Questions on Maximizing UBP

HowardK

Hello, given that I have a UBP promo, I am trying to figure out how to maximize it without getting sick or hungover.

I figure while awake on the ship, I could have a drink every 3 hours or so.

Now, are you able to have drinks while on the water slides?

Can you bring a drink into the muster drill?

It's probably a good idea to have a few drinks for breakfast as well.

Where should one get a drink 7am?

Going on excursions is fun, but then you give up hours or optimal drinking time. I am skipping Nassau and figure in the 12-7 time slot I could likely do 4 drinks as it's the last day of the cruise.

If you want to maximize the UBP like me and not get hangovers; bring packets of Pedialyte, mix it with water, and drink it before you go to bed or if you're starting to feel sloshed.

You get hangovers because you're dehydrated from the alcohol. Pedialyte and water provides a lot of electrolytes to keep you hydrated. I thought this was ridiculous at first, but I can say it's never failed me. My cousin is a pharmacist and taught me this when we were drinking together. I've passed this info on to other friends and we all live by it.

Also, take some ibuprofen if you get a headache. Don't take acetaminophen as it puts your liver under more stress than it currently would be going through (filtering the alcohol).

You can also order some electrolyte tablets from Amazon if time isn't an issue, it will have less sugars.

Less sugary drinks also will reduce hangovers.

You can't have drinks on the water slides.

You could probably get mimosas from some bars if they can make it in the morning.

Edited by huyzee

Hello, given that I have a UBP promo, I am trying to figure out how to maximize it without getting sick or hungover.

Going on excursions is fun, but then you give up hours or optimal drinking time. I am skipping Nassau and figure in the 12-7 time slot I could likely do 4 drinks as it's the last day of the cruise.

Experience from my most recent cruise is that I saw someone get a rum and coke at 8AM

They specifically exclude consuming food and beverages at muster drills.

I would think that people with drinks in their hands at the water slides would be deemed a safety risk.

You know that there is no food, beverage, or cell phones at muster.

I know they tell you this, but I have seen people with all 3 at the muster drill (haven't been on NCL yet so not sure how they handle it , the worst offenders were on our Celebrity cruise). Whenever I see them I think, I hope I'm not behind them trying to get on the lifeboat since they won't have a clue.

Edited by hansolosmom

No food or drink at the muster drill. Sobriety is optional.

In order to maximize the value you will need to drink a LOT more than one drink every three hours. You should be able to knock back 3 or 4 mojitos in an hour. If you choose something really vile like Coor's Light you should be able to pound 5 in an hour.

Any breakfast place will bring you a Mimosa or Bloody Mary.

Remember now---you cannot drink all day if you don't start in the morning.

When it comes to drinking and hangovers I find it is best to stay away from sugary drinks and drinks mixed with soda. Stick to straight liquor (scotch, rum, vodka tonic, gin and tonic, etc.) If you must have soda go for a whiskey and ginger ale. I also find that beer is terrible to drink. Beer is a killer for me now and I stay away from it (2 or 3 at the most when I'm drinking.)

If you want to try to get a lot of value out of the UBP you can drink Johnny Walker Blue for a $2 or $3 upcharge. That is great value.

Edited by calgaryhhr

If you want to maximize the UBP like me and not get hangovers; bring packets of Pedialyte, mix it with water, and drink it before you go to bed or if you're starting to feel sloshed.

You get hangovers because you're dehydrated from the alcohol. Pedialyte and water provides a lot of electrolytes to keep you hydrated. I thought this was ridiculous at first, but I can say it's never failed me. My cousin is a pharmacist and taught me this when we were drinking together. I've passed this info on to other friends and we all live by it.

Also, take some ibuprofen if you get a headache. Don't take acetaminophen as it puts your liver under more stress than it currently would be going through (filtering the alcohol).

You can also order some electrolyte tablets from Amazon if time isn't an issue, it will have less sugars.

thanks for the pedialyte tip - I had never head of it until I saw the commercial for the movie Single girls (or something like that) I was going to look into it, but now I don't need to since you've confirmed.

I'm working my drink times onto my Excel sheet lol. Excluding Tortola and St Thomas when I am off the ship.

i.e. First day could be like noon, 2pm, 3:30, 5:30, 9pm and 11

Howard, you are overthinking this. Find a bar stool, card on the counter, order, drink, rinse and repeat. Go with the flow/pour;).

2 hours between drinks?:eek: - you must drink in different company to me - about 15 minutes between rounds is par for us.:D

When it comes to drinking and hangovers I find it is best to stay away from sugary drinks and drinks mixed with soda. Stick to straight liquor (scotch, rum, vodka tonic, gin and tonic, etc.) If you must have soda go for a whiskey and ginger ale. I also find that beer is terrible to drink. Beer is a killer for me now and I stay away from it (2 or 3 at the most when I'm drinking.)

If you want to try to get a lot of value out of the UBP you can drink Johnny Walker Blue for a $2 or $3 upcharge. That is great value.

Mixing drink types is the worst for hangovers. Stick to either grape or grain. Avoid port at all costs (that will give you the mother and father of all hangovers - trust me:o).

Beer, G&T (both grain) are 'good' in that they are not quite so dehydrating but get into the bloodstream quicker - straight spirits will absorb into your bloodstream slower but will dehydrate you more.

I find that pacing myself is best - slow(ish) and steady wins the race:D.

One every 3hrs ROFL. lightweight

Start with Bloody Marys(bars open early) min 1 an hr, ramp it up in company.

eg dinner, signature cocktail, 3-4 glasses of wine, port(s) with the cheese course, finish of with a brandy 8 drinks over 2hr dinner easy.

Slow day, full port day think 10+ just a morning off the sauce think 15+, sea days 20+

Oh for sure.

But don't forget there's hidden cash value.

If you're only drinking once every three hours yourself, hang around outside the teen lounge and offer to feed them drinks if they flip you a few bucks.

Best case scenario, you make a few bucks.

Worst case, you get put off the ship.

But since most places NCL sails are awesome, you're still... winning!

One every 3hrs ROFL. lightweight

Start with Bloody Marys(bars open early) min 1 an hr, ramp it up in company.

eg dinner, signature cocktail, 3-4 glasses of wine, port(s) with the cheese course, finish of with a brandy 8 drinks over 2hr dinner easy.

Slow day, full port day think 10+ just a morning off the sauce think 15+, sea days 20+

bring own Bloody Mary mix, procure shot (or two) of Vodka from bar on way to cabin night before, drinking on balcony while wife is still getting ready before breakfast

And we wonder why the cost of the UBP keeps going up! :rolleyes:

V

Exactly.

I plan on having a drink just when I want one… Which would probably be about like what I would be drinking if I was paying per drink.

Just like somebody thinking it's their responsibility to eat every morsel of food in the buffet when people feel like they have to get every penny's worth out of the drinking it makes me a little sick and a little sad. But to each his own.