What to Pack for Med Cruise in August?

Glendore

I have travelled with Seabourn during one of their first/maiden voyages (this is some time ago) and I was very happy - until it got sold when I didnt book again. I am now returning on the understanding that they are under upmarket management.

The formality in dress code appears to have special emphasis. I plan to pack my black tie and a light set of clothes ('elegant' trousers, matching linen jackets/blazers, casual 'elegant' shirts, some ties, etc). I am reluctant to also pack a suit and black shoes lest I will feel attending business meetings back ashore...

Any helpful pointers to help me please?

I plan to pack my black tie and a light set of clothes ('elegant' trousers, matching linen jackets/blazers, casual 'elegant' shirts, some ties, etc). I am reluctant to also pack a suit and black shoes lest I will feel attending business meetings back ashore...

Any helpful pointers to help me please?

Your choice of evening clothing sounds just about right if your cruise is less than 10 days or so. If the voyage is of longer duration, I would think a suit would be just the right extra bit of evening clothing to include.

Very many thanks for your information. The cruise is only a 7-day one, so it seems that I am packing the right things/amount.

Thanks for taking the time to be of assistance.

Glendore

This was one of the benefits for me when I switched to Seabourn from Cunard. Apart from the totally casual occasions - 1st and last nights and any barbeque dinner - there are only two dress codes - formal or elegant casual. For elegant casual I take 2 or 3 jackets or blazers which I can mix and match. No need to take a suit as well.

there are only two dress codes - formal or elegant casual.

Some of our friends sailed on Seabourn recently and said that formal dress code was no longer enforced and they have "black tie optional" evenings now. Why the drop in standards? Do hope this isn't indicative of a drop in standards in other areas.

R&R

We have received,from Seabourn,promotional material for their Christmas/New Year cruises in which reference is made to "gala black-tie(optional) dinners"

Personally,I like the occasional formal dinner,but find that too many within a 14 day period becomes an annoyance.The Captain's welcome,and the farewell,gala dinners I can understand.As for the others,for whose benefit are they?

R & R,

No drop in standards, that I can see. The description for "Black Tie Optional" is the same as it was for "Formal." Tux or dark suit for gentlemen, splendid gowns for women. Change in terminology? Yes. Change in standard? No.

The only change is that the Veranda Cafe is now open for dinner on "Formal" nights, with an Elegant Casual dress code--jacket, but no tie required. Either dress is OK in lounges after six pm.

bgood

Archived