MDR Etiquette Question

SeasideMemories

We are booked on what will be our 4th cruise with Celebrity next May and have selected Early Traditional Dining for the first time.

The first 2 cruises we were Aqua and dined in Blu at a table for 2. The last cruise we chose Select with a table for 2.

We really did enjoy conversations with those at the tables next to us on our previous cruises, especially since the tables are really close. But our table, while close, was still separate. This will be our first time dining at the same table with others so have a few questions.

We like to try different foods and may at times order 2 appetizers (or none if nothing looks good) or an entree plus one to share, or maybe even 2 each if it's a really good night, etc. So not necessarily picking one from each category. I also tend to be a bit of a slow eater. Are we going to mess up the service flow if we do that?

I'm guessing that if we will not be at dinner on a particular night, we should let our table mates and server know so they are not waiting for us. Correct?

With the current specialty dining package discount sale we are considering buying a 6 night specialty pkg (which is the smallest pkg with the discount). On a 10 day cruise if we were to be eating elsewhere for 6 of the days would that be rude to our fellow table mates?

Considering maybe getting on the waitlist for Select if that would make more sense for us.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

As a courtesy, whenever we are seated with others in the MDR, we do ask how many plates they are ordering so we can stay on schedule with everyone else and not create a delay or extra work for the waiters. Are you rude if you don't ... no, not at all. They will coordinate your plates with everyone else. However, if you are slow to finish your meal, as you mention, it may hold up others at the table so it might be a consideration to choose either a table for two or select dining. Oftentimes, your fellow diners may want to get to the theater a bit early for a good seat at the show. Plus, with the early dining, the waiters will need time to serve everyone and get the dining room cleared and ready for the next group of diners so you may want to keep that in mind.

If you have traditional dining, it is also considerate to let the hostess and your table mates know if you are not going to be present at dinner (if you know ahead of time). That way, your waiter and your table mates won't be waiting for you. Also, they will sometimes seat people from the anytime dining in your space if they know the seats will be available and they have long lines waiting to be seated.

As a courtesy, whenever we are seated with others in the MDR, we do ask how many plates they are ordering so we can stay on schedule with everyone else and not create a delay or extra work for the waiters...

When you choose to eat with others and they have chosen to eat with you, no need to try to coordinate schedules, in my opinion. My wife often orders 3 or 4 starters for her meal, I might have a salad, maybe a soup, probably a Main, maybe a dessert, coffee, drink. It is the waiter’s problem to keep our plates flowing smoothly. If I sit and wait, or if she or other table mates do, so what? We are talking about a leisurely sit down dinner here, not a fast food restaurant. We are on a cruise, there is no where to go, relax and enjoy the conversation. If you Must go to a show or other scheduled event, get up and leave. Or eat in the Oceanview. Or schedule your dining for after the Event.

If you do choose specialty on some evenings, then yes it is nice to let the waiter and tablemates know ahead of time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

When you choose to eat with others and they have chosen to eat with you, no need to try to coordinate schedules, in my opinion. My wife often orders 3 or 4 starters for her meal, I might have a salad, maybe a soup, probably a Main, maybe a dessert, coffee, drink. It is the waiter’s problem to keep our plates flowing smoothly. If I sit and wait, or if she or other table mates do, so what? We are talking about a leisurely sit down dinner here, not a fast food restaurant. We are on a cruise, there is no where to go, relax and enjoy the conversation. If you Must go to a show or other scheduled event, get up and leave. Or eat in the Oceanview. Or schedule your dining for after the Event.

If you do choose specialty on some evenings, then yes it is nice to let the waiter and tablemates know ahead of time.

There is a limit to a slow dinner. We really don't want to sit and wait while table mates have multiples of one course. The MDR is not a relaxing place with all the clanging dishes and other noise. Getting up and leaving before our last course is presented is not fair is we have already waited while someone else is enjoying a second entrée during what should be our dessert and coffee time

You asked about seeming to be rude if you chose to eat Specialty 6 nights out of 10. Once we did something similar - 5 nights out of 10, and we could tell our tablemates felt uncomfortable with us doing that, and frankly somewhat miffed. It gets really awkward when some of them would do a specialty here and there, and sometimes there were only 2 people at a table for 10. We didn't intend to cause discomfort, but would never do that again.

There is a limit to a slow dinner. We really don't want to sit and wait while table mates have multiples of one course. The MDR is not a relaxing place with all the clanging dishes and other noise. Getting up and leaving before our last course is presented is not fair is we have already waited while someone else is enjoying a second entrée during what should be our dessert and coffee time

When I've been at a communal table, I've often seen the server bring the two ordered entrees at the same time.

