cancelling cruise with insurance due to 85 year old mother has moderate dementia

tommy47

i booked 2 cruises for January and april for 2018 for my wife and i. i booked these back 4 months ago and got travel insurance for both. recently my 85 year old mother was diagnosed with moderate dementia. she is still living in her house alone and im her only son. i am now going there all the time to be sure she takes her pills among other things to take care of her. she went for extensive tests to get this diagnosis. is this a reason to be able to cancel a cruise. thank you

Did you get your insurance from the cruise line? If so, which one? If not, then from where and which specific policy?

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

i booked 2 cruises for January and april for 2018 for my wife and i. i booked these back 4 months ago and got travel insurance for both. recently my 85 year old mother was diagnosed with moderate dementia. she is still living in her house alone and im her only son. i am now going there all the time to be sure she takes her pills among other things to take care of her. she went for extensive tests to get this diagnosis. is this a reason to be able to cancel a cruise. thank you

Have you made final payment?

The January date would be the one that could require some insurance intervention. The April date can be cancelled with full refund if you are in the US or Canada.

The above is rather generic as you don't detail which cruise line you are dealing with.

I bought the insurance through my travel agent crucon and they use travel insured out of Glastonbury ct. the cruise is January 21st on princess.

All you can do is call and ask them.

Yes you are covered for illness of a family member not traveling with you.

Does the insurance company define dementia as a covered illness? Only they can answer that question.

I believe your policy does include Cancel For Any Reason.

This would give you a 75% credit to be used on a future cruise.

I bought the insurance through my travel agent crucon and they use travel insured out of Glastonbury ct. the cruise is January 21st on princess.
Based on the info you provided, I believe the specific policy is C&F Travel Insurance International Worldwide Trip Protector Lite. There is wording in that policy that concerns me: ".. Your Family Member’s ... covered Sickness or Injury, which: a) occurs before departure on Your Trip, b) requires Medical Treatment at the time of cancellation resulting in medically imposed restrictions, as certified by a Legally Qualified Physician, and c) and prevents Your participation in the Trip;" By comparison, my Nationwide Choice Cruise policy wording is much more straightforward: "Sickness ... of a non-traveling Family Member;" It seems like C&F added a lot of words there to put a condition on the coverage such that you are only covered if there is some reason why your family member's sickness requires your presence as part of their treatment.

Read your policy or call them. How do we know what your policy says.

DON

Based on the info you provided, I believe the specific policy is C&F Travel Insurance International Worldwide Trip Protector Lite.
How do we know what your policy says.
We look it up and read it ourselves. It is part of being helpful to other members.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.