Kids on Celebrity

jimdicap

We are preparing for our third Celebrity cruise during Christmas. Our DD, who is 13 enjoys Celebrity for different reasons. For one she is not an action junkie and doesn't require constant stimulation. Think Scavenger hunts and XBOX. Two, she is a foodie plain and simple. She has rarely eaten off of a children's menu and loves all the different kinds of foods that Celebrity has to offer. Third, she is well-traveled and has learned to adjust to a multitude of differing situations. We expect her to behave when in the presence of adults pure and simple. So, if you want your kids to be wild and crazy then this is not the cruise line for you. But, if they thrive in a more laid back and refined environment then this is it! My daughter thoroughly enjoyed the kids club. She also had the VIP experience and enjoyed it as it was money well spent.

Celebrity is not a good choice for families with young children.

This obviously depends on the family and the kids. My children are 15, 13 and 9, and all three would be Elite if kids had CC status. They have been sailing on X since infancy and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My second cruise was on the Celebrity Mercury when i was 12 years old (28 now) and I loved it. Even at that age I could tell that the service and food was better than other cruise lines I had been on prior. I never found myself bored as I was always content to quietly explore the ship, try new foods, partake in the various events on-board, etc. The only thing I ever had an issue with was the odd passenger who clearly felt that a youth should not be on celebrity and would make their point known.

A sweeping statement that is complete nonsense.

Phil

Not nonsense. Kids get extremely bored. The ships are tailored to middle age and older. There are much better activities on other ships. RC NCL, oh wait and the obvious Disney, has rock climbing walls, wake pools, water slides, theatre shows geared towards families and kids. X has modern luxury......oh and an outdated arcade. If the parents want to go for themselves and just haul the kids along then X would work,but if the parents want to plan a family vacation that includes fun activities for the kids then X is not a good option. Just look at the commercials. Middle aged couples lounging in bath robes on balconies. Wait maybe the kids could belly up at the martini bar with their parents or hang out in the Uber small pools.

Not nonsense. Kids get extremely bored. The ships are tailored to middle age and older. There are much better activities on other ships. RC NCL, oh wait and the obvious Disney, has rock climbing walls, wake pools, water slides, theatre shows geared towards families and kids. X has modern luxury......oh and an outdated arcade. If the parents want to go for themselves and just haul the kids along then X would work,but if the parents want to plan a family vacation that includes fun activities for the kids then X is not a good option. Just look at the commercials. Middle aged couples lounging in bath robes on balconies. Wait maybe the kids could belly up at the martini bar with their parents or hang out in the Uber small pools.

What is your experience with taking kids on a Celebtity cruise.

Been on a ton of lines/cruises. Upcoming on X, so this is simply an opinion. Celebrity is not the right line for kids. My closest comparison would be Princess, which we did with tweens once - and never again. RCI, Carnival, NCL, and of curse Disney (which we would NEVER spend the money on, since we live in FLA and can see Micky whenever....) offer far more activities, shows, events, food, etc. that cater to the family traveler. Ice shows, climbing walls, water slides, parades, "burger joints", etc.

I have done celebrity with my child. The thing I liked most about it was that she got great attention to in the kids camp because hardly any kids in there. However my daughter was bored with the lack of children to play with on deck and in the pool area. I personally loved celebrity the food and service was the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went on many cruises without my kids and some with my kids - on many different lines. Found X tailored more towards those 30 plus

So , no Celebrity cruises with kids, many on this board totally disagree with you and these are people who have actually taken their kids on Celebrity Cruises. Very underrated kids clubs precisely because most who complain about their kids clubs have never taken their kids on their ships.

So , no Celebrity cruises with kids, many on this board totally disagree with you and these are people who have actually taken their kids on Celebrity Cruises. Very underrated kids clubs precisely because most who complain about their kids clubs have never taken their kids on their ships.

I've been on X with and without my kids. Would'nt take them on another X cruise because I found RC much much better for them

I've been on X with and without my kids. Would'nt take them on another X cruise because I found RC much much better for them

Like I said, depends on the family and the kids. Took my daughters on a Disney cruise when they were 6 and 10. The 10 year old, who is a bit introverted, despised it. She was totally overwhelmed by the kids club and the sheer volume of kids. Hated that she couldn't move in the pool as it was wall to wall bodies. She isn't into rock climbing walls, skating rinks, etc. she much prefers the small group atmosphere of X's kids club. The 6 yr old enjoyed it more, but is equally happy on X. Runs to the kids club everyday and is happy playing with just one or two kids at the pool. And my son has an old soul. Even as a little boy, he preferred jazz to pop. He is a trumpet player and happily spends his days at sea wandering from lounge to lounge listening to live music.

If your kids require constant high energy entertainment than no, X is not for them. So don't bring them on an X cruise. But just because that is what works for your family doesn't justify a blanket statement. You don't know other people's kids so how can you say they will be happier on RC or Disney?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience taking their kids on a Celebrity ship? I like the idea of trying Celebrity based off my cruising history, but not sure if they are an appropriate like with children (8 and 5). I know the ads they produce etc say kids are appropriate, but I would rather get feedback from those who have done it. Activities, food, any information is great!