We booked a table for 2 on early dining seating

We could still talk to our neighbours

Our waitress advised us of what was good each night

Offered to get us 2 of certain things , would let us order all over the menu

You don’t have to march in at 6-15 on the dot , people were still coming in at 6-45 with no problems

We dine select and on a table for two. As has already been mentioned the "Tables for two" are very close together and one can choose whether to interact with neighbouring tables or not. The real beauty of a table for two is that food comes at our pace and we don't have to wait or hold others up whilst dining. If we end up being seated with a wait staff that we particularly like we will ask to be seated in that section, aware that we may have to wait for a table. On a recent cruise on the Constellation whilst we were select we were often taken downstairs to a table. It didn't matter to us, a table is a table. What we did find important was getting to know one's sommelier more than the waiter. The sommelier can perform all sorts of miracles with supplied wines that we don't even see behind the shades. To be honest do most of know what is a premium wine and what is a Classic wine. If I enjoy it that's what concerns me

I will never forget when we invited a roll call member and her friend to join us for dinner the first night of the cruise (We were already a group of 6 and had select dining). We were seated shortly after 6pm.

The friend ordered at least 4 starters. She was a very slooooow talker. The other 7 of us had finished our appetizers, but this gal talked more than she nibbled. We waited and waited and our poor waiter hovered nearby hoping to clear her plates and be able to serve the rest of us our entrees. I finally spoke to him quietly and said, "Please, don't wait for her- we want to make the 9pm show!" He replied that he was trained to wait until all at the table were done with their starters before serving entrees.

So, my advice to the OP is that it is probably best to dine at your own table. If not, please tell your tablemates and your server to go ahead with the others orders rather than wait until you are ready for the next course.

This comment is not directed to any poster on this thread, just my opinion: As far as expecting those at one's table or the waitstaff to accommodate an extremely slow diner who orders multiple courses, I think that's a tad self-centered.

Well well, we will still do this as a courtesy to others ... we have been on over 50 sailings and for us, it really is the polite thing to do. It is not as though we like rushing through dinner (we never go to fast food restaurants) but don't like to sit for over 2.5 hours for dinner and we certainly are cognizant that we don't want others to have to do the same for us. To each is own ....

I will never forget when we invited a roll call member and her friend to join us for dinner the first night of the cruise (We were already a group of 6 and had select dining). We were seated shortly after 6pm.

The friend ordered at least 4 starters. She was a very slooooow talker. The other 7 of us had finished our appetizers, but this gal talked more than she nibbled. We waited and waited and our poor waiter hovered nearby hoping to clear her plates and be able to serve the rest of us our entrees. I finally spoke to him quietly and said, "Please, don't wait for her- we want to make the 9pm show!" He replied that he was trained to wait until all at the table were done with their starters before serving entrees.

So, my advice to the OP is that it is probably best to dine at your own table. If not, please tell your tablemates and your server to go ahead with the others orders rather than wait until you are ready for the next course.

This comment is not directed to any poster on this thread, just my opinion: As far as expecting those at one's table or the waitstaff to accommodate an extremely slow diner who orders multiple courses, I think that's a tad self-centered.

So what happened during the rest of the cruise? Was it just a one night thing?

Once we did something similar - 5 nights out of 10, and we could tell our table mates felt uncomfortable with us doing that, and frankly somewhat miffed.
That was one of my big concerns so thank you for addressing that! I was on the fence when we were looking at just 3-4 nights dining elsewhere. Six nights, as I expected, would really not be good.

When I've been at a communal table, I've often seen the server bring the two ordered entrees at the same time.

That has been my experience as well. I wouldn’t dream of ordering more than one thing if it meant they were brought out one at a time while everyone sat and waited!

What we did find important was getting to know one's sommelier more than the waiter. The sommelier can perform all sorts of miracles with supplied wines that we don't even see behind the shades.

Yes!

We booked a table for 2 on early dining seating.
I didn’t even know you could do this!

Just to clarify, I’m talking ordering one or two things extra and not everything on the menu. I am a “little” bit of a slow eater but we’re not talking hours slow…lol

I didn’t know that you could ask for a table for 2 in Traditional Dining. Called Captain’s Club today and had that request noted on my reservation!

Seems like the perfect solution to me!

Many thanks to all who took time from their day to respond! It is truly appreciated!

