Tunis Cancelled

Heidi13

Just received an email today that they have cancelled the call at Tunis on our upcoming 2020 World Cruise. I never actually thought we would go to Tunis, but expected it to be cancelled shortly before the start of the cruise.

Bonus - we get an overnight in Malta. Very pleasantly surprised with Viking marine operations and customer service in taking this early and proactive action.

In the early 2000’s we had two lovely holidays in Tunisia but wouldn’t dream of going anywhere near that part of the world now. I feel sorry for the ordinary working people as many of them relied on tourism for their living and were nice friendly people.

Malta is lovely though. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The sail in to Valletta harbour is gorgeous. All those ancient buildings.

Really looking forward to Malta, as I joined the old Uganda in Malta a couple of times back in the 70's. Have done departures from Malta, but never an arrival, so looking forward to that.

Viking added an overnight in Malta and is was great. Algeria was OK but in all reality would have preferred an overnight or longer stay at many of the other ports.

Tunisia was cancelled on the Inaugural World Cruise as well. Frankly I was expecting Algeria to be cancelled too but we did stop there, with many restrictions.

Likewise, I also expect Algeria will be cancelled. Gibraltar would be an excellent alternative.

Likewise, I also expect Algeria will be cancelled. Gibraltar would be an excellent alternative.

I would have loved that choice. As it was, we did a "drive by" of Gibraltar........At night.:eek:

Only if they cancel now rather than waiting because to call at Gibraltar would meaning moving Murcia and Malaga up a day--and that might be hard to do on short notice. (If it is a last minute cancellation, I would expect Palma de Mallorca or Valencia --places with enough infrastruction to accommodate tour and guides for 900 pax on short notice--and that are between Cagliari and Murcia).

But, Algeria and Tunisia are two very different countries and two very different situations and Viking has been calling at Algiers more consistently than at Tunis (which has been removed from other itineraries as well), so who knows what will happen other than we know that past experience has shown that Viking will pull its ships from any port where they do not feel that their passengers and crew will be safe.

Only if they cancel now rather than waiting because to call at Gibraltar would meaning moving Murcia and Malaga up a day--and that might be hard to do on short notice. (If it is a last minute cancellation, I would expect Palma de Mallorca or Valencia --places with enough infrastruction to accommodate tour and guides for 900 pax on short notice--and that are between Cagliari and Murcia).

But, Algeria and Tunisia are two very different countries and two very different situations and Viking has been calling at Algiers more consistently than at Tunis (which has been removed from other itineraries as well), so who knows what will happen other than we know that past experience has shown that Viking will pull its ships from any port where they do not feel that their passengers and crew will be safe.

If Algiers is cancelled, I agree your suggestions are the most probable alternatives. But, having sailed past Gibraltar way too many times and only been in once, it would be a great last week of the cruise.

Unlikely to happen, as realistically I figure Palma would be the alternative.

Just received an email today that they have cancelled the call at Tunis on our upcoming 2020 World Cruise. I never actually thought we would go to Tunis, but expected it to be cancelled shortly before the start of the cruise.

Bonus - we get an overnight in Malta. Very pleasantly surprised with Viking marine operations and customer service in taking this early and proactive action.

We were in Tunisia with Viking in 2017 and had a really good day there thanks to an enthusiastic and intelligent guide. But was there anything in Tunisia that was extraordinarily unique? No. We saw great ruins, yes, but we've seen similar in Greece and Italy. We saw a cute village, but again, the Mediterranean is awash in cute villages. We saw Carthage, which has lost its magnificence centuries ago. It would have been a huge disappointment had it not been for our guide's skillful storytelling. So in essence, we had a fantastic visit there.. as fantastic as many others we've had in Mediterranean countries, no more no less. You will be just as happy in lovely Malta. Good port substitute on Viking's part.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the info, as Tunis is one of the ports I have not previously visited.

I've been in Valletta a couple of times, one of which included a 2 week dry-docking. Certainly not disappointed in missing Tunis, as an overnight in Malta is an excellent substitute. Looking forward to seeing the changes, as it is over 40 years since my previous visit.

Tunis was canceled on "Southern Med Discovery" cruise in December as well. We are going to Naples instead - disappointing, but at least they're able to substitute something rather than just do a day at sea - and I've never been to Naples.

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that Algiers doesn't get canceled.

Be awake for the sail-in into Valletta - I agree it's amazing, especially if the sun is shining. Have your camera ready.

Edited by roothy123

Be awake for the sail-in into Valletta - I agree it's amazing, especially if the sun is shining. Have your camera ready.

Most definitely, I'll be up for arrival, with camera at the ready. Did one departure from Valletta, but never an arrival.

When we visited Gibraltar, I loved the creatures we saw when we took a taxi ride up the mountain. (See http://www.pbase.com/roothy123/image/157250425). However, some people may not WANT to get so close to those wild creatures! I also liked walking across the airport runway, and taking a bus to see the pretty lighthouse at the end of the peninsula. It was also kind of nice to be in an English-speaking area, too! But I didn't spend much time at all in the town, so I can understand the comment that Gibraltar is much like any other non-descript English town.

