The facilities are excellent, however the competition for them is similar to American Idol.. or getting a 100% Harvard scholarship. They are not open 24 hours I think 6 to 10 only.

If your on a port intensive cruise, it might be worth your consideration to just send out your laundry and have more time to enjoy the ship/cruise,and not fighting to get to a dryer or washer. You can always get more $, however, you can not get more time

• 1 year later...
On 6/25/2018 at 9:34 AM, Mura said:

Old'ish thread.

Was I dreaming that the laundry is now free?  I see soap is provided.  I guess I should pop a couple dryer sheets in.  From what I've read here it sounds like the free bags of laundry that we get might best be restricted to things like underwear as it all comes back shoved into a bag.  So I might do some of my "perma-press" things.  Any comments.  Thanks as always. Cath

22 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

It's now free. I think they switched around march

Yeah, I thought I had read it was free but couldn't find the info.  Not that it matters.  But thanks to both of you.

If you are in concierge level you get three bags of laundry free . It comes back folded. I save ours 'till nearer the end of the cruise so that I can put neatly folded clean clothes directly into the suitcase.

Underwear is washed nightly and hung to dry in the bathroom.

best regards

Josie

• Thanks 1

I wasn't on your cruise but I've been on all of O's "R" ships and found that the choice of time of day was key to getting a machine without having to wait.  Usually I would go in at cocktail hour since we tend to eat dinner later.  On port days if you stay on BOARD is a good time.  Sea days are definitely NOT a good time!

Maybe your cruise was unusual or you were just unlucky.

Of course, it's much easier on the "O" ships because even though you're talking 1250 passengers vs. 684, there are more laundry rooms whereas the "R" ships only have one.

Mura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Couple of questions.

I'm guessing they don't have dryer sheets?  Easy to pack a couple.  Also is there by chance a spray bottle for water.  Again, not hard to bring.  I understand at Concierge level we can get a few things pressed but only at the start.  TIA.

Yes - bring you own dryer sheets.  No, I don't remember a spray bottle.

I know Mura has had good luck with the laundry, but I was unhappy with how our clothes came back.  No biggie, as I found the pax laundry room very nice, and the machines were gentle on the clothes.  Didn't mind doing our laundry at all.  They even have laundry baskets to use.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kate-AHF said:

Yes - bring you own dryer sheets.  No, I don't remember a spray bottle.

I know Mura has had good luck with the laundry, but I was unhappy with how our clothes came back.  No biggie, as I found the pax laundry room very nice, and the machines were gentle on the clothes.  Didn't mind doing our laundry at all.  They even have laundry baskets to use.

Yeah, I've read at least something that wasn't great.  I'll use it for 'undies.' 🙂  But other things I'll do myself.  I'm a GREAT iron-er!  I thank my late mother for that 🙂 

Yes, I've had good luck with the do-it-yourself laundry as well as the "send out 3 bags during your cruise".  Ours came back neatly folded (with the latter) and we had no complaints.  But I'm not denying other complaints that their laundry was just stuffed in the bag willy nilly.  Whenever we've used the "free" service we've been in an OC ... so perhaps they are more careful with laundry being returned to the higher suites?  I have no idea, but that is certainly possible.

Before they initiated this "3 bag" policy we always did our own laundry.  Even with that, there are certain items that I prefer to do myself, free or not. 

I also do not remember dryer sheets or spray bottles, but you can certainly iron your clothing.  Even *I* have done that ... and it's years since I ironed at home!

Mura

• Like 1

I have only sent out a couple of items to the laundry & they came back on hangers or folded & wrapped in tissue paper

The irons have the spray steam feature & I used one of the bottles of water  in the fridge to fill the iron on the O class ship  the R ships have a sink in the room  to use

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1