Help with Grandeur of the Sea's

We are X cruisers looking at Grandeur from Baltimore...esp any itin that stops at Charleston..either combined with Bermuda or with Space Center Has anyone done either? How are the Jr Suites , Diamond Club and Diamond perks? We would fly in ahead from ISP NY, stay over at Hilton
I'll add my two cents and agree with other posts. We have sailed several times on Grandeur including an itinerary that included Charleston and the Space Center. Grandeur for us is just the right size--a full service ship, but not too intimidating! Our cabin of choice is always Grand Suite, so we often hang out in the Concierge Lounge, but you get the same perks in the Diamond version if you are qualified (I assume you are)--buffet and complimentary drinks at happy hour and beyond, and a concierge person who can do lots of nice things for you. We'll be on the Grandeur Dec 21 for a 12 day'er out of Baltimore.

We are booked on her December 9 for our third December sailing on her. The crew are wonderful. Passengers very friendly.?Like the mega ships but also the size of the Grandeur and convenience of driving to the port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are booked on her December 9 for our third December sailing on her. The crew are wonderful. Passengers very friendly.?Like the mega ships but also the size of the Grandeur and convenience of driving to the port

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, the crew are wonderful. We are on the Grandeur now. Left yesterday from Baltimore for a 12 day cruise.

If your Grandeur cruise departs from Baltimore, the Port is just south of the I95 Baltimore tunnel. Very easy parking and parking is close to the terminal.

We are staying at the Embassy Suites near the BWI airport due to points and location. They have a free shuttle to the terminal. Do you remember the cost of parking at the terminal? Is it a flat fee or based on the number of nights?

I like the idea of the shuttle, but also like having my car at the terminal so that we can get in and leave for home...instead of having to go back to the Embassy first.

Jeff

We are staying at the Embassy Suites near the BWI airport due to points and location. They have a free shuttle to the terminal. Do you remember the cost of parking at the terminal? Is it a flat fee or based on the number of nights?

I like the idea of the shuttle, but also like having my car at the terminal so that we can get in and leave for home...instead of having to go back to the Embassy first.

Jeff

It is not a flat rate. The parking fee at Port of Baltimore is $15 per day. The cost for our 12 day cruise was $180.

Jeff

How much is the Embassy suites? I was also wondering how far BWI airport was from the terminal. I was looking at an August 2018, 9 Day New England/Canada cruise, wondering if others can chime in and give opinions on time of year and cruise? Aug 18 is the only window for us to cruise as we have 2 others booked in Caribbean. I was a bit hesitant booking such a small ship but after reading the reviews here, it peaked my interest, we would be booking an OV cabin. Thx in advance!

How much is the Embassy suites? I was also wondering how far BWI airport was from the terminal. I was looking at an August 2018, 9 Day New England/Canada cruise, wondering if others can chime in and give opinions on time of year and cruise? Aug 18 is the only window for us to cruise as we have 2 others booked in Caribbean. I was a bit hesitant booking such a small ship but after reading the reviews here, it peaked my interest, we would be booking an OV cabin. Thx in advance!

We have some discount codes...$103 per night, great deal , great hotel.

Jeff

Ouch. Embassy shuttle it is, we also have 12 nights, so the $180 is better in my pocket.

Jeff

Yes, the parking fee of $180 for 12 nights is high. But, we parked about 50 feet from the terminal. Very easy to get to by car when traveling from Northern Virginia. The Port of Baltimore is very close to interstate I95 (last exit before the tunnel when traveling north).

• 2 weeks later...

I might get flamed for this, specially from the Diamond folks, but having sailed on both the Grandeur and the Pride I find that sailing out of Baltimore, is the real key, I have talked to crew members of both ships, I find that they actually prefer sailing out of Baltimore because the people that sail from there are friendlier and appreciate the crews efforts. I also find the food and service on both ships to be excellent. So all that being said I can recommend either ship. The secret being the convenience of sailing out of Baltimore.

I can only answer about the cruise itself: It's great! We have done C/NE from Baltimore twice; it's one of our favorite cruises. Grandeur is a good ship for that itinerary, too.

I can only answer about the cruise itself: It's great! We have done C/NE from Baltimore twice; it's one of our favorite cruises. Grandeur is a good ship for that itinerary, too.

Thank you!! The more I read about this ship, the more I'm looking forward to sailing on her.

We sailed on the Grandeur of the Seas out of Baltimore and we absolutely loved it, loved it, loved it.

We loved the ship, the cabin, the ports, the food, the service, the venues, the shows and the wonderful, wonderful ambiance on board this great ship.

We hope to sail on her again.....soon.

WillWe have 4 more booked on Grandeur in the future. Will keep slipping the big girls in from time-to-time but love the convenience of Baltimore.

Based on reviews we have read and those from friends who have sailed on her, we have booked Grandeur for February, March, and April 2018 sailings. We loved sailing Legend, a small ship also, in Asia a couple of years ago and are looking very much forward to our upcoming adventures on Grandeur. :cool:

How scenic is the sailing down the Chesepeake to the ocean. We're sailing in June when there will be 5+ hours of daylight.

Just disembarked last week, Nov. 9th... Best cruise ever. I didn't find it particularly scenic but our homeport is NYC/NJ so we're spoiled. Plus we were doing the usual, first timers with Grandeur, exploring the ship, unpacking and occasionally checking outside.

Someone else can fill in the details but it was worth seeing the ship clear the bridge (name?)....never gets old whether the Verrazano out of NY or this one.

But definitely do not miss going over the Chesapeake Bay Tunnel portion around midnight. We arrived on deck just as we passed the the Carnival Pride, coming in... Each of us going in opposite directions, so fast and what seemed like feet apart. Breathtaking and one of the most memorable cruise ship sights we've seen. It happened so fast, without warning, I didn't have a chance to snap a picture.

Then a short time later, we cruised over the Tunnel portion of the Bay/Bridge tunnel. Unfortunately we were in a TS, very windy with the upper decks closed so wasn't able or get a good photo. Although I've driven on it and saw it from above on a plane, this is a must see. And especially so sharing it with only a couple of other people in the middle of this stormy night.

Have fun on your cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

First bridge, about 45 minutes after departure is the Francis Scott Key Bridge. I-695.

Second set of bridges is about 2 hours after departure, and is the Bay Bridge, Route 50 over to the Eastern Shore.

The Chesapeake Bay Bridge -Tunnel is several hours later, around 2AM.