Jewel Down Under - A live(ish) report

grozzy1

Hi everyone, this is going to be my report on the Jewel's inaugural cruise from Sydney, 5 nights to Tasmania (and hopefully back). I haven't purchased the internet plan so I will only be posting when in port. There won't be a huge number of pics until I'm home.

Introduction

I decided I wanted to go on a cruise back in April. The first company I looked at was Royal Carribbean. Unfortunately as a solo they were way too expensive. For the price of an inside cabin I could book a nice hotel room on land.

After researching other solo options I had a look at NCL. On selected sailings they have reduced supplements for singles. I settled on an ocean view cabin on this 5 night cruise. Being my first cruise, 5 nights seems just right for a "taster" Also being a domestic cruise I don't need to worry about a passport.

The itinerary is

Sydney

Sea

Burnie

Hobart

Sea

Sydney

A couple of months after booking NCL had a sale. For about $200 extra I could get a minisuite and $200 OBC. That was an easy decision. I also kept my 2 perks (beverage and dining plans)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app

Day 0 Saturday

It was an easy trip on the train from southern Sydney. I had enough points for a room at Holiday Inn old Sydney. It's not a flash hotel but only 2 streets back from the terminal.

I was only expecting a standard room with a view of the alley, but got upgraded to an executive kingroom with a view of the Quay.

I spent the afternoon taking photos and looking at the Celebrity Spirit. At night I looked at the projection on the Opera House commemorating rememberance daye916b4b5f4754f5e180ecb441e736acb.jpg614e2b5cd09aa50193e71ef9de2fb097.jpg

Boarding was painless. My documentation only said that boarding started at 12. At 10 am I left the hotel and checked my bag. A lady there said they expected check-in to start around 11. After I had some morning tea I came back at 11. Went straight in and up the escalator. Despite being sorted into lines of varying status and my lack of DYKHIA it was straight to a desk. After getting my details and card it was up another level into a holding area.

After 5-10 min security was opened and I went through and boarded at 11:30. First stop was the excursions desk to enquire about the behind the scenes tour. It costs $79 (I think) and should be on the last sea day. Details will be sent to my cabin later.

Next was lunch at Tsar's. Nothing exciting, but the service was quick. Rooms were announced ready at 1:30 and I'm currently chilling out on my balcony.94382af9ffa394b11945ca7e5f2bf4b3.jpg0c84b9866ecaeb3d43266329851991b6.jpgbf3120ab00983d156b2b24179dda52fe.jpg

We fly into Sydney from the east coast of Florida and cruise on the Jewel starting on 30 November. Hobart was on our schedule when we first booked, but they changed to Melbourne and added an extra sea day. I’m looking forward to reading about your adventure. The weather looks great. What is the temperature now?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Boarding was painless. My documentation only said that boarding started at 12. At 10 am I left the hotel and checked my bag. A lady there said they expected check-in to start around 11. After I had some morning tea I came back at 11. Went straight in and up the escalator. Despite being sorted into lines of varying status and my lack of DYKHIA it was straight to a desk. After getting my details and card it was up another level into a holding area.

After 5-10 min security was opened and I went through and boarded at 11:30. First stop was the excursions desk to enquire about the behind the scenes tour. It costs $79 (I think) and should be on the last sea day. Details will be sent to my cabin later.

Next was lunch at Tsar's. Nothing exciting, but the service was quick. Rooms were announced ready at 1:30 and I'm currently chilling out on my balcony.94382af9ffa394b11945ca7e5f2bf4b3.jpg0c84b9866ecaeb3d43266329851991b6.jpgbf3120ab00983d156b2b24179dda52fe.jpg

Loving your report! We are on the Jewel in January. Where is your balcony located? I just upgraded ours from inside to balcony. We are on the Deck 10.

Hey Grozzy. Hope you are enjoying your cruise.

Could you please give me your opinion on the taste of the coffee that is supplied for the coffee maker.

Is it packaged in individual sachets, or in a jar?

Thanks. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Could you please give me your opinion on the taste of the coffee that is supplied for the coffee maker.

Thanks. [emoji106]

Coffee??? Best coffee I had all cruise was prior to the cruise in Melbourne Airport and once I debarked in Sydney. [emoji6]

Coffee??? Best coffee I had all cruise was prior to the cruise in Melbourne Airport and once I debarked in Sydney. [emoji6]

Lol that's what I thought. I will bring my own beans and a hand grinder [emoji16]

Thanks. [emoji106]

There are sachets of coffee provided, but I don't drink it so no opinion on its quality.