Corkage fee, wine by the glass, or bottle QM2

LB_NJ

Question about best way to do wine on QM2.

We are not big drinkers however we generally like to have one glass of wine at dinner.

If we buy wine at a liquor/wine store we would generally buy a $25 to $35 dollar bottle.

We are in Britannia class.

From a price, quality, and selection point of view are we better off: bringing wine and paying the corkage fee (and let them hold the bottle until the next evening), buy a bottle of wine at dinner (again letting them hold it until the next night), or buying wine by the glass?

Either buy a bottle or bring your own, but wouldn't dream of ordering 'wine by the glass' each evening. That would be such a palaver having to hand over the key card and sign a bill each evening.

If you usually pay around $35 for a bottle of wine in the US, then there are one or two wines onboard in the region of $45.

I would guess for an American resident that would sound reasonable , it's us Brits who 'occasionally' find the prices high due to our exchange rate.

Edited by Bell Boy

If you usually pay around $35 for a bottle of wine in the US, then there are one or two wines onboard in the region of $45.

The question is, are the $45 on-board wines comparable to the $35 US wine shop wines? I doubt it -- most likely they're $10 wines, if Cunard markups are anything like on-shore restaurant markups.

This topic is acutely important to us as we prepare for our very first QM2 crossing next Winter (Soton-NY). Our tentative plan is to bring aboard some high-quality medium-priced Berry Bros. & Rudd house-label clarets acquired in London (we think they're the best value going), and happily pay the $20 corkage. Any comments or suggestions on this plan would be most welcome.

My opinion is that a $40 (shore price) wine + $20 corkage can be superior to a bottle from the cellar priced at $100 a bottle.

On one of my first QM2 cruises I studied the wine list to determine the French varieties (e.g., Paulliac) that were priced out of my range onboard and I then studied the quality vs price at the local big wine shop.

Agreed. My research show a $10 bottle at retail = $40 bottle on ship. Even with $20 cork fee, we still come out ahead. We especially loved a really great bottle of Port after dinner.

Agreed. My research show a $10 bottle at retail = $40 bottle on ship. Even with $20 cork fee, we still come out ahead.

My research showed the same.

A $30 bottle plus the 15% service charge, so $35 was $8 on shore. A $40 including the service was $10, and a $45 was $12.

Adding on the $20 corkage meant it seemed sensible to take on board a decent bottle and not a cheap one.

I did find the wine waiter in Britannia a bit sniffy on the first night with a "you do know there is a corkage fee", but he had loosened up by the end of the cruise with me taking in a bottle every night and him seeing it wasn't cheap rubbish I was drinking.

"I did find the wine waiter in Britannia a bit sniffy on the first night with a "you do know there is a corkage fee", but he had loosened up by the end of the cruise with me taking in a bottle every night and him seeing it wasn't cheap rubbish I was drinking."

Well, the waiter may have a shock when I hand him a cheap bottle of plonk! It seems ok for Cunard to dish it out [see Pol Acker thread] It would be a tad hypocritical for him to look down his nose. I'm not a wine snob if I like it I drink it. :)

"I did find the wine waiter in Britannia a bit sniffy on the first night with a "you do know there is a corkage fee", but he had loosened up by the end of the cruise with me taking in a bottle every night and him seeing it wasn't cheap rubbish I was drinking."

Well, the waiter may have a shock when I hand him a cheap bottle of plonk! It seems ok for Cunard to dish it out [see Pol Acker thread] It would be a tad hypocritical for him to look down his nose. I'm not a wine snob if I like it I drink it. :)

I agree and they can look down their noses as much as they like but I’m not paying $45 a bottle.

I agree with the others. If you are trying to save some money, and especially if you have certain wines that you want to drink on board that you can buy before you board (or in port), buy the wines, take them on board, and pay the corkage. If we don't have a drink package or a lot of OBC, we will bring bottles on board, but not a lot since it's painful to carry a lot of bottles around.

Agreed. My research show a $10 bottle at retail = $40 bottle on ship. Even with $20 cork fee, we still come out ahead. We especially loved a really great bottle of Port after dinner.

I live near the embarkation point (NY) so driving there, and carrying a couple of extra bottles in the car is not a problem. Sounds like everyone agrees that you are better off bringing your own decent wine and paying the corkage fee.

I do have a question about port. Does Cunard consider it a wine or a spirit? Will they give me a hassle if I try to bring a small bottle (375ML) of port onboard in addition to 2 bottles of wine? I would like to have a small glass at night in the room.

Never a problem to bring anything on for in-room consumption, including spirits.

The US booking terms have the standard two-bottle limit for wine but it's not enforced (and the UK booking terms don't state a limit).

For a 12 night cruise I might bring about 8 bottles of red wine, two of champagne plus spirits for the room.

We always bring our own wine and drink it in the stateroom, but on our last cruise in January I celebrated my birthday so took a bottle of sparkling wine down to the MDR in the morning. When we arrived for dinner it was waiting in the ice bucket (lovely and chilled) and we shared it with the other couple on the table. We then waited for the sommelier to come and ask us to sign for the corkage, but we are still waiting.....:D:D

I wouldn't let this be dollar&cents driven decision. Based on the information you have given, I would recommend bringing on board four bottles (assuming you are on a 7-night voyage) of your most favorite wines, even better if they also have a sentimental component. Bring two to the main dining room and pay the corkage fee. Keep the other two bottles in your stateroom. We always enjoyed having a glass of wine while dressing for the evening. If you decide another glass of wine or drink is needed later in the evening or during a lunch, just order a glass of something you like. I promise you that when you think about your first voyage on the QM2 years from now you won't wishing you had saved $5 on a few glasses of wine.

Have a GREAT journey.

Harold

• 4 weeks later...

Further, the limit only appears in the US booking terms from what I understand. They don't have separate screening for US and non US passengers.

In the UK FAQ there is a statement that they enforce any alcohol limits on an exception basis, and not across the board.

In practice, carry on wine and liquor as you please, upon embarkation and in ports of call.

It is not enforced at all. I took 3 bottles of wine on only this last week. Plus a bottle of gin ;)

At which port did you board? Is it the same policy everywhere?

Were your bottles in checked luggage or carry-on ... and does that make any difference?

I will be joining QM2 in Brooklyn this August. Should I just bring a soft-sided cooler with some beer and wine and soft drinks?

PJ

At which port did you board? Is it the same policy everywhere?

Were your bottles in checked luggage or carry-on ... and does that make any difference?

I will be joining QM2 in Brooklyn this August. Should I just bring a soft-sided cooler with some beer and wine and soft drinks?

PJ

This was in New York in Brooklyn. Last week 10th June TA. I carried all my alcohol in my hand luggage A small pull along case type bag. I also had 3 bottles of tonic in there. I put it through the scanner so they could see exactly what was in the bag. I also emptied out the fridge in our room stacked up the contents to one side and re filled the fridge with my stash.

It's the same policy everywhere.

Just carry them on - less chance of breakage, no need to be coy.

When I put my wheeled carrier of wine & liquor (6 or 7 bottles of wine, a couple of bottles of champagne, some gin) through the scanner in Brooklyn one December someone in the security staff said "We know where the party will be!"