Tunisia was cancelled on the Inaugural World Cruise as well. Frankly I was expecting Algeria to be cancelled too but we did stop there, with many restrictions.

Both Tunisia and Algeria were cancelled on our Viking cruise last December. I wonder why they continue to include these ports in their itineraries. It would be interesting to know how many times they've advertised these ports then cancelled them.

On the plus side, I love Malta and you will be so close to Valletta town (a short walk) which is beautiful. Be sure to visit St John's Co-Cathedral.

Tunis was canceled on "Southern Med Discovery" cruise in December as well. We are going to Naples instead - disappointing, but at least they're able to substitute something rather than just do a day at sea - and I've never been to Naples.

I am hoping, hoping, hoping that Algiers doesn't get canceled.

We did your cruise last December, both Algiers and Tunis were cancelled. We got Naples and Palma, Majorca instead.

We did your cruise last December, both Algiers and Tunis were cancelled. We got Naples and Palma, Majorca instead.

So I guess we're now going on a typical Mediterranean cruise, including some repeats for us, that costs a lot of money. I wish I had done more research BEFORE we booked. I know itineraries change sometimes, but this sounds like deliberate bait and switch.

So I guess we're now going on a typical Mediterranean cruise, including some repeats for us, that costs a lot of money. I wish I had done more research BEFORE we booked. I know itineraries change sometimes, but this sounds like deliberate bait and switch.

The Wordl cruise did stop in Algiers, Spring 2018. So do not give up hope that this port will be cancelled on your upcoming cruise.

Exactly what I thought. I was disappointed because I thought Algiers and Tunis would be a bit more interesting than your typical med cruise. I'm in the UK so I've done a lot of Europe already. As for Palma, been there before and it was Christmas so nothing open. Naples was nice, the ship docks right in the city so it was very easy to walk to, just one road to cross.

I was looking forward to northern Africa as it would be open as usual over Christmas. They told us that the change was because of tension in the country due to things that had happened in the USA. I assume these things are still happening, the warnings are still on the government website so why keep putting them on the itinerary?

We even had to take out more expensive travel insurance as it wouldn't have been covered with our normal European cover, we had to get worldwide cover, so money down the drain there too. Having had a moan about that can't fault Viking really. Lovely ship, lovely people, sad to disembark.

It doesn't even meet the definition of bait and switch so let's move on from that argument. I get that folks are disappointed but, when you travel to a politically volatile part of the world, you have to be ready to accept last minute changes--and this applied not just to Tunis and Algiers but also to Malaysia, Myanmar, China and a good number of other places where Viking is hoping to visit.

I personally believe that Viking has truly wanted to take its ships and passengers to Tunis and that is why it has persisted in trying to get them there--unlike Turkey, where they completely pulled out of the country before the 2016 summer cruises and have not even tried to go back. Viking has finally found its tipping point on Tunis and Tunis is no longer a port of call on any of the itineraries and it is so reflected on the website.

We chose an itinerary with Tunis knowing that it was entirely possible that we would not get there but also knowing that if there was any concern for our safety, Viking would not call there. We were on one of the December, 2017 cruises that did not call on Tunis and the change was made just weeks before we sailed. That is exactly the decision I was depending on Viking to make, to keep me safe, to take no chances.

I am shaking my head at the moaning and groaning I'm still seeing over the loss of Tunis and Algiers. They're Mediterranean countries!! Interesting? Yes of course. Loaded with history? Yes of course. But are they really that much different than the Mediterranean countries that straddle the European side of the Sea? Uh, no, they're not. At least not as different as much as the teeth gnashing I see on this forum would warrant. I'm glad we saw these two countries when we were on our cruise but frankly, I value Viking's concern for my safety more and if they feel, based on their information, that a port cancellation is necessary, I'm not going to go all sour grapes about it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

It doesn't even meet the definition of bait and switch so let's move on from that argument. I get that folks are disappointed but, when you travel to a politically volatile part of the world, you have to be ready to accept last minute changes--and this applied not just to Tunis and Algiers but also to Malaysia, Myanmar, China and a good number of other places where Viking is hoping to visit.

I personally believe that Viking has truly wanted to take its ships and passengers to Tunis and that is why it has persisted in trying to get them there--unlike Turkey, where they completely pulled out of the country before the 2016 summer cruises and have not even tried to go back. Viking has finally found its tipping point on Tunis and Tunis is no longer a port of call on any of the itineraries and it is so reflected on the website.

We chose an itinerary with Tunis knowing that it was entirely possible that we would not get there but also knowing that if there was any concern for our safety, Viking would not call there. We were on one of the December, 2017 cruises that did not call on Tunis and the change was made just weeks before we sailed. That is exactly the decision I was depending on Viking to make, to keep me safe, to take no chances.

Agree wholeheartedly, no way this is bait & switch. Planning itineraries takes many months before they are published, so while the 2020 WC was posted a couple of months ago, the actual planning probably started last year. While Tunis is a port I have not previously visited, I have no concerns with Viking cancelling the port.

It was cancelled for valid safety concerns. I am also extremely happy with the alternative of an overnight in Malta.