A quick review of the Riveria

stanc3

We were first timers on Oceania and were thrilled with the ship, the service and the food. Riviera is a beautiful ship filled with art work and spacious public areas. Our stateroom (B2) had lots of storage and a very functional bathroom complete with a bathtub and separate shower stall. There was a laundry room with 3 washers and dryers down the hall. The soap was free and each machine was one token ($2.00).

We ate in each specialty restaurant once and in the Terrace Cafe the rest of the time. The Terrace is a classy buffet with tablecloths. Although it is a buffet, you walk along the line and say what you want. They grill lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, lamb chops etc. in a matter of minutes. No need to dress up. They call it country club casual, but anything goes except jeans and shorts at dinner. The specialty restaurants are wonderful and a real treat.

Oceania is very port intensive and provided shuttles at most of the ports. We did a Mediterranean cruise and the ship sailed at night and stayed in port during the day. There were often Hop on Hop off buses available at the shuttle stops or by the boat.

The entertainment at 9:30 every night was fine. We had a very funny comedian and a couple of singers. The shows were very energetic and lots of fun. We also enjoyed the free internet throughout the ship. There was never a problem logging on. Just remember that only one device can be used at a time. One last thought. We bought 2 bottles of wine before the cruise and had no problem bringing them onboard in our carry on. The mini bar in our room was stocked daily with soda and water at no charge and of course our wine.

We were first timers on Oceania and were thrilled with the ship, the service and the food. Riviera is a beautiful ship filled with art work and spacious public areas. Our stateroom (B2) had lots of storage and a very functional bathroom complete with a bathtub and separate shower stall. There was a laundry room with 3 washers and dryers down the hall. The soap was free and each machine was one token ($2.00).

We ate in each specialty restaurant once and in the Terrace Cafe the rest of the time. The Terrace is a classy buffet with tablecloths. Although it is a buffet, you walk along the line and say what you want. They grill lobster tails, jumbo shrimp, lamb chops etc. in a matter of minutes. No need to dress up. They call it country club casual, but anything goes except jeans and shorts at dinner. The specialty restaurants are wonderful and a real treat.

Oceania is very port intensive and provided shuttles at most of the ports. We did a Mediterranean cruise and the ship sailed at night and stayed in port during the day. There were often Hop on Hop off buses available at the shuttle stops or by the boat.

The entertainment at 9:30 every night was fine. We had a very funny comedian and a couple of singers. The shows were very energetic and lots of fun. We also enjoyed the free internet throughout the ship. There was never a problem logging on. Just remember that only one device can be used at a time. One last thought. We bought 2 bottles of wine before the cruise and had no problem bringing them onboard in our carry on. The mini bar in our room was stocked daily with soda and water at no charge and of course our wine.

Glad you enjoyed yourself. For future reference (and despite the published 3 bottle limit), you 53106cf47e9b0513e6aa13bff47f7e32.jpgcan bring as much wine and spirits onboard for "no charge" in-cabin consumption as you so desire. Take wine to a meal = $25 corkage.

Thanks for taking the time in submitting your review, your thoughts are useful and timely to us. We are on the Riviera this fall for the first time on a 10 day cruise in the Med.

A good review of the Riviera ,it has been several years since we have been on that ship, it is good to hear the standards are still high. The food and service were exceptional I am glad the Terrace Cafe has not gone to 'self service' like other cruise lines so much more sanitary.

Our two Riviera cruises were different in terms of how people dress in Terrace Cafe. Shorts, jeans, overalls, etc. were permitted at dinner. Am very surprised to hear otherwise. Agree that the array of food in the Terrace Cafe is wonderful....... however, IOO (in our opinion) the food quality was just not there.

Agree that the Riviera is a beautiful ship with lovely upper suites. The main reason that we have not returned to Oceania is the extremely disappointing food in the Terrace Cafe (and not much better in the MDR). However, food in the specialty restaurants is wonderful!

In terms of alcohol, why shlep alcohol onboard that you have to drink in your stateroom (or pay a $25 corkage fee for wine that you purchased) at dinner? Isn't it much nicer to sit in a lounge and have cocktails with other passengers? Guess that I just don't get it!

........however, IOO (in our opinion) the food quality was just not there.