Brought grandchildren onboard. During peak school holiday's, may kids on board. The kids enjoyed the camp and those activities. However, Celebrity not our first choice when sailing with family not much going on for kids or teens unless they like quiet times or sitting by the pool all day.

While we sail mostly on Celebrity, Royal Caribbean the best for kids! Freedom and Oasis class will knock their socks off as they say!You will also enjoy the venues. So much better the Disney or any other cruise line that caters to families IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

We have just returned from a cruise over the festive period with our 4 year old. We have cruised many times before with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, however this was our first time with our daughter. Celebrity has always been our preference but also had some concerns on suitability for our daughter.

We noted that Celebrity have been clear that. they are targeting families and as such currently changing kids program.

Cruise - 12 days in the Caribbean

400:kids - would say majority teenagers. 3 to 5 age group had 30 kids, age 6 - 10 had approx. 50 kids.

Our daughter loved the kids club and would suggest that not been over crowded works better. The program was varied and also included family activities,

Arts and crafts

Camp night on the lawn

Pirate night

Scavenger hunt

Talent show etc

Dinner was good and staff would serve us quicker if required and excellent with kids. The quality of food was outstanding with kids menu suitable for age group.

We will be booking again! Feel free to ask any questions.

P.s. we asked our daughter if she preferred Disney or the cruise - cruise wins!

Hi,

We have just returned from a cruise over the festive period with our 4 year old. We have cruised many times before with Royal Caribbean and Celebrity, however this was our first time with our daughter. Celebrity has always been our preference but also had some concerns on suitability for our daughter.

We noted that Celebrity have been clear that. they are targeting families and as such currently changing kids program.

Cruise - 12 days in the Caribbean

400:kids - would say majority teenagers. 3 to 5 age group had 30 kids, age 6 - 10 had approx. 50 kids.

Our daughter loved the kids club and would suggest that not been over crowded works better. The program was varied and also included family activities,

Arts and crafts

Camp night on the lawn

Pirate night

Scavenger hunt

Talent show etc

Dinner was good and staff would serve us quicker if required and excellent with kids. The quality of food was outstanding with kids menu suitable for age group.

We will be booking again! Feel free to ask any questions.

P.s. we asked our daughter if she preferred Disney or the cruise - cruise wins!

Thank you! I think smaller is better sometimes. I think we might give it a try.

Thanks for the positive review.

You are very welcome.

If you fancy an evening dining without the children, then the kids club is available and will take the kids for something to eat. Our daughter did this one evening and loved it. She would have went every evening if she had the chance, but given her age we liked having her with us. We did let her go after dinner a few evenings if she had an afternoon nap. I loved sitting on the balcony in the afternoon or in the evening - so peaceful.

We sail on the 4/2 on Eclipse with our grandson (5) would be interested on your thoughts for the VIP thing. We've considered it but not sure if he'll go enough to get value for money. Hearing from a parent who's done it will help his parents decide.

Thanks.

Hi, we have just returned from a festive trip on the eclipse. Our daughter is 4 and we did not opt for the vip pakage. It appeals more to older kids and if they will be at kids club late in the evening.

Fab cruise, ship beautiful and staff wonderful.

• 1 month later...
To all the parents who have sailed Celebrity with the kids, make sure you save the kids sea pass cards. At 18 they can join the Captains Club and get credit for all the under 18 cruises.

I just talked to Celebrity. They said they will find their cruise history based on their name and DOB. No need to save the card. Plus, if you have a high status already on RC, you can give the equivalent status to them on Celebrity without the required # of points. My kids, for example, will be Elite regardless because they are Diamond on RC.

I just talked to Celebrity. They said they will find their cruise history based on their name and DOB. No need to save the card. Plus, if you have a high status already on RC, you can give the equivalent status to them on Celebrity without the required # of points. My kids, for example, will be Elite regardless because they are Diamond on RC.

You have greater confidence in their ability to retrieve historical information from the computer system than most of posters here. Heck, they can't find current information half of the time! :rolleyes:

We have always cruised with our kids and they are now 11 and 16. We always enjoyed Celebrity and Holland America. We are not a family who relies on the kids program (in fact, my kids rarely went to the kids program). We just do things together and hang out - swimming, having tea, touring the ship, playing Bingo, games in the lounges, trivia etc. They were never interested in spending all day in the kids club and I am glad. Each day, if something interested them on the kids club schedule, they'd go for that event. That being said, when they did go to the club on Celebrity and HAL, they always had fun - Celebrity in particular because I think they combined the age groups well.

I always chuckle when people steer kids to another cruise line where there is more stuff for kids to do - especially for the sake of having less kids on board their cruises. In our experience, the staff really enjoy the kids on board and get to know their names and like to have a little chat with them.