FYI about Wine by the Glass on Riviera

cruisingxpert

Let me start by saying I think this was my best cruise ever on Oceania. 18 days from Rome to Miami with almost perfect weather and great people. We had 120 people show up for the Meet and Greet in Horizons on Nov 14th. First time I saw so many staff show up for a Meet and Greet.

It was also the first time I took the Prestige package and that's where I was a bit disappointed. For anyone who has favorite wines by the glass from past cruises, Frescobaldi Chianti Castiglioni, Macon Chaintre Chardonnay, Hoffman Chardonnay and Spellbound Merlot are no longer on the menu. The replacement Chianti was not one that I liked . The replacement chardonnay was Pouilly Fuisse which was fine except that it was almost gone after the first week and all gone a week before the end of the cruise.

Hi Catherine,

Totally agree with your post. The cruise was fantastic with just a few problems, the worst of which was the white wine by the glass. Having found one that my wife loved, we had it a few days only to be told they had run out by the end of the first week. I complained at reception and the Cellar Master explained that it had been very popular (not surprising as it was heads and shoulders above the other, mainly US wines) and supplies were short.

I was assured that they were taking it off the list but there were sufficient supplies if we gave the wine waiter our cabin number.

This was fine for a few days - each time we asked for it we were told it had gone, but when we gave our number it appeared.

However after only another 4-5 days, we were assured that it had really all gone..

We sat in the Grand Dining Room refusing to eat until the Cellar Master was summoned. She explained that supplies had been lower than anticipated.

The next evening we were eating in Jacques and saw an empty bottle of the wine a few feet from where we were sitting.

The Cellar Master was assured by the wine waiter that this bottle had been pre-ordered and had not been placed there just to annoy me!

At that point she offered to supply decent French red wine for the remainder of the cruise.

That was some consolation, but hardly the point. At least it meant we could drink French red wine in the French restaurant - there was none on the wine by glass selection - ridiculous!

Peter

We found the included wine list (when you buy an alcohol package) to be fair to just okay. Very few decent choices.

Since both my wife and I are exclusively red wine drinkers,and I know you frequent Regent, please mention some "higher quality " red wines they serve over there....Thanks in advance

This is not the first I have heard of very poor management of wine stock-age on Oceania. It seems to be a recurring problem that I have experienced personally on several occasions.

Although shortages of wine have occurred on European cruises our worst experience was on our 34 day circumnavigation of Australia in March of this year we started off from Sydney with no Australian wines on board and proceeded to run out of virtually all white wines within 10 days. The head Sommelier told me she could do nothing as purchasing was done by the head office in Miami. By the time we reached Darwin they were out of most of the wine list and every wine drinker was really upset. Authority was finally given to restock there. Darwin being pretty much at the end of nowhere the wine available was what you might call supermarket quality of Aussie and Kiwi wine. Certainly drinkable but hardly distinguished. One Australian Sav Blanc that was served on the Prestige list I was able to purchase (in a supermarket) for Aus$ 6.95 (roughly US$5.25). I think it was on the wine list for something around $28 plus 18%.

With our experience with wine availability (and cost) on Oceania we generally bring our own and pay the corkage fee. We brought a case of Australian wine onboard in Sydney and restocked along the way but many were very disappointed.

Bottom line - Oceania needs to pay more attention to their wine program. I realize that it is a complex logistical problem to acquire and prestock wine at ports around the world but it is not rocket science. Perhaps a bit more authority to purchase should be given to the Hotel Manager and/or head Som. At one point on our Australian cruise I suggested to the head Som that a special wine list featuring Australian wines would be popular and sell well. She had already thought of this but was unable to get authority to buy the wines in Sydney. This is simple bad business - a missed opportunity.

Meanwhile, the wonderful Oceania policy for bringing your own wine onboard is our lifesaver. Thanks for that, Oceania!

Robbie

I don't think that there is a difference in the wine by the glass list for the classic and prestige package.

It is the same for both packages - the only difference is you can get wines on the list at any time - rather than only lunch and dinner. Plus other mixed drinks on the Prestige package.

We ran out of most wines on our summer cruise. To O’s benefit we were sailing Norway and Northern Russia. Alcohol taxes are outrageous in Norway making buying anything there unlikely, and it’s doubtful the WhiteSea ports of Russia had any wine of value. Given that, I was surprised they hadn’t done a better job of pre stocking the ship in Copenhagen. By the end of the cruise it was either drink the stuff no one had earlier wanted or don’t drink wine. Was amazed they didn’t restock in Amsterdam.

I am really thankful (too) for liberal policy of bringing wine on board... and will gladly pay the corkage fee,however,disappointed about scarcity of semi-decent / decent wine as reported by people in prior posts , since our own wine is limited for drinking during meals ..and in our cabin,and NOT other places ,so it would be nice for Oceania to improve the situation for better quality and availabillity .

