With prices so high caribbean looks the best value

gordylad

Caribbean easily the cheapest area to cruise in.

This time of year, just before xmas cheapest time to cruise.

Would avoid hurricane season like the plague for obvious reasons, now matter how good the deal looked.

The Caribbean is not even close to being the most interesting place in the world to cruise in though. When spending just a few hours a day on an island you run a very real risk of them all looking far too similar. It's different when spending a land vacation on the islands where you can appreciate their individual character though.

It is however a great choice for those who enjoy water sports.

For people who just want to chill out and do very little it takes some beating too.

Just my two penneth....

Caribbean easily the cheapest area to cruise in.

This time of year, just before xmas cheapest time to cruise.

Would avoid hurricane season like the plague for obvious reasons, now matter how good the deal looked.

The Caribbean is not even close to being the most interesting place in the world to cruise in though. When spending just a few hours a day on an island you run a very real risk of them all looking far too similar. It's different when spending a land vacation on the islands where you can appreciate their individual character though.

It is however a great choice for those who enjoy water sports.

For people who just want to chill out and do very little it takes some beating too.

Just my two penneth....

We have done one Caribbean cruise. It was fun, but not high on our list of cruises. We prefer visiting interesting cultural and historical places as well as very scenic places (like Alaska or Around the Horn of South America). We are not big beach people, since as seniors, we don't want to lay in the sun and increase our changes of skin cancer. We find Repositioning or transatlantic cruises to be relatively cheap, so we plan a land trip in conjunction with one of those.

For those who leave in the south Florida area - you get lucky with the low pricing. For those of us who have to fly in, stay the night in a hotel, and then fly home - it doesn't make since to book a cruise, just because it is cheap. My husband and I don't find the Caribbean islands that nice. But we did two different cruises to check it out. We live on the west coast near LA and will start taking the last minute cruises out of the LA area once husband retires next year. We will only go if the price is right - if we don't like a stop, then we won't get off the ship..

Having looked around at prices for future sailing it seems caribbean sailings look to offer the best value.

Any thoughts?

Maybe cheap cruises offered because of the recent hurricanes, assaults and murders of tourists in some of the Caribbean countries? Like Jamaica, Turks, and Aruba?

If you are looking for a convenient way to get out of the cold weather you can’t beat the Caribbean cruises When we lived up north we would fly to San Juan and take the Celebrity Summit. While we would dine and enjoy the shows the ship would take us to our next beach. You get to 5 ports (beaches) on a one week cruise.

October 2019, Eclipse "Vancouver to Hawaii" or "Hawaii to Vancouver" or "LA-Honolulu-LA", Veranda 2C around $500 PerPaxPerDay

March 2018, Eclipse 14 Night Exotic Southern Caribbean, Veranda 2C around $140 PerPaxPerDay

Dec 12th 2017 Celebrity Summit 11 night Dutch Antilles. Aqua Class A1 around $60 per pax per day with classic drinks package thrown in. :D

Maybe cheap cruises offered because of the recent hurricanes, assaults and murders of tourists in some of the Caribbean countries? Like Jamaica, Turks, and Aruba?

Sorry, but Aruba's murder rate is less than the United States......

You want a high murder rate? United States Virgin Islands (US) is well above Jamaica's.

Having looked around at prices for future sailing it seems caribbean sailings look to offer the best value.

Any thoughts?

For sure there are a lot of ships in the Caribbean and prices are competitive. Trouble is I’ve done the Caribbean a number of times and I’m bored with it. A lot of the islands are very similar and there are many more places in the world I’d rather go. Just need to spend more and maybe do fewer cruises and that for me is preferable,

Phil

For sure there are a lot of ships in the Caribbean and prices are competitive. Trouble is I’ve done the Caribbean a number of times and I’m bored with it. A lot of the islands are very similar and there are many more places in the world I’d rather go. Just need to spend more and maybe do fewer cruises and that for me is preferable,

Phil

We go every year even though we lived there for many many years. Getting away from the Canadian winter is good enough for me. Sitting in a Floridah condo sounds to me like a hold-message waiting for death. :cool:

Change the scenery each day, feed and water me as if I was royalty, short and sandals in February.... I'm good.

We go every year even though we lived there for many many years. Getting away from the Canadian winter is good enough for me. Sitting in a Floridah condo sounds to me like a hold-message waiting for death. :cool:

Change the scenery each day, feed and water me as if I was royalty, short and sandals in February.... I'm good.

For sure everyone is different. Just saying how I feel. I’d rather spend my money going to some different places. Of course the Caribbean is quite a way for me to fly too, but no doubting some of the bargains in comparison.

Phil

The important thing for all of us is to get what we want from a cruise....

For sunshine and a crash out the Caribbean is hard to beat. We are familiar with many of the islands so when we visit we either look for something different to do, a revisit of a favourite location or enjoying an empty ship!

Prices probably won't increase when some of these 6,000 + passenger mega ships are finally built and deployed there. Although cruising keeps gaining in popularity I do think we might just see a tipping point where cabins outnumber passengers. If that does happen I'd suspect the Caribbean market would be hit harder than anywhere else.

What murders and any higher than other places like NY or DC?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Phil

We have cruised the Caribbean a number of times. Just back last month from 14 nights on Reflection. We canceled our March Caribbean b2b cruise and booked a March 14 night Asia cruise on Millie. If we all liked the same things, things might get boring.

Interesting topic. We have done 3 Caribbean cruises, and I don't think we are bored yet. We try to choose different itineraries so that we see different places (I really don't want to see St. Maarten and St. Kitts again) but if we do happen to end up at a repeat port it is not the end of the world. The main attraction is the ship and the ocean, the relaxation and of course to escape from the Canadian winter - and if we can do that relatively cheaply in the Caribbean - why not? We like to do interesting/culturally adventurous land based trips as well (off to Vietnam next month)...but I am not a snob about cruising the Caribbean.

Makes interesting if not slightly depressing reading...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195331/number-of-murders-in-the-us-by-state/

Wow... Missouri all by itself had more murders than my entire country. :eek:

BTW excitedofharpenden, I guess I am a bit of a lucky duck in so far as I travel 3 to 4 months a year. This year (Sept to Aug) closer to five. And travel for pleasure, not work. Just being places even if I do nothing is cool.

cp-homicide-rates.png

I will agree with you with the West coast vs. the East coast. Hawaii is pretty expensive, Alaska is very expensive and Europe, must add in the air fare is wow...So what do you want to do before you die? We chose this year the Caribbean, why? for the 11 days it is the the cheapest as a suite, to get per day. I am hoping soon when they get more ships to the west coast that what ever the cruise is will be cheaper.

Makes interesting if not slightly depressing reading...

https://www.statista.com/statistics/195331/number-of-murders-in-the-us-by-state/

The crime rate is high in the USA, but if you pinpoint where the crime takes place, particularly violent crime, you would see that it is concentrated in certain areas, mostly slums. We live on an island in coastal Georgia with a tourist draw. The island has a very low crime rate, however, go to certain places in Atlanta and it is very high. Of course, we know about those areas and never go into those areas.

If you check the crime rates for many of the ports in the Caribbean, you find high crime rates for many, in particular some of those Central American countries where the drug cartels have taken over. Wandering about on your own, may not be as safe as taking a group tour.