First Timer Oceania

DTT

We decided to move from Celebrity and try Oceania. We going to book on the April 2, 2019 Trans Atlantic cruise. Just wondering about some advice whether it is worth going the extra mile for concierge class or whether the balcony does the trick. What are the advantages of concierge class and are they worth the extra money?

Thanks. Any advice would be helpful.

We decided to move from Celebrity and try Oceania. We going to book on the April 2, 2019 Trans Atlantic cruise. Just wondering about some advice whether it is worth going the extra mile for concierge class or whether the balcony does the trick. What are the advantages of concierge class and are they worth the extra money?

Thanks. Any advice would be helpful.

I'll just say this, when O recently introduced their 3 free bags of laundry perk to go along with the other listed A cabin perks, that's all it took for us to book a concierge cabin from now on. Better cabin locations is also a plus along with access to the concierge lounge, but the laundry perk did the trick for us.

You also get to book your special dining reservations 15 days earlier than if you had booked a regular verenda, which comes in handy especially if you want to book a table for 2 on a sea day.

I would look at the perks for concierge & if they tick your boxes go for it

The cabins are the same size as the B cabins

We use the laundry room so the bag deal is of no interest

the 4 free pressing take it or leave it

bottle of bubbly OK if you share with friends or you can drink the whole bottle

Early reservations booking ..OK

Use of Spa deck in the nice weather.. good

order lunch or dinner from the GDR menu ..OK if you like to eat in

Concierge lounge ..easier to go to Barristas for a snack if we need one

Personal choice

One note about the concierge complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. If you would rather have a bottle of red or white wine instead, like we do and this is also the case on X, you just need to mention it to your steward and they will swap it out for you.

One note about the concierge complimentary bottle of sparkling wine. If you would rather have a bottle of red or white wine instead, like we do and this is also the case on X, you just need to mention it to your steward and they will swap it out for you.

Oceania stopped the exchange of sparkley to wine 2 years ago.

The difference may be that you used to be able to take the bottle to the dining room and ask for a swap. Suddenly we couldn't.

But if the room steward (or butler if you have one) will do it for you, so much the better. It never occurred to us to ask. So we take the bubbly to the dining room and share it with our dinner mates.

Either way will work for us ...

Mura

It does depend on your room category ... the higher up your accommodations, the better the bubbly.

Mura

Do you get a different brand of Champagne in PH & Suites ?

my point is it is still Champagne in Concierge unless it has changed since Dec last year

my point is it is still Champagne in Concierge unless it has changed since Dec last year

To be honest I don't like either champagne or sparkling wine, so I was quite happy when the steward exchanged our "bubbly" for a bottle of tasty red wine on the first leg and then a bottle of white wine on the second leg. In fact since my DW doesn't drink wine, I was able to make each bottle last 3 days by enjoying a nice glass of wine on the balcony before heading to dinner.

But, at least the OP as well as others reading this thread now know they have an option.

They do! We were just in an OC on Riviera for a B2B that totalled 15 days. We had different champagne for the two legs. Both were superior to what we've had in a PH. One of them was a Perrier Jouet.

But these can change from cruise to cruise, I suppose depending on what they have on hand.

Mura

This thread has digressed to a discussion of champagne. To answer your original question, I don’t think it’s worth it. Last time we had an extended balcony in B3. We spent so little time on the balcony that it made no difference. We always preferred the sheltered spots on deck.

I would look at the perks for concierge & if they tick your boxes go for it

The cabins are the same size as the B cabins

We use the laundry room so the bag deal is of no interest

the 4 free pressing take it or leave it

bottle of bubbly OK if you share with friends or you can drink the whole bottle

Early reservations booking ..OK

Use of Spa deck in the nice weather.. good

order lunch or dinner from the GDR menu ..OK if you like to eat in

Concierge lounge ..easier to go to Barristas for a snack if we need one

Personal choice

Plus the three free bags of laundry!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Marina and Riviera, there are a fair number of B3 cabins with extended balconies (2x as deep as what's on any A Concierge cabin) at a significantly less expensive price.

Agreed. I would book one of the B3 cabins with extended balcony even if Concierge was offered at the same price.

We are currently aboard Insignia in Concierge and this is the Champagne we received.

yes we have had the same brand in 2016 also

it is NOT sparkling wine as some people suggest

yes we have had the same brand in 2016 also

it is NOT sparkling wine as some people suggest

Sounds like some folks think "sparkling wine" is somehow "less" than Champagne. While much of what is complimentary on Oceania may be Champagne (I.e., region and method necessary to use the name), there are MANY far superior Method Champenoise "bubblies" originating in Northern California (e.g., Roederer, Scharffenberger, Schramsberg, Navarro, .......).

Another difference....In room breakfast service includes hot items in Concierge, whereas in regular cabins it is limited to cereals and pastries.

....and fruit. Basically, it's continental breakfast, which is about all that will fit (and be consumed comfortably) using the small round table in A or B cabins on the R ships.

Laundry "specials" are $25 for 20(?) items. So, roughly, figure under $100 for most cruises under 18 days.

As aforementioned, it's an individual choice. IMO, the cost difference from B to A (especially given the existence of extended balcony B3 on the bigger "O" ships) is just not worth the few, relatively insignificant perks.

....and fruit. Basically, it's continental breakfast, which is about all that will fit (and be consumed comfortably) using the small round table in A or B cabins on the R ships.

Laundry "specials" are $25 for 20(?) items. So, roughly, figure under $100 for most cruises under 18 days.

Regarding those $25 laundry specials, how often do they occur on a cruise and what is the minimum length of the cruise to see the special?

As we DO NOT do laundry when we are on a cruise, the laundry perk along with that special looks great to us.

We’re getting ready to do 2 grand voyages and an 18 day b2b in the very near future and plan on putting a bag on laundry in every 3 days which means knowing when those specials occur would be good info to have if you know.

Regarding those $25 laundry specials, how often do they occur on a cruise and what is the minimum length of the cruise to see the special?

As we DO NOT do laundry when we are on a cruise, the laundry perk along with that special looks great to us.

We’re getting ready to do 2 grand voyages and an 18 day b2b in the very near future and plan on putting a bag on laundry in every 3 days which means knowing when those specials occur would be good info to have if you know.

The special is usually once every 14 days +\- and runs for 3 days availability to use. Pickup in the AM and usually back in the PM or next AM.

Note too that there are self-serve laundries onboard (irons too). Wash=$2 and Dry=$2 (tokens available at Guest Services.