Really Comparing cruises....

kjwinston2019

I went to Celebrity web site, to compare pricing on a upcoming 2019 cruise. Then I decided to look at all the 10 day cruises in April of 2019, wow what a difference in price?

Caribbean cruise in an Aft SV was $4605 for 2

Hawaii Cruise in the same room Aft SV was $8143 for 2

West Coast cruise on the Infinity aft was $ 8309 for 2

All 10 day, all with the insurance package, tips, classic beverage,

Why is the west coast so expensive vs. the east coast? Just asking...

KJ

If you want a real shock check out Med prices for a RS....More than double the Caribbean pricing on some routes...

We have loved cruising the Med and it is indeed a great way to spot places you want to return to. However, with easy, short and relatively cheap flights from the UK I think we will be visiting our favourite ports on land and use cruising for the Caribbean and Asia/Australia...

Supply and demand...Carib ports still not ready for guests so people are passing ..looking for something else.

Just read an article saying land based Carib hotels are in demand as others not able to receive guests.

Cruise to Hawaii and west coast is mainly in US water, would the wages paid to the crew impact the price? I would think so as there may be requirements to have more expensive US staff in those waters?

As long as the ship stops in a foreign port then I understand they are exempt from paying US wages. Our round trip to Hawaii from San Diego stopped in Mexico for that reason.

As Chezmarylou said, the Hawaii cruises always include a stop in Mexico, typically Ensenada, which is just south of San Diego and Tijuana, MX. The only cruise I am aware of that is an exception is on NCL, which has a ship based in Honolulu, the Pride of America (it is US-flagged), doing 7-day cruises of the Hawaiian Islands. I believe the staff on that ship are mostly US citizens.

Our California Coastal cruise on the Infinity in September also included the stop in Ensenada.

So let me understand, that these cruises to Hawaii are more popular than the Caribbean? This is why they are double in Price. If this is true you would think to keep a Cruise ship on the Pacific side?

The ships sale full at a higher price because there are a limited number of cruises on Celebrity. A west coast ship would have to complete with Princess along with others. Princess can't fill their ships at high rates because there are plenty of itineraries available.

As others have said Caribbean cruises have many more options to pick from. Celebrity Solstice does 2 cruises to or from Hawaii per year. We have done the Hawaii/Vancouver cruise 3 times and have or 4 booked for April 2019. Same with the west coast Celebrity cruises, only 2 to 4 cruises per year. We just got back from 14 nights on Reflection last month. We canceled our March 2018 B2B Caribbean cruise. We booked a Celebrity Millie Asia cruise for March 2018 instead. You might take a look at the Australia to Hawaii cruise prices. We are looking to cruise to or from Australia to Vancouver fall of 2019 or April 2020.

So the rule of supply and demand, with the next "edge" group of ships will help in lowering the rates of Celebrity. I just hope that since getting the next newer ships that they don't sell the Millennian ships. I love the Milly, Infinity and Summit. I hope the edge ships won't replace them. Would be nice to get back the 14 day voyages to Hawaii. as I see some coming out of LA instead of San Diego.

I went to Celebrity web site, to compare pricing on a upcoming 2019 cruise. Then I decided to look at all the 10 day cruises in April of 2019, wow what a difference in price?

Caribbean cruise in an Aft SV was $4605 for 2

Hawaii Cruise in the same room Aft SV was $8143 for 2

West Coast cruise on the Infinity aft was $ 8309 for 2

All 10 day, all with the insurance package, tips, classic beverage,

Why is the west coast so expensive vs. the east coast? Just asking...

KJ

Celebrity's pricing with the bundling of beverage packages has really increased prices. However, I am still amazed to see a 10 day cruise for two at over eight thousand dollars. That is ridiculous. We have done 10 cruises with X since 2011 and never paid more than $6K for two for a two week cruise.

So the rule of supply and demand, with the next "edge" group of ships will help in lowering the rates of Celebrity. I just hope that since getting the next newer ships that they don't sell the Millennian ships. I love the Milly, Infinity and Summit. I hope the edge ships won't replace them. Would be nice to get back the 14 day voyages to Hawaii. as I see some coming out of LA instead of San Diego.

One cruise round trip Hawaii on the Eclipse is Oct 27,2019. We booked it when Chezmaryann posted it. 9days at sea, 4 islands and yes must stop in Ensenada due to the Jones act. Yes it costs more than the Caribbean, but have one cruise to the Caribbean want to do,this one again. It will be our third time, love sea days, and no airline flights.

Not all cruise line schedules for 2019 have been released yet, but a quick check of my favorite TA's web site for April 2018 shows 28 sailings across all cruise lines labeled "Hawaii" vs 318 for "Caribbean". In May however number of "Caribbean" sailings drops to 240 as ships reposition back to Europe. Having to fill all those berths keeps the Caribbean a relative bargain.

Celebrity's pricing with the bundling of beverage packages has really increased prices. However, I am still amazed to see a 10 day cruise for two at over eight thousand dollars. That is ridiculous. We have done 10 cruises with X since 2011 and never paid more than $6K for two for a two week cruise.

I totally agree, as we are doing Greece and Italy inn S1 for 7,400. You add the airfare and that sends it up much higher. If Celebrity can get a higher price, they are certainly going to push the limits and keep the stockholders happy!

I booked this cruise for the West Coast venue. (Hawaii-LA) . I live in Colorado however, so I can drive there with no plane fare. It is relatively the same price for me as the last Caribbean 11 nighter out of Florida with plane fare in Aqua class. I think it would probably depend on the cabin you choose and the town-state-country you reside in.Cheers!