Glad you found a solution. I agree, the communal tables work well for some who want to make friends and have table mates. But we really prefer to have dinner at our own pace; on both sides. Sometimes we do multiple apps and dessert plus coffee and eat at a leisurely pace; sometimes we are in a rush to catch a show.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You asked about seeming to be rude if you chose to eat Specialty 6 nights out of 10. Once we did something similar - 5 nights out of 10, and we could tell our tablemates felt uncomfortable with us doing that, and frankly somewhat miffed. It gets really awkward when some of them would do a specialty here and there, and sometimes there were only 2 people at a table for 10. We didn't intend to cause discomfort, but would never do that again.

I would say the problem was with the other table mates, not you. I would suggest that it is your cruise to do as you wish. I would let them know you would not be there to avoid them waiting though.

And, order as you see fit. It's not a problem.

We booked a table for 2 on early dining seating

We could still talk to our neighbours

Our waitress advised us of what was good each night

Offered to get us 2 of certain things , would let us order all over the menu

You don’t have to march in at 6-15 on the dot , people were still coming in at 6-45 with no problems

In the past we asked several times to have a table for two on traditional dining and ended up with tables for 8, 6 & 4. We now use either Blu when in Aqua or Select dining. Surely it isn't possible to accommodate all the requests for tables for two in traditional dining ?

You can request a table for two in Traditional dining but you are not guaranteed to get it!

After boarding check your table number in the restaurant. If you are on a big table go and chat to the M’D. Explain your situation and see if he can either swap you to a table for two or change you to select. Tables for two are popular....if you are only dining in the MDR a few nights it seems a pity that a couple, who were planning on dining in the MDR every night, who may prefer a table for two could be stuck on a big table....Select would just make so much more sense....

Re etiquette on dining with others...OP, you are clearly sensitive to others and consequently I do not think your odd extra starter or slower eating would be an issue if you do end up sharing a table. The snag with shared tables are the guests who focus only on their own needs! In our very early cruising days we did share a few tables and met some nice people but we also met a lady who did nothing but complain, a man who every night dominated the conversation and another who picked his teeth between courses! When we choose to share tables now it is with fellow guests we already know or new friends part way through the cruise!

Happy sailing!

The waiter should have honored your request to continue service on the normal pace. So you could make the show...He was quite wrong!

So what happened during the rest of the cruise? Was it just a one night thing?

Just the one night. It turned out the roll call member had never sailed with this friend before and probably never did again!

The waiter should have honored your request to continue service on the normal pace. So you could make the show...He was quite wrong!

Once I spoke to the waiter, he was relieved to realize the majority of the table did not expect him to wait for this woman to finish. He then brought our dinners out promptly, the rest of the meal proceeded in time for us to make the show and our group excused ourselves while this woman was still at the table.

Actually not a big deal - or better not a one way street.

I do not expect anyone to wait for me. We do like to try things and will sometimes order two appetizers, or a soup and a salat. Plus we are adapted to the European style of dining - enjoying dinner as a social event and not a rush.

On the other hand I will not force down my dinner in a hurry for anyone trying to make the show. After all, I am on vacation :D If they want to hurry, let them.

Actually not a big deal - or better not a one way street.

I do not expect anyone to wait for me. We do like to try things and will sometimes order two appetizers, or a soup and a salat. Plus we are adapted to the European style of dining - enjoying dinner as a social event and not a rush.

On the other hand I will not force down my dinner in a hurry for anyone trying to make the show. After all, I am on vacation :D If they want to hurry, let them.

So you then don't consider it bad etiquette if you're still eating and others excuse themselves to go off to their evening events?

So you then don't consider it bad etiquette if you're still eating and others excuse themselves to go off to their evening events?

No, not really... if they are in a hurry, I prefer them to leave before I feel rushed. We do not care about shows but rather take our time during dinner. I don´t want them to feel restricted by our preferences - nor will I be restricted by their´s.

I will never understand how people can be on such a tight shedule on a cruise. Trivia here, free drinks at the elite hour there, show etc... We go on cruises to relax and escape the everyday rush. But let them... we are perefctly able to eat our desert by ourselves if we have to :-)

In the past we asked several times to have a table for two on traditional dining and ended up with tables for 8, 6 & 4. We now use either Blu when in Aqua or Select dining. Surely it isn't possible to accommodate all the requests for tables for two in traditional dining ?

We’ve only done 2 cruises , the first time we had a table for 4 ( we had our teenagers with us )

Last time , we booked a table for 2 , and that’s what we had 😀

However, we are U.K. based and cruised from Southampton, and we booked early !

I agree with you. An occasional extra is not a problem but if we're held up and miss shows or courses repeatedly I'd have to change tables. It is not like going out to eat with friends. One's preferences like the poster's before you, are detrimental to those who must share that person's table.