Guaranteed Balcony -When can I expect cabin assignment?,

Maplemoose

I have booked a BF balcony for a cruise that has final payment in 2 weeks. I was given a guarnty balcony so I know it will be BF or " better" but I will only know the cabin number sometime between final payment day and cruise day. Anybody familiar with this? Is there any pattern as to when they would notify me? Also, what is the rationale behind this? If BF is sold out why say I will get BF or better? Cancellations perhaps?

You will be assigned your cabin most likely a week or two or more before you set sail. It could be sooner that that like right after final payment. Once we found out when we arrived at the port what guarantee cabin got. The reason it says that you will get BF or better is that until final payment is made by a specific date for everyone they could still sell out the BF level. Also with the upgrade bidding process after final payment they may figure into their computer system that if someone pays extra for that level as an upgrade the cost to give you the next level up will be less for them on your part than that of what someone was willing to pay to get to the BF.

Since you are not even at final payment, I would not expect anything for quite some time. Sometimes folks get them right away. Sometimes if takes awhile.

With their upgrade program, they have no incentive to assign a room right now and are better off waiting, especially if the lower category is CURRENTLY sold out. Some of those may come open once they hit final payment date. Some will come open due to bid upgrades.

Keep in mind, they can wait until just before your cruise and even after you get to the port to assign your cabin. And can change it.

Thanks for the answers, Best way to sum it up I guess is, "it's complicated". With a difference of almost $600 I am glad that I rebooked and gave up my confirmed cabin as It wasnt what I wanted anyway. I will see how the dice will land!

Seems like a good deal. You could get your assignment tomorrow, at the pier on embarkation day, or anywhere in between. More than like it will be sometime between final payment and 30 days from sailing.

It does not mean BF is sold out - I think they make these GTY rooms to give them flexibility for the Upgrade Advantage program. I just booked one for May 2018 and BF is a GTY only.

I have booked a BF balcony for a cruise that has final payment in 2 weeks.

I was given a guaranty balcony so I know it will be BF or " better" but I will only know the cabin number sometime between final payment day and cruise day.

Anybody familiar with this? Is there any pattern as to when they would notify me?

Also, what is the rationale behind this? If BF is sold out why say I will get BF or better? Cancellations perhaps?

Thanks for the answers, Best way to sum it up I guess is, "it's complicated".

With a difference of almost $600 I am glad that I re-booked and gave up my confirmed cabin as It wasn't what I wanted anyway.

I will see how the dice will land!

I wish you the best.

Even though we have had GTY's before, I'll tell you, it's the luck of the draw.

Chances are you will get a BF that nobody else wants (I hope you get better).

Don't worry; you are on the ship.

I tend to prefer locations that others don't so I am hopeful! One thing I am not worried about but curious. If it is possible to get your cabin number only at check in, how could you drop off your luggage without a number for your tag?? Like I said, just curious!

I tend to prefer locations that others don't so I am hopeful! One thing I am not worried about but curious. If it is possible to get your cabin number only at check in, how could you drop off your luggage without a number for your tag?? Like I said, just curious!

This is extremely rare, so not something I would be at all concerned about. There is a manifest at the port and they would be able to look you up. But again, it’s so extremely rare I wouldn’t even worry about it.

Like I said, I was not worried, just curious. In any case, I just checked and my cabin has been assigned one day after the booking! I get to stay on deck 8 midship. 15 cabins from the exit but it seems just as good as my previous assignment! Presuming that doesn't change I consider that a win!

I booked in July for January sailing, sail away balcony for a great price.i looked at booking in September to confirm when payments due, excursions etc and saw that our cabin had been allocated. The cabin allocated looks good towards front,near to lifts etc but not so near that you would hear any noise so very pleased. Same cabins now are going for £500 pp more.