Is that as “in our Royal opinion”? Isn’t that how HRM The Queen would put it - “in our opinion......”? :D

In terms of alcohol, why shlep alcohol onboard that you have to drink in your stateroom (or pay a $25 corkage fee for wine that you purchased) at dinner? Isn't it much nicer to sit in a lounge and have cocktails with other passengers? Guess that I just don't get it!

People do that because they choose to do that - for whatever reasons of their own. They certainly could either buy a drinks package or get it as part of the O Life choice and enjoy “cocktails with other passengers”; or even pay for them as they go and probably come out ahead.

What I don’t get is why would I pay for alcohol that I won’t drink or pay for excursions that I will not be taking.

To each their own :)

Edited by Paulchili

In terms of alcohol, why shlep alcohol onboard that you have to drink in your stateroom (or pay a $25 corkage fee for wine that you purchased) at dinner? .........Guess that I just don't get it!

Looks like you actually don't get it. At a minimum, I can choose to bring onboard $75-$100 (retail) bottles of exceptionally excellent estate wine researched/purchased ashore and pay a $25 corkage at dinner for a wine that, even if they had it (which they won't), would cost $300-$400 on the ship.

Our two Riviera cruises were different in terms of how people dress in Terrace Cafe. Shorts, jeans, overalls, etc. were permitted at dinner. Am very surprised to hear otherwise. Agree that the array of food in the Terrace Cafe is wonderful....... however, IOO (in our opinion) the food quality was just not there.

Agree that the Riviera is a beautiful ship with lovely upper suites. The main reason that we have not returned to Oceania is the extremely disappointing food in the Terrace Cafe (and not much better in the MDR). However, food in the specialty restaurants is wonderful!

Overalls? As in "work" or "farmer" overalls? Worn by men or women or both? Somehow I can't picture it on the typical Oceania passenger.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess to enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony? Or perhaps to counteract the poor wine choices offered by O at dinner

Shorts, jeans and t-shirts were very common in the Terrace Cafe in the evenings. They were also quite common in the MDR for breakfast and lunch ... never allowed for dinner.

We didn't see jeans or shorts at night except on one person. We're booked again next Jan.

We didn't see jeans or shorts at night except on one person. We're booked again next Jan.

In general, itineraries in warmer areas will be more casual.

Something about a jacket, even if it is unstructured, looks "dressed up".

Overalls? As in "work" or "farmer" overalls? Worn by men or women or both? Somehow I can't picture it on the typical Oceania passenger.

she likes to be dramatic

next it will be she saw someone in the Executive lounge in a robe brushing their teeth :rolleyes:

I am wondering if she means ‘jumpsuits’ which are very fashionable at the moment, especially for evenings.

I am wondering if she means ‘jumpsuits’ which are very fashionable at the moment, especially for evenings.

if you have the time & inclination go read some of her posts on the Oceania forums

I just ignore her

if you have the time & inclination go read some of her posts on the Oceania forums

I just ignore her

On Regent, it’s worse. I use the ignore button now on CC, you can simply ‘not see’ updates from those that are purposely disruptive, or narcissistic. Unfortunately, that’s the only way to stop them from obtaining their pleasure (and self gratification). This side conversation is purposely making the conversation sideswipe, taking away from the original purpose. Thank you TS (OP), for a balanced review.

On Regent, it’s worse. I use the ignore button now on CC, you can simply ‘not see’ updates from those that are purposely disruptive, or narcissistic. Unfortunately, that’s the only way to stop them from obtaining their pleasure (and self gratification).

the ignore feature is great :halo:

Thank you for the nice review. I just got off of the Marina a few weeks ago and could have posted an almost identical review of the ship and food. And being in a balcony cabin I can say that the ship was nice at that level too :) Julia

Thank you so much for the lovely review. We will be sailing on the Riviera for the second time this November and can hardly wait to embark in a little more than 140 days (counting the days! ;) )

It is so good to read that service, food and the ship itself are still in such a good shape.

We both love scallops and had one of the best scallop dishes ever one evening in the Terrace Cafe, with a kind of cream of carrots. I still dream about it sometimes.

I hope you enjoyed your wine, either in the restaurants or on your balcony. We loved sitting on our balcony during sailaway and sipping our wine or a cocktail made from the spirits we brought on board. It was such a relaxed way to prepare for the rest of the evening.

Enjoy the memories of a lovely cruise and thank you for sharing them with us! (y)