Renting a car in Barbados

TNhome

If you are considering renting a car in Barbados, consider the following:

Driving is on the BRITISH side of the road.

Most if not ALL cars have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side of the car.

IT does not sound like much of a problem, but can be very confusing for US drivers especially at round-a-bouts.

If you are considering renting a car in Barbados, consider the following:

Driving is on the BRITISH side of the road.

Most if not ALL cars have the steering wheel on the RIGHT side of the car.

IT does not sound like much of a problem, but can be very confusing for US drivers especially at round-a-bouts.

Also most likely a manual gear change.

We hired a cab for the day. He took us everywhere we wanted to go at our own pace and cost us about $100. Well worth the dollar value. He even had a few cold beers for us. There will be a ton of cabs at the port. Just negotiate the price and away you go.

We renred a car in Barbados. What fun. Driving on the "other side of the road" took only a little time to get used to. And I'm 60 so no spring chicken.

I'm willing to be that those telling you reason not to drive haven't rented a car on the island .I am not at home so I can't tell you who we used but would use the again 100% .

I think I posted over in the port of call boards. Last time in Barbados was Dec 2016 so look for posts around that time .

We rent cars on all the islands. Cheaper than most tours for 2 and just a blast stopping where you want for as long as you want.

We did this! I believe it was Avis that’s RIGHT at the port. You must pre-reserve. Many disappointed people came up only to find out there were no cars left. They were very upfront about costs. I couldn’t handle driving on the other side, but DH was totally fine with it. He would do it again. The only dicey part was in Bridgetown a few blocks from the port there was this roundabout that we kept getting confused on and went round and round. Other than that, it was fine.

That said, the person who said they got a taxi for $100 might be a good deal because that’s about the cost of the car rental, and you wouldn’t have the responsibility or stress.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have rented at the port...only one rental agency there...but they only have the vehicles there GOR who pre reserved. It is so much fun...love stopping where we want...beach hopping...we were there late..until 11pm, so even took the car out for dinner...

I don't recall the company as it has been a few years, but we did our one and only Barbados rental. The car was in awful shape - the brakes barely worked and Barbados is quite hilly. I held my breath every time we had to go downhill. I agree that the roads are not in great shape and signage leaves something to be desired. So yes, I HAVE rented a car there, and I definitely do not recommend it based on our experience. Have had much better luck in other ports, so I am not rental car adverse, but there are some ports I would do it (Aruba for example) and others I would not (like Barbados)

Thanks so much for all your responses, we are still trying to decide. Voyager is the only car rental I have found in port, was hoping there were others. This is our fifth or sixth time there so we have done quite a bit on the island. This time there are 5 of us. It just seems like a good idea to rent a car and venture out on our own, hopefully in a safe vehicle.

We hired a cab for the day. He took us everywhere we wanted to go at our own pace and cost us about $100. Well worth the dollar value. He even had a few cold beers for us. There will be a ton of cabs at the port. Just negotiate the price and away you go.

Just thought of the name of the taxi driver! His name is Stobey! There were 4 of us in a regular size van with room enough for another 1 or 2 people. Great guy and very knowledgeable.