Kids on Celebrity

jimdicap

Anyone have any experience taking their kids on a Celebrity ship? I like the idea of trying Celebrity based off my cruising history, but not sure if they are an appropriate like with children (8 and 5). I know the ads they produce etc say kids are appropriate, but I would rather get feedback from those who have done it. Activities, food, any information is great!

It really depends on the ship and itinerary. In the Caribbean, the ships have a good number of kids and activities on your typical 7 day cruise especially in school vacation times. Same for Alaska in the summer. On longer cruises, destination cruises, and during school season, less kids. For example, we went on a 15 day Panama Canal cruise and there were hardly any kids or kid-oriented activities. We have sailed a lot on RCI too and the kids activities are more numerous and organized than Celebrity in general.

Kids at ages 5 and 8 would enjoy Disney much more than X. Yes, there is the arcade and Kids Club but overall, the all day experience of being around kid oriented entertainment centered around Disney characters would most likely be more fun for them.

Remember also the demographics of the other passengers. The passengers on Disney know there will be lots of children. On Celebrity there are passengers who do not want children running amok. You have to know your children and how they would be in a mostly adult setting. We first took our daughter on Celebrity at age 8 and she loved it and enjoyed the new foods in the dining room. None of that kids menu stuff like chicken nuggets or spaghetti for her. Bring on the escargot, Oysters Rockefeller, and filet mignon!

Anyone have any experience taking their kids on a Celebrity ship? I like the idea of trying Celebrity based off my cruising history, but not sure if they are an appropriate like with children (8 and 5). I know the ads they produce etc say kids are appropriate, but I would rather get feedback from those who have done it. Activities, food, any information is great!

Normally there's not many kids on board when we cruise(non school vacation times)Really small children might be bored. Those over 12 should be able to find stuff to do(supervised, please!)

Kids at ages 5 and 8 would enjoy Disney much more than X. Yes, there is the arcade and Kids Club but overall, the all day experience of being around kid oriented entertainment centered around Disney characters would most likely be more fun for them.

Remember also the demographics of the other passengers. The passengers on Disney know there will be lots of children. On Celebrity there are passengers who do not want children running amok. You have to know your children and how they would be in a mostly adult setting. We first took our daughter on Celebrity at age 8 and she loved it and enjoyed the new foods in the dining room. None of that kids menu stuff like chicken nuggets or spaghetti for her. Bring on the escargot, Oysters Rockefeller, and filet mignon!

Sounds like us when were kids! My parents always exposed us to new & wondrous foods. That being said, I had a rotten Oyster at age 7 in a fine restaurant in Chicago. I did "Linda Blair" proud that night!

Remember also the demographics of the other passengers. The passengers on Disney know there will be lots of children. On Celebrity there are passengers who do not want children running amok.

If someone wants a kid only cruise they should sail on adult only cruise lines or vacation at adult only all inclusive. I certainly would not make a vacation decision by considering the likes/dislikes or demographics of people I do not know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There is NOTHING wrong with taking kids on Celebrity! They do have an excellent kid's program...and your kids are the perfect age to enjoy it!

Almost every line is "family friendly"...some of the "Luxury" lines don't offer much for children, but they aren't banned, either!

Take the Celebrity cruise with no fear of your children being bored....or shunned!!

Pick the line and itenarary that you like, kids are not paying and all the people who speak of Disney have an agenda. My daughter has not liked Disney since she was 5 and would rather die than be stuck on a boat with princesses and shrek!

Make sure you have the the wifi and they can have there trends with them everywhere! That she all dd wants - lol

She loved all the time on islands and eating all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Admittedly it's been quite a while, but my kids used to enjoy the Celebrity kids program back in the 90's. However, based on the cruise lines you have been on, and the ships, if your kids have been on them, they are going to be very disappointed by what's available to them on Celebrity. As far as adults who don't want kids running amok, if they avoid holiday times and the summer, that doesn't happen as much. Also, I know I am going to get heat for this, but I always felt that there was a different class of people on Celebrity, and their children tended to be better behaved.

We sail on school vacation weeks and there are relatively few children on our Celebrity cruises. There are activities available that tend to revolve around the children's club. You will not have the high energy or great variety of activities that you will see on other lines. I would probably choose a cruise with several ports as the sea days can tend to drag for some kids.

We have done other lines where there have been many more opportunities for children to meet other children their age. RCL was a great choice for our family.

What do your children enjoy? Do they enjoy quiet play, crafts, sports, computer games? I've seen all of these with children 9n Celebrity. I've been on one week cruises where there were dozens of children, even a couple of hundred, and on cruises where there were only five.

In both cases, I saw the children enjoying themselves. The cruise with five children had five preschool age children. They appeared to enjoy playing dress-up and tea party.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

First of all, many posters will tell you there are few kids on Celebrity cruises. It is true there are fewer children, however the kids club deliberately schedules activities out of the way of the general ship's population. So it always seems there are fewer than there really are.

Second, I have found that the kids who travel with their family on Celebrity are better behaved than those that travel on the lines where there are many more children. Perhaps this is because Celebrity caters to different tastes.

The ages you mention will be fine on Celebrity because they are too young to take advantage of some of the amusement park-like activities on other cruise line ships (rock wall, huge water slides ) etc.

Also, some of the Celebrity ships are smaller and less overwhelming for families with kids. Trust that your kids will be safe and well cared for in Celebrity's Fun Factory program.

My 4 and 6 year olds have been on 6 Celebrity cruises so far (7th coming up in April) and absolutely love it. They have a great time at the kids club.

Just as Celebrity isn't the right choice for all adults, it won't be the right choice for all kids either. But those on these boards with kids who've actually sailed Celebrity typically report that their kids love it.

Mike

Our kids have been cruising on Celebrity for the past 4 years and have been on 3 of the longer itineraries in the Caribbean. They love it, the atmosphere is fun without being too loud and crazy. Some of the other cruises we have been on have been fun but just a bit too loud with all the activities and people. We have two cruises coming up with the kids on celebrity, they are now 10, 13 and 16 and just as excited to go as ever. Enjoy your trip where ever you go!!

My 10 yr old would vote for X over DCL. He much preferred X to DCL. He was able experience them back to back last year. He tells me the activities were better planned and executed on X. DCL has a beautiful kid space but found much of the time was simply keeping them in the room to entertain themselves. He much preferred the active planning and participation of the X kids staff.

Also, passengers on X should be aware that at times the "kids running amok" is them participating in scavenger hunts etc. Unlike DCL that keeps them on the kid facility there are activities that move them around to different locations.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. We did take the kids on Disney--they loved it, but it wasn't as good for me or my wife. We have been on every other mainstream line, but not Celebrity, so everyone's opinion is helpful. Thanks again!

To all the parents who have sailed Celebrity with the kids, make sure you save the kids sea pass cards. At 18 they can join the Captains Club and get credit for all the under 18 cruises.

Great point! We have been doing this, but it is really unfortunate that we have to. I have well over 10 more years of saving to do. There is really no good reason why they shouldn't be able to track this themselves, or better yet, simply just let them have CC numbers now like everyone else.

Mike