CPAP machine

MJB1437

Thanks! This is all new to us. I think DH was told that his dry mouth is a function of this mouth breathing. He never had dry mouth before sleep apnea came along. That is why they've recommended a nose model to him, not a mouth-model. I really don't know a lot but I guess I will find out tonight.

I'm just excited, that the rest of us will be able to sleep soundly on this cruise. It's taken a few years to convince DH that he needed the machine.

I think he’ll find he wishes he’d gotten one years ago—if he’s like me, he’ll enjoy full, restful nights of sleep, again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

No such luck for us on recent Celebrity cruise from Sydney: Mypartner uses a CPAP machine and we had requestedan extension cord and some water beforehand through Special Needs. Upon arrival on the ship, there was nothing here so we askedour room attendant for it and even tipped her which is highly unusual in Australia- we actually noticed that we were amongst the few guests who ever tipped on the entire cruise (and suspect that these few were Americans where tipping is pretty much a must do).

Even though, later that evening the cord and a bottle of water had just been dumped in the room- no neat fixing or taping on the floor etc. We actually ended up stumbling over the cord all the time during our cruise. Not a good experience I must say.

We usually don’t want the cord taped to the floor. Instead, we unplug the cord and coil it neatly next to the machine when not in use.

Thanks! This is all new to us. I think DH was told that his dry mouth is a function of this mouth breathing. He never had dry mouth before sleep apnea came along. That is why they've recommended a nose model to him, not a mouth-model. I really don't know a lot but I guess I will find out tonight.

I'm just excited, that the rest of us will be able to sleep soundly on this cruise. It's taken a few years to convince DH that he needed the machine.

I have been using a Resmed with a reservoir and heated tube for about two years with a Nasal Pillow. I was surprised on how much I liked it.

I am not an expert, but if your husband is a mouth breather I would think he would need a mask. I am very thankful that I also do not need the mask.

If I need an extension cord while on a cruise, I unplug it from the wall and get it out of the way when not in use.

I received my machine 2 1/2 years ago and never leave home without it. I sleep so much better. I was give the top of the line ResMed version which my brother who was in this business said is state of the art. It has a heated hose that is heated by the cpap unit. There are a lot of options for what you put on your face. I have had good luck with a newer version that just covers the nose.

Not sure how it is for others but I never really dreamed that I know of until I got this machine. I suspect I never got into the deep sleep dreaming mode without waking up from lack of breathing. The biggest benefit for my wife is that I no longer snore while using a CPAP.

• 4 months later...
We usually don’t want the cord taped to the floor. Instead, we unplug the cord and coil it neatly next to the machine when not in use.

I do the same. I have taken my CPAP on Carnival, NCL and RCCL cruises and distilled water and an extension cord has been provided for free by all of them. I would expect it will be the same on my May 2019 Celebrity cruise as well.

By the way. I honestly believe CPAP saved my life. I went a decade without ever having a dream that I could remember. I was never making it to REM sleep. I sleep incredibly well now.

I have been thinking about this as well. From what I can tell you would need some sort of extension cord for it. As for the water, I tend to run it dry half the time, anyhow.... Still maybe someone with experience will be able to comment on it.

I would suggest you contact your travel agent if you are using one or speak to your concierge person at Celebrity. If you ask for distilled water and an extension cord for your C-Pap they will have it available for you when you board the ship. At least that was my experience when I was using a C-Pap machine. Hope this helps.

Edited by Chicago Boy
made a mistake.

• 2 weeks later...
I would suggest you contact your travel agent if you are using one or speak to your concierge person at Celebrity. If you ask for distilled water and an extension cord for your C-Pap they will have it available for you when you board the ship. At least that was my experience when I was using a C-Pap machine. Hope this helps.

Yes. Your cabin attendant will bring a card and water when you board. Just ask!

One suggestion - instead of taping down the extension cord, we put one of the white towels over it at night. It keeps me from tripping over it and gives my feet fair warning that I am near the cord! Since we tend to acquire towels nightly with towel animals, there is never a shortage of towels!

One suggestion - instead of taping down the extension cord, we put one of the white towels over it at night. It keeps me from tripping over it and gives my feet fair warning that I am near the cord! Since we tend to acquire towels nightly with towel animals, there is never a shortage of towels!

Great idea! Then unplug in the morning and put the cord under the bed.

We will be cruising on the Eclipse in March and this will be the first time traveling with a CPAP machine- 2 questions- what do you do about using distilled water for the machine and is the cord long enough to reach the plug?

Myrna

I second all that has been said. I have also - without a reply - urged RCCL to put an outlet near the beds on all new ships and during room re-doing for just this.

Dan

I have found that you can record it all you want before the cruise but in most cases the extension cord or the water will be there.

Its never a big deal as the room attendant will go get it right away.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be cruising on the Eclipse in March and this will be the first time traveling with a CPAP machine- 2 questions- what do you do about using distilled water for the machine and is the cord long enough to reach the plug?

Myrna

Currently (09/08/2018), I am aboard the Celebrity Infinity, anchored off of Santa Barbara Harbor, and I travel with a BiPAP. A month ago, I contacted Celebrity Special Needs ( special_needs@celebrity.com ), who responded that Celebrity would provide me with distilled water an an extension cord, at no additional cost. They said the distilled water and extension cord would be placed in my stateroom on the day of the sailing, and that my request had been noted on my reservation. When we boarded, they were not yet in our stateroom, but when I mentioned them to our Room Steward, Angelo, he immediately went out and got them. I could not be happier with this service, and I certainly sleep better!

07f3f347d139d9163f073ca797c9b529.jpg

Safe Travels!