Also ,still waiting to hear about wines served on Regent

One big reason I avoid the package (aside from the fact that I don't drink enough to justify the cost especially since DH drinks hardly at all) is the per glass limitation ... by that I mean the limitation of choices. If there were a package that let me buy a BOTTLE (as I do from the list when we don't have wines that we have brought on board) then I might consider it.

Although that probably wouldn't pay either since there's no way I drink a bottle a day!

We had dinner with our neighbors on our recent cruise where the husband said he drinks two bottles a day, but from what we saw at dinner I'd say he drinks much more than that ... for him the package was definitely worth it.

Mura

We ran out of most wines on our summer cruise. To O’s benefit we were sailing Norway and Northern Russia. Alcohol taxes are outrageous in Norway making buying anything there unlikely, and it’s doubtful the WhiteSea ports of Russia had any wine of value. Given that, I was surprised they hadn’t done a better job of pre stocking the ship in Copenhagen. By the end of the cruise it was either drink the stuff no one had earlier wanted or don’t drink wine. Was amazed they didn’t restock in Amsterdam.

Thanks for the confirmation Pinotlover (love that screen name). We took that cruise a few years ago and had a similar experience. What's puzzling to me is that, properly managed, wine sales are a significant profit center. It is conventional wisdom that wine and liquor profits are the backbone of profitability for high end restaurants. With Oceania's ability to buy large quantities, wholesale, in countries where prices and taxes are low, combined with the fact that their wine list prices are as high or higher that domestic high end restaurants margins have to be spectacular. Hard to believe Oceania is leaving money on the table but that seems to be the case. I would also note that the quality of their food deserves good quality wine and reliably available wine list. They go together. Finally, they seem to be irritating a significant portion of buyers of their "Prestige Package" by not meeting the promised availability and variety. That is really bad business.

Robbie

Let me start by saying I think this was my best cruise ever on Oceania. 18 days from Rome to Miami with almost perfect weather and great people. We had 120 people show up for the Meet and Greet in Horizons on Nov 14th. First time I saw so many staff show up for a Meet and Greet.

It was also the first time I took the Prestige package and that's where I was a bit disappointed. For anyone who has favorite wines by the glass from past cruises, Frescobaldi Chianti Castiglioni, Macon Chaintre Chardonnay, Hoffman Chardonnay and Spellbound Merlot are no longer on the menu. The replacement Chianti was not one that I liked . The replacement chardonnay was Pouilly Fuisse which was fine except that it was almost gone after the first week and all gone a week before the end of the cruise.

Catherine,

I am not disagreeing with, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I found the wines by the glass to be very acceptable. We also had the premium beverage package and enjoyed all the wines we drank. We are not wine connoisseurs by any stretch of the imagination, however, we do belong to about 10 wine clubs in Napa Valley/Sonoma County, so we are used to drinking some very good whites and reds. In addition, we belong to a wine club in Oregon which is as you may know is Pinot Noir Country.

For lunch I drank the French Rose, which was a dry wine, don't recall the name and the Ryder Chardonnay. In the evenings I drank the Pinot, Merlot or Cabernet. All very respectable tasting wines.

I also drank both the Prosecco and the Champagne, both had good bubbles and great taste.

I guess everyone's palate is just a little different.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Catherine,

I am not disagreeing with, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I found the wines by the glass to be very acceptable. We also had the premium beverage package and enjoyed all the wines we drank. We are not wine connoisseurs by any stretch of the imagination, however, we do belong to about 10 wine clubs in Napa Valley/Sonoma County, so we are used to drinking some very good whites and reds. In addition, we belong to a wine club in Oregon which is as you may know is Pinot Noir Country.

For lunch I drank the French Rose, which was a dry wine, don't recall the name and the Ryder Chardonnay. In the evenings I drank the Pinot, Merlot or Cabernet. All very respectable tasting wines.

I also drank both the Prosecco and the Champagne, both had good bubbles and great taste.

I guess everyone's palate is just a little different.

James

It wasn't so much the choices as the fact that I was looking forward to drinking wines I had on previous cruises and except for Montaudon, all my favorites were gone. I went through all the reds on the list before I found St Jean Cabernet Sauvignon which I did enjoy.

Still a great cruise and amazing weather. I hear the weather has turned nasty for the Dec 2nd cruise.

It wasn't so much the choices as the fact that I was looking forward to drinking wines I had on previous cruises and except for Montaudon, all my favorites were gone. I went through all the reds on the list before I found St Jean Cabernet Sauvignon which I did enjoy.

Still a great cruise and amazing weather. I hear the weather has turned nasty for the Dec 2nd cruise.

Sorry for misunderstanding the tone of your first post. I am rather disappointed in most posters just being so negative about everything.

I think this site is great for getting to know people who are going to be on a cruise and to exchange information, either private tours or sharing transportation.

CC is a great way to share information, which is a good thing.

We too are very upset that the white wine we preferred was gone by day 6 of an 18 day cruise. We pay a lot of money for the prestige package and expect a quality product. This shortage has happened on every cruise we have taken since the inception of the packages.

The cruise itself was wonderful otherwise. I am not here to be so negative but I do think O has to address this issue as you cannot promote a program that you cannot deliver.

In reading these comments I'm glad that we haven't taken the package. Perhaps O should reconsider the wines by the glass that are being offered. While not everyone is unhappy with the available wines, clearly many are.

For us, given the amount we imbibe, we are happy to bring on a few bottles which may be replenished along the way. And if we are in a top suite, we have a few bottles there.

I'm glad to see that O hasn't changed the rules about bringing on your own since they introduced the packages. As I reiterate every time I post on this subject (!) -- I know, you're all probably tired of this -- as long as my choices for wine with the package (whether the basic one or the prestige) are limited ... I won't do it.

Also, many seem to object to presenting a card when buying a glass of whatever. Since we've always presented a card at that time, it doesn't bother us to continue doing so!

Mura

I think the issue at hand is the logical management of inventories. It was neither logical or practical for individuals or Oceania to buy wine in Norway or Artic Russia. One is not going to get of the ship in Nordcapp or Archangel and buy wine. The same can be said about several South Pacific sailings. Oceania, with their multiple years of experience, should fully realize they are the only game in town and stock accordingly. As has been pointed out, it is a profit opportunity for them.

Meanwhile, on our just completed cruise, Athens- Rome, opportunities to buy high quality local wines existed in every port for cruisers. That was our first cruise of taking no drinks package at all. I get the feeling from talking with their staff that Miami ( all decisions come from Miami) takes a “one size fits all” approach to their inventory management decisions. That being X number of people for Y days = Z inventory, all regardless of location and other considerations. I think the prevailing thought here is that one size fits all mind set leads to passenger disappointment on certain cruises.

Should it be a passenger expectation to arrive in Barcelona a few days early so to buy a case, plus, of wine because the ship will probably run out of its better wines halfway through a BCN-MIA TA? Is that practical on a Papeete to Peru voyage?

Pinotlover makes a sound analysis. It is indeed a matter of logical management of inventories and I also expect he is correct that Miami staff is using a very simple and quite flawed model for wine inventories for each cruise. Given how rapidly they ran out of wine on our Australian cruise it is also quite possible that they are not even effectively implementing whatever model they are using. One way or another - bad management.

In addition to his observation that availability of local wine during the cruise affects on board purchases I would add that the very nature of the cruise; 7 day vs 34 day for example; port intensive or not; age demographics, etc. are all significant variables in wine purchase. One would hope that Oceania has records of how much and what wines were sold on each cruise. If they do it would be a fun spreadsheet exercise to search out the patterns. If they do not have the data they should consider asking their head Sommeliers or the hotel managers for their input. Most of those folks strike me as extremely competent and experienced.

Robbie

Excuse me? Is Oceania middle in a cruise telling guests that booked a package, that they do not have more wines available?

Why do they sell packages if they cannot provide what they have offered? This I would not expect from a cruise line like Oceania, which sells itself as a premium plus cruiseline.

Excuse me? Is Oceania middle in a cruise telling guests that booked a package, that they do not have more wines available?

Why do they sell packages if they cannot provide what they have offered? This I would not expect from a cruise line like Oceania, which sells itself as a premium plus cruiseline.

I believe that it was a case of the supply of the more popular wines being exhausted, rather than the ship running out of wine entirely, but I am with you when you say that even THAT is unacceptable.

I'm told by people who should be in the know that the short supply was partly a result of their trying to gauge typical consumption against their all inclusive ships.

Apparently people who buy into a package rather than have it included in their fare drink more.....a lot more.

I believe that it was a case of the supply of the more popular wines being exhausted, rather than the ship running out of wine entirely, but I am with you when you say that even THAT is unacceptable.

I'm told by people who should be in the know that the short supply was partly a result of their trying to gauge typical consumption against their all inclusive ships.

Apparently people who buy into a package rather than have it included in their fare drink more.....a lot more.

I read that the cruise ship industry buys more wine from producers and any other single entity. Costco is second.

We have seen more than one person on a package order a glass of wine and leave most of it because they were going to dinner or moving out to round the pool from the Terrace etc, had they "paid" in hard cash they would have tackled the arduous task of walking a few hundred yards with their glass in hand.