How hooked are you??

easy1969

I am 47 years old and over the years I often thought or taking a cruise but never did till April 2010. It was a short 5 day out of Mobile on the Fantasy.

To put it mildly I was addicted from the moment I saw the ship from the hotel the morning of the cruise. My wife and I had a wonderful time on that first cruise and even now we still love the Fantasy.

since that first cruise in 2010 we have been on a total of 10 cruises and have 2 more booked.

I only wish that I had discovered cruising years ago.

I am truly addicted to cruising. If I don't have a future cruse booked it drives me crazy, I can't sleep, eat, or think straight. I will sit for hours in front of a computer looking at ships and ports until I hit the book now button and get my fix, then the slow countdown to the cruise date begins.

once the cruise is over the whole process starts again. I see no hope of a cure. all I can do is treat the symptoms with more days at sea.

I assume that many here suffer from the same addiction, if so how long can you go without having a future cruise booked???

• Like 1

Im the same way but with a different philisphy. I know I'll cruise twice a year. Spring and fall/winter. Im looking now for my fall/winter cruise. I usually book after final pymt to get a great rate on whatever has cabins remaining.

I have 3 ports within driving distance so that helps. And I'll book a flight on Southwest to FL so if my plans fall thru I'll get a refund or a credit.

My bf took his 1st cruise may 2017 and he's already talking about and he's even found a Feb 2018 cruise. So I think he's addiction has started. He doesn't know it yet. LOL!![emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

My dad had a heart attack September 2006, almost died a few times during the ordeal. After he was back home he wanted to go see new places, so he, my younger brother and myself booked a cruise on Princess for November 2007. We were so excited as none of us had cruised before. Well September 2007, just 2 months before sailing my dad was driving down the highway and a semi-truck crosses the center and hit him head on, he died 16 days later in the hospital so needless to say the trip didn't happen.

After that I got married, had 2 boys of my own and we decided to go on a cruise May 2016 on the Magic. My mom and step-dad went with us and we had one of the best vacations ever. Since then we've booked an additional 6 cruises all on Carnival (2 every year) we are so hooked on cruising that we are contemplating booking another cruise between our Sept 2017 on the Sunshine and our June 2018 on the Horizon because of the 8 month wait in between.

We try to book rooms either as far front or as far aft and as high deck as we can on the ship so we can get the most rocking. Unfortunately after our May 2016 cruise we decided a normal balcony wasn't big enough for a family of 4 so only book suites which normally limit us to mid-ship. It normally takes us a few weeks to be able to sleep again once we are on dry land.

OP, I could have almost written your post myself. Cannot stand not having a cruise to look forward to. Since we started on this addiction in 2004 we have managed to nearly always have at least one cruise booked. In 2013 we went nearly three months without one to anticipate and it just about killed me! :p Currently we have three booked between October 2017 and January 2019 and are looking for at least one other. What a fantastic problem to have!!

:cool: We took our first cruise on the Big Red boat back in early 80's. It was not until I retired 2001, that we really became hooked. We now have about 45 cruises on Carnival and about 4 more with other liens. We now have 3 booked for this year and 3 for next year as well. You think you got it bad??? (LOL) Next one is on the Oasis on Sept. 10 2017. Just have to try that big ship at least once. Don't you just love looking out at the water with nothing to see but water?:)

:cool: We took our first cruise on the Big Red boat back in early 80's. It was not until I retired 2001, that we really became hooked. We now have about 45 cruises on Carnival and about 4 more with other liens. We now have 3 booked for this year and 3 for next year as well. You think you got it bad??? (LOL) Next one is on the Oasis on Sept. 10 2017. Just have to try that big ship at least once. Don't you just love looking out at the water with nothing to see but water?:)

See you on Oasis. [emoji2]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I've wanted to cruise for years but always thought it was too expensive so it became a bucket list thing. Now that I'm getting older I decided to check it out and see how much it cost so we could save up for it. At first I was looking at river cruises and then I decided to check out Carnival's prices. Wow was I shocked. It wasn't anymore (actually probably less) expensive than a land vacation. I booked our first cruse on the Carnival Triumph for Dec 2016. It was a Christmas cruise as that's when one of my husbands vacations are and it was also our 20th wedding anniversary. I started researching all about cruises and I was hooked even before we had taken our first. I booked our cruise for the whole family on the Splendor for this coming Sunday before we had even taken the first cruise. Then I heard about B2B's so I talked my husband into booking the cruise right after our first one so we did a New Years cruise on the Triumph as well. While on the Triumph I decided to take my best friend of 44 years on a cruise as I knew she'd never get to do one and it was my excuse to do another cruise as well. I booked while on our first cruise for February of 2017 on the Carnival Pride. So in less than 7 months I already will have been on 4 cruises. I'd say I'm definitely an addict. I'm already looking for the 5th as I want to go to Cuba before they close it back up again. However, I'll probably have to wait for my pocketbook to recover before I can book that one. :o:loudcry:

I think you will find two types of people on these forums. Those who are new and looking for advice and those of us who are hooked. We need them to have something to work for and look forward to. They are our carrot at the end of the stick.

• Like 1

I am sorry about your dad it is very tragic surviving a heart attack then passing from a auto accident.

since you shared the story about your dad I would like to share a bit more about myself.

In august 2009 2 weeks after my 40th birthday I had a major heart attack. I woke up at 0630 on a Sunday morning with steady pain in my left shoulder. I suspected that it was a heart attack and woke my wife who rushed me to the hospital. to make a long story short I was having a major heart attack 100% blockage of the LAD artery (Widow maker) I was very fortunate to survive whole event and it changed everything about the way I live my life.

I spend as much time as possible with my wife and 3 daughters. I have always been very close to my family but after that experience I now realize even more that every moment I spend with them is precious and important.

Prior to the event when I was not at home I was working I had never taken a real vacation so 7 months later we took our first cruise and we were addicted from that point on. I no longer put off vacations or anything else that I or my family wants to experience as I now know that each day is a gift.

But anyway.. cruising has become the vacation of choice for us and we plan to keep going as long as the health and money hold out.

Best wishes

Steven

My dad had a heart attack September 2006, almost died a few times during the ordeal. After he was back home he wanted to go see new places, so he, my younger brother and myself booked a cruise on Princess for November 2007. We were so excited as none of us had cruised before. Well September 2007, just 2 months before sailing my dad was driving down the highway and a semi-truck crosses the center and hit him head on, he died 16 days later in the hospital so needless to say the trip didn't happen.

After that I got married, had 2 boys of my own and we decided to go on a cruise May 2016 on the Magic. My mom and step-dad went with us and we had one of the best vacations ever. Since then we've booked an additional 6 cruises all on Carnival (2 every year) we are so hooked on cruising that we are contemplating booking another cruise between our Sept 2017 on the Sunshine and our June 2018 on the Horizon because of the 8 month wait in between.

We try to book rooms either as far front or as far aft and as high deck as we can on the ship so we can get the most rocking. Unfortunately after our May 2016 cruise we decided a normal balcony wasn't big enough for a family of 4 so only book suites which normally limit us to mid-ship. It normally takes us a few weeks to be able to sleep again once we are on dry land.

Cloudnine I am very happy to see a fellow Kentuckian with the same addiction as I have.

my wife and I went on the triumph back 2 back right after you guys we went on jan 12th 5 day and the following 4 day we had a blast.

I've wanted to cruise for years but always thought it was too expensive so it became a bucket list thing. Now that I'm getting older I decided to check it out and see how much it cost so we could save up for it. At first I was looking at river cruises and then I decided to check out Carnival's prices. Wow was I shocked. It wasn't anymore (actually probably less) expensive than a land vacation. I booked our first cruse on the Carnival Triumph for Dec 2016. It was a Christmas cruise as that's when one of my husbands vacations are and it was also our 20th wedding anniversary. I started researching all about cruises and I was hooked even before we had taken our first. I booked our cruise for the whole family on the Splendor for this coming Sunday before we had even taken the first cruise. Then I heard about B2B's so I talked my husband into booking the cruise right after our first one so we did a New Years cruise on the Triumph as well. While on the Triumph I decided to take my best friend of 44 years on a cruise as I knew she'd never get to do one and it was my excuse to do another cruise as well. I booked while on our first cruise for February of 2017 on the Carnival Pride. So in less than 7 months I already will have been on 4 cruises. I'd say I'm definitely an addict. I'm already looking for the 5th as I want to go to Cuba before they close it back up again. However, I'll probably have to wait for my pocketbook to recover before I can book that one. :o:loudcry:

Cloudnine I am very happy to see a fellow Kentuckian with the same addiction as I have.

my wife and I went on the triumph back 2 back right after you guys we went on jan 12th 5 day and the following 4 day we had a blast.

Yeah now I'm hooked on B2B's. I wanted to book another one so bad but I'll have to wait for another time. Cheers :champagne-toast: from one Hillbilly to another. :)

I always tell newbies to be prepared for the addiction to hit you. I love watching the look of amazement when someone walks into the atrium on their first cruise, I remember it being so much excitement. We have two booked right now and have done 30 plus over the years.

How hooked? I am all booked up to 12/18 but find myself checking every single day to see if the 2019-2020 cruise schedules are out. The night before disembarkation is the worst as I am overwhelmed by depression while packing. The thought of my cruise coming to an end is simply unbearable.

Very hooked as is my teen son (been cruising since he was toddler) and husband.....all of us are hooked....we take a cruise the week before Christmas each year then one or two others if during the year if we can fit it in...we live on the east coast and can drive to just about every port so it makes it easy....we have 2 booked right now (December 2017 and April 2018).....;p

I love the many stories that each of you are sharing.

The love of my life and myself started cruising in 1985. He had a horrible accident at work, was suffering with a broken leg, shoulder and many cuts & bruises. After he recovered he said he wanted to enjoy life more so we tried cruising. He booked a 10 day to the Caribbean, onboard RCCL Sun Viking. It was the most amazing trip we had ever taken and we promised to do it again.

Well, after 30 more cruises onboard every cruise line in the major markets, the love of my life has passed away and I have 3 cruises booked in my future. I now go with friends and or children.......it's not the same but the smell of the sea, the wind whipping through my hair and the joy I get from it all fills my heart and soul!

;p You know your hooked when getting on the first day and you just have to stop in the Atrium and just look. Even if you have been on the ship before it still gets you.

You know your hooked when you already know what you are having for lunch that very first day.

You know you are hooked if you are dreaming about chocolate melting cake.

You know your hooked if there are ports you just don't bother getting off the ship.

You know your hooked if you are getting tired lobster:evilsmile: Never happen.

Great subject. Happy cruising. :cool:

I think alot of us are in the same situation as you. I had to be dragged kicking and scremming on my first cruise because I thought that it would be no fun stuck on the sea for 7 days. Wife had to offer to pay for the whole thing. Boy, was I wrong.

Since then, I have paid for every cruise after my virgin cruise (Yes, after 37 years of marriage, wife and I still have seperate bank accounts.)

But, now here is my point. Cruises are cruises. Some are 3 day, some are 7 day, some are longer. But Sea days are the real indicator of whether you are a true cruiser of the seas, or just a weekend party towel animal.

So post your cruises and then days at sea.

I'll start- 18 cruises, 131 days at sea.