Library on the Constellation?

comcox

We are avid readers who will be on a two-week cruise on the Constellation in December with a number of sea days. We wanted to find out how well stocked the library is on the ship as we do not like using e-readers. I know a number of the U.S. cruise lines area beginning to downgrade their libraries--something I noticed on a Princess cruise last week--so I wanted to be sure Celebrity is not doing the same thing.

Can I ask meaning no disrespect- You are avid readers but you would take a chance on what has been left on the shelf in a cruise ship library? We were on Connie in June - the library was just a hodge-podge collection of old books.

If we look really long and hard, we can usually find something to read in the Connie Library...but it is not really up to date! We usually leave behind the paperbacks we have brought with us on a shelf designated for such "donations", and on occasion we have been lucky to find something we were interested in reading among others' "cast offs". Bring at least one really monstrous novel with you!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I would agree with the last few posters. if you are an avid reader I think you will be very disappointed with the library on the Connie unless it has vastly improved. Most of the books that were there when I sailed on her were older books, that looked like they came from a rummage sale or something similar. I also am an avid reader and usually bring a half dozen paperbacks with me just to be safe. I was certainly glad that I did that on the Connie, as there was nothing in the library that I would have chosen to read.

I usually leave the books I bring with me in the library when I finish them and I did on the Connie. When I would bring the next book I finished to the library all the other books I had left before were gone, so there may be some books left there by others but they go fast. I thought it was the poorest library I had ever seen on a cruise ship, and I have sailed on most of the mass market lines.

We were on Constellation last week. I found the library really disappointing, I didn't need to use it but there were very few books and some of what was there was in foreign language.

English is a foreign language for many cruisers so dont make rash statements

Seemed OK to me last year. I've seen much worse on other Celebrity ships and the books I read were in good condition.

And yes, there are many foreign language books. There would be something wrong if there weren't.

I am sure Sunshine 911 did not mean to be in any way rash or offensive when mentioning "foreign languages". The main language of communication on Celebrity ships does tend to be English! I can add that the selection of books in other languages on the Constellation tends to be quite interesting ( many of them donations from fellow travellers) and since members of our family speak French, German, Swedish, Spanish and Italian, we have often found those books to be an attractive alternative.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Spent 30 days on Constellation this spring and can't imagine virtually any reader, let alone an avid one, being satisfied with the selection of books. Definitely a hodge-podge and when you eliminate non-native language books, pretty limited.

Invest in a Kindle or other e-reader or download on a tablet. You'll be much happier.

Thanks for the heads up. Luckily we are flying business class so I expect that free second checked bag will be full of paperback books as we not only have 14 days on the ship but then 17 days land tour in India.