What's Happening to Jewel?

57eric

Nearly the entire fleet is scheduled well into 2019 but Jewel disappears in September, 2018. Does anyone know what's going on? This isn't one of those "no US customers wanted" things like Carnival is doing, I hope. Maybe it's for sale?

The Jewel is in Australia/New Zealand during the southern summer (2017/18). I cannot see a decision being made about where it will be in the next summer season (2018/19) till this season has been examined. The re-positioning cruises have sold well 2017/18 but the money making will depend on the use of the ship while south.

its too early yet..the full 2019 schedule will not released until December-February

Perhaps, but with only one exception rest of the fleet is scheduled out at least 5 months past Jewel. In any event, it's the fall 2018 schedule I'm interested in; will it be going back to Australia, and what are the fares like?

Perhaps, but with only one exception rest of the fleet is scheduled out at least 5 months past Jewel. In any event, it's the fall 2018 schedule I'm interested in; will it be going back to Australia, and what are the fares like?

Others have noted that the official cruise calendars for Australia and New Zealand show the Jewel in port for dates in the northern hemisphere winter, southern hemisphere summer, 2018-19. Cruise berths in Syndey in particular are very limited, and the other US lines that cruise to Australia have released their Australia 2018-19 cruises many months ago, so it's a decent guess that NCL is headed back there. They probably are paying considerable amounts to hold these berths, or maybe they have purchased options. Either way, I doubt they'll be allowed to hold them indefinitely, and so they likely will need to make a decision soon.

There aren't many great options for Jewel if she doesn't go back down under in September of next year. Panama canal and back to Florida would be the most likely option, I imagine, given that they already will have a ship headed to South America. Florida is pretty saturated, though, and who knows if they could arrange for berthing at this point.

Anyway, here's some rank speculation on my part. I've been paying attention to this because we are thinking about a 2018 Australian cruise. I suspect that there are contracts out there that have options on ports and port fees, and they will largely dictate when NCL must commit one way or the other -- once it does so, I expect we'll hear. If Jewel is going to go back to Australia, she is losing market share to Royal and Celebrity, which are selling the repos pretty well from what I can tell. NCL cannot wait much longer. Every day more they can wait helps, but also hurts -- it helps in that they can gauge demand for this season better. North American customers book far earlier than other countries' customers, and so every day that goes by gives them some more information for pricing 2018-19. At the same time, every day they wait is another day that people interested in Australia will consider booking Ovation of the Seas (or pick your favorite competitor). So, anyway, I'm going to go with October 3 as the date we'll hear. Just a guess, but it's the day that Jewel leaves Alaska this year for its repo.

For those that haven't and want to:-

20-Day Transpacific from Tokyo (Yokohama) & Alaska

DayCruise PortsArriveDepartSunTokyo (Yokohama), Japan (EMBARK)---5:00 pmMonShimizu, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmTueAt Sea------WedAomori, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmThuHakodate, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmFriMuroran, Japan8:00 am4:00 pmSatAt Sea------SunAt Sea------MonPetropavlovsk, Russia7:00 am7:00 pmTueAt Sea------WedAt Sea------[/url]---OvernightThuAt Sea------FriSeward, Alaska8:00 am5:00 pmSatCruise Hubbard Glacier------SunCruise Glacier Bay------MonSkagway, Alaska7:00 am8:00 pmTueJuneau, Alaska7:00 am11:00 pmWedIcy Strait Point, Alaska7:00 am3:00 pmThuKetchikan, Alaska8:00 am4:00 pmFriAt Sea------SatSeattle, Washington (DISEMBARK)7:00 am---

Has anyone seen the itinerary of Jewel's 6-26 May 2017 Transpacific crossing from Tokyo to Seattle?

It's really an one off itinerary and it includes cruising in the Bering Sea!

It's on NCL.com.

Since that was four months ago, are you talking about NEXT May? In 2018?

Since that was four months ago, are you talking about NEXT May? In 2018?

YES!! My BAD!!

I remembered typing the correct year the first time but the MS Edge had website error and refreshed the screen and I lost what I typed.

May 6-26 2018. You interested?

We can't - too long for me - can't get away from work that long - would need 4 weeks.

Day Cruise Ports Arrive DepartSun Tokyo (Yokohama), Japan (EMBARK)---5:00 pm

Mon Shimizu, Japan 8:00 am6:00 pm

Tue At Sea------

Wed Aomori, Japan 8:00 am6:00 pm

Thu Hakodate, Japan 8:00 am6:00 pm

Fri Muroran, Japan 8:00 am4:00 pm

Sat At Sea------

Sun At Sea------

Mon Petropavlovsk, Russia 7:00 am7:00 pm

Tue At Sea------

Wed At Sea---------Overnight

Thu At Sea------

Fri Seward, Alaska 8:00 am5:00 pm

Sat Cruise Hubbard Glacier------

Sun Cruise Glacier Bay------

Mon Skagway, Alaska 7:00 am8:00 pm

Tue Juneau, Alaska 7:00 am11:00 pm

Wed Icy Strait Point, Alaska 7:00 am3:00 pm

Thu Ketchikan, Alaska 8:00 am4:00 pm

Fri At Sea------

Sat Seattle, Washington (DISEMBARK)7:00 am---

Wow.. cool itinerary

When that itinerary came out a couple of months ago, I was totally wishing there was a way to do it. Japan and Alaska in a jewel class in one cruise! The downside for me would be that I don't love lots of consecutive sea days on the smaller ships, and Petropavlovsk, while I'd be interest to say I saw it, doesn't exactly look like the kind of awesome destination to be sandwiched between 6 sea days. At least you don't need a visa!

Still, that's a really awesome cruise. I hope someone who does it posts a review here.

DayCruise PortsArriveDepartSunTokyo (Yokohama), Japan (EMBARK)---5:00 pmMonShimizu, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmTueAt Sea------WedAomori, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmThuHakodate, Japan8:00 am6:00 pmFriMuroran, Japan8:00 am4:00 pmSatAt Sea------SunAt Sea------MonPetropavlovsk, Russia7:00 am7:00 pmTueAt Sea------WedAt Sea---------OvernightThuAt Sea------FriSeward, Alaska8:00 am5:00 pmSatCruise Hubbard Glacier------SunCruise Glacier Bay------MonSkagway, Alaska7:00 am8:00 pmTueJuneau, Alaska7:00 am11:00 pmWedIcy Strait Point, Alaska7:00 am3:00 pmThuKetchikan, Alaska8:00 am4:00 pmFriAt Sea------SatSeattle, Washington (DISEMBARK)7:00 am---

We booked it a few weeks ago .... you get Japan and an Alaskan cruise in one !!!!! It would have been better if it stopped in Vancouver instead but we will just hop the Quick shuttle to get home ....We also booked an inside cabin because the Jewel has the lovely Spinnaker lounge to get our views from ...Starting our research on ports after our Caribbean cruise on the Jade in November ...wherever it goes ..

I need a way to get to Asia from North America every fall and from Asis to North America every spring. Unfortunately I already have a Singapore to Dubai to Barcelona to NYC cruise planned for April and May 2018, would have preferred the 20 day Jewel Japan to Seattle in May. Now I am holding out for our return to Asia in the fall of 2018, hopefully on the Jewel. Already have a deposit on a RCCL 23 day Australia to Seattle by way of the South Pacific and an overnight in Honolulu. Perhaps I can wait long enough for the 2019 Jewel return to North America. Hope to see Jewel schedules soon.

Just off The Jewel last past Saturday. The Jewel will be in Alaska for the 2018 season and then go to Singapore for dry dock. Then New Zealand and Australian cruises. The itinerary for run to Singapore in the Fall of 2018 has yet to be announced. Probably early 2018.

When that itinerary came out a couple of months ago, I was totally wishing there was a way to do it. Japan and Alaska in a jewel class in one cruise! The downside for me would be that I don't love lots of consecutive sea days on the smaller ships, and Petropavlovsk, while I'd be interest to say I saw it, doesn't exactly look like the kind of awesome destination to be sandwiched between 6 sea days. At least you don't need a visa!

Still, that's a really awesome cruise. I hope someone who does it posts a review here.

Petropavlovsk is a great port for anyone who used to play Risk, get to check off Kamchatka.

Just off The Jewel last past Saturday. The Jewel will be in Alaska for the 2018 season and then go to Singapore for dry dock. Then New Zealand and Australian cruises. The itinerary for run to Singapore in the Fall of 2018 has yet to be announced. Probably early 2018.

Good to know, Singapore is a 3 hour flight to the Philippines, our final destination. Hope to see the itinerary soon. It will probably be the southern route, would love to sail into Hong Kong, only 100 minutes by air to Luzon, Philippines.

I'm hoping for Tahiti etc again!

Need to look at a globe to see likely routes to Singapore, would be nice to see it again after so long.

Did you get a sense whether they will wait until 2018 to also put the Oz and NZ cruises on sale?

I'm hoping for Tahiti etc again!

Need to look at a globe to see likely routes to Singapore, would be nice to see it again after so long.

If they head to Singapore from Alaska before Oz, I would think it would be Japan and Korea, maybe by way of Hawaii. To go to Tahiti would mean crossing into the Southern Hemisphere and then heading over to NZ and Australia and then up to Singapore, dry docking, then going back to Australia. Tahiti is really far from Singapore and unless the dry dock is very short it would be hard to make it to Oz by Thanksgiving. Unless they leave Alaska really early in September. Tahiti would seem more likely on the way back.

• 3 weeks later...
YES!! My BAD!!

I remembered typing the correct year the first time but the MS Edge had website error and refreshed the screen and I lost what I typed.

May 6-26 2018. You interested?

We can't - too long for me - can't get away from work that long - would need 4 weeks.

I'd love to but we'll just be debarking from Sun after our third Canal transit.

I'm looking for a Dec 2018-Jan 2019 cruise, preferably on a Jewel class ship so I'm waiting for Jewel's schedule to be released. Looks like OZ? Guess we'll do Jade. It's had its drydock since we were aboard.

I wanted to do Gem but it's going to NY, swapping with Breakaway.

• 3 weeks later...
Nearly the entire fleet is scheduled well into 2019 but Jewel disappears in September, 2018. Does anyone know what's going on? This isn't one of those "no US customers wanted" things like Carnival is doing, I hope. Maybe it's for sale?

The Sydney Ports website: https://www.portauthoritynsw.com.au/cruise/cruise-schedule/ shows from page 36 the Norwegen Jewel from 8 October 2018, so that would be your 'fall' and our spring.

Very handy site as it shows which line/ship/berth for every ship that docks in Sydney. They are trying to find other berths as cruising it getting more and more popular in Australia, especially from Sydney as you can see from the scheduling. There is ongoing discussions on the Aust page of this site as to where they will find in Sydney for more ships.

I would like more ships from Perth, not many visit and we have to fly about 3300 kilometres or 2050 miles to Sydney for NZ or Pacific island